Background and activities
Olav Torp has over 20 years of experience in research and teaching activities within the field of Project Management. His main focus has been general project management with special focus on Uncertainty analyses and Uncertainty management in projects and project planning and control activities related to project cost and time.
Torp has over many years worked with companies, especially Norwegian public agencies (Road autorities, railway authorities and Statsbygg) when it comes to cost estimation and uncertainty analysis of project costs and uncertainty management. This through participating in and facilitating a large number of uncertainty analysis processes, development of theoretical and practical frameworks and methods, giving company adapted courses in the field etc.
Torp have been supervisor for a high number of master students through their work with specialization project and master thesis, often in cooperation with companies in the construction industry.
- TBA 4135 Organization and Economy in Building and construction projects (course responsible).
- TBA 4128 Project Management Specialization course (course responsible)
- TBA4155 Project planning and analyzis (giving lectures)
- TBA4315 Transport infrastructure economics (giving lectures)
- Supervisor of TBA4531-Spezialization project (9.semester)
- Supervisor of master thesis work (10. semester
Post graduate courses for the industry (examples):
- BA6202 Project Risk Management (course responsible, both open course and company spesific course)
- BA62XX Project planning and control, basic project management (course responsible, both open course and company spesific course).
- BA6250 Lean building process (course responsible)
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2020) Improvement measures to achieve sustainable construction labour performance. International Journal of Construction Management.
- (2020) Labour productivity statistics: a reality check for the Norwegian construction industry. International Journal of Construction Management. vol. 20 (1).
- (2020) Perspectives on Quality Risk in the Building Process of Blue-Green Roofs in Norway. Buildings. vol. 10 (10).
- (2020) Maturity of TVD Implementation in Norwegian Public Building Projects. Annual Conference of the International Group for Lean Construction.
- (2019) Risk Management in Procurement of Blue-Green Roofs – A Project Owner Perspective. Annual Conference of the International Group for Lean Construction. vol. 27.
- (2019) Influence of Evacuation Walkway Design Parameters on Passenger Evacuation Time along Elevated Rail Transit Lines Using a Multi-Agent Simulation. Sustainability. vol. 11 (21).
- (2017) Cost Estimation Methods for Transport Infrastructure: A Systematic Literature Review. Procedia Engineering. vol. 196.
- (2017) Do Longer Projects Have Larger Cost Deviation Than Shorter Construction Projects?. Procedia Engineering. vol. 196.
- (2017) HSE in Civil Engineering Programs and Industry Expectations. Procedia Engineering. vol. 196.
- (2016) A review of performance measurements for successful Concurrent Construction. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences. vol. 226.
- (2016) Managing Concurrent Construction Projects Using Knowledge Management and Set-based Thinking. Procedia Engineering. vol. 164.
- (2016) A framework for Organizing a Resilient Cost Benefit Analysis for Construction Projects. Procedia Engineering. vol. 145.
- (2016) Selection criteria for project delivery methods for infrastructure projects. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences. vol. 226.
- (2016) Cost Development Over-time at Construction Planning Phase: Empirical Evidence from Norwegian Construction Projects. Procedia Engineering. vol. 145.
- (2016) Challenges in Cost Estimation under Uncertainty - A Case Study of the Decommissioning of Barsebäck Nuclear Power Plant. Administrative Sciences. vol. 6 (4).
- (2016) Success Factors for Early Contractor Involvement (ECI) in Public Infrastructure Projects. Energy Procedia. vol. 96.
- (2014) Uncertainty analysis – 5 challenges with today's practice. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences. vol. 119.
- (2013) Performance measurement in the building design process: a tool for building design managers. Journal of Design Research. vol. 11 (2).
- (2010) Good and simple - a dilemma in analytical processes?. International Journal of Managing Projects in Business. vol. 3 (3).
- (2008) Project ownership: implications on success measurement. Measuring Business Excellence. vol. 12 (1).