Background and activities
Basic and applied research within the field of Environmental and Analytical Chemistry. Use of multi-element analytical techniques for trace element studies in the environment on a local and regional scale, including a special focus on marine area. Development of sensors for industrial surveillance and online monitoring of environmental toxicants and nutrients in natural water, coastal and marine water. Additionally; fundamental research activity concerning marine chemistry and geochemistry
Research activities, examples:
- Development of sensors and online monitoring systems for environmental toxicants and nutrients in natural water, coastal and marine water, and industrial process solutions.
- Use of different analytical techniques (DGT, ICP-MS, voltammetry) for trace element studies in the environment for studying different chemical fractionation and speciation of trace elements in natural waters.
- Interactions between natural organic matter and metals in natural water
- Studies of sediments in river mouth areas connected to e.g. geological and biological aspects
- Sensor technology, and production of nanoscaled sensors for environmental and industrial process monitoring. Development of ion selective electrodes based on solid state and ISFET technology.
- Use of electrochemical techniques for characterization of alloys and metals for studying surface chemistry connected to formation of hydrogen gas on metal surfaces, metal deposition and adsorption processes.
- Effect on climate change on water quality, through how different type of vegetation will produce different type of degradation product resulting in different amounts of natural organic matter by this effect the mobility of trace metals and the water quality.
- Environmental Monitoring and technology connected to oil sand production and activity.
- Monitoring of water quality and new technologies for sustainable and profitable greenhouse production, involving closed hydroponic systems and slow filtration. Nutrient solution management and microbial interactions.
- KJ3050 - Marine Organic Environmental Chemistry
- KJ2072 - Environmental Chemistry
- KJ3073 - Analytical Environmental Chemistry
- SKOLE6624 - Technology and Research - Module I Mining, Environmental Challenge
- KJ3910 - Master Thesis in Environmental Chemistry
- RFEL3070 - Scientific Seminars in Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry
- KJ3051 - Ocean Space: Marine Biogeochemical Processes
- KJ2050 - Analytical Chemistry, Basic Course
- KJ3920 - Master Thesis in Marine Coastal Development
- KJ2900 - Bachelor project in Chemistry
- TKJ4540 - Analytical Chemistry, Specialization Project
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2022) Deciphering the Composition of Fulvic Acids from Recirculating Aquaculture Systems by Quadrupole Time-of-Flight Mass Spectrometry. Water. vol. 14 (16).
- (2022) Impact of ozone treatment on dissolved organic matter in land-based recirculating aquaculture systems studied by Fourier transform ion cyclotron resonance mass spectrometry. Science of the Total Environment. vol. 843.
- (2021) Graphene Oxide/Silver Nanocomposites as Antifouling Coating on Sensor Housing Materials. Journal of cluster science.
- (2021) The Development of Polydimethysiloxane/ZnO–GO Antifouling Coatings. Journal of cluster science.
- (2020) Characterizing changes of dissolved organic matter composition with the use of distinct feeds in recirculating aquaculture systems via high-resolution mass spectrometry. Science of the Total Environment. vol. 749.
- (2020) Chemical assessment of marine sediments in vicinity of Norwegian fish farms – A pilot study. Science of the Total Environment. vol. 732.
- (2020) Biofilms grown in aquatic microcosms affect mercury and selenium accumulation in Daphnia. Ecotoxicology. vol. 29 (4).
- (2020) Real-time monitoring of chemical water quality in closed-loop hydroponics. Acta Horticulturae. vol. 1296.
- (2020) A salty start: Brackish water start-up as a microbial management strategy for nitrifying bioreactors with variable salinity. Science of the Total Environment. vol. 739.
- (2020) Biofilms remember: Osmotic stress priming as a microbial management strategy for improving salinity acclimation in nitrifying biofilms. Water Research. vol. 176.
- (2019) Trace elements and polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) in terrestrial compartments of Svalbard, Norwegian Arctic. Science of the Total Environment. vol. 685.
- (2019) Effect of CO2 on elemental concentrations in recirculating aquaculture system tanks. Aquaculture. vol. 511.
- (2019) Influence of rate of salinity increase on nitrifying biofilms. Journal of Cleaner Production. vol. 238.
- (2017) The presence of mercury and other trace metals in surface soils in the Norwegian Arctic. Chemosphere. vol. 188.
- (2015) Dynamic behaviour of trace metals in the Deûle River impacted by recurrent polluted sediment resuspensions: From diel to seasonal evolutions. Science of the Total Environment. vol. 506-507.
- (2011) Evidence of highly dynamic geochemical behaviour of zinc in the Deule river (northern France). Journal of Environmental Monitoring. vol. 13 (8).
- (2010) Automatic trace metal monitoring station use for early warning and short term events in polluted rivers: application to streams loaded by mining tailing. Journal of Environmental Monitoring. vol. 12.
- (2010) On metal diagenesis in contaminated sediments of the Deûle river (northern France). Applied Geochemistry. vol. 25 (9).
- (2010) Nafion Coated Silver Amalgam Electrode for Determination of Trace Metals by Anodic Stripping Voltammetry. Electroanalysis. vol. 22 (5).
- (2009) Determination of Manganese in Natural Media by Anodic Stripping Voltammetry Using a Rotating Solid Silver Amalgam Electrode. Electroanalysis. vol. 21 (3-5).