Background and activities
I am head of the Community Dynamics research area at the Centre for Biodiversity Dynamics (CBD). CBD is a Norwegian Centre of excellence (SFF). I am also part of the Ecology research group at the Department of Biology at NTNU
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2020) High-Arctic family planning: earlier spring onset advances age at first reproduction in barnacle geese. Biology Letters. vol. 16.
- (2020) The Moran effect revisited: spatial population synchrony under global warming. Ecography. vol. 43.
- (2020) When does weather synchronise life history traits? Spatiotemporal patterns in juvenile body mass of two ungulates. Journal of Animal Ecology.
- (2020) Urban aliens and threatened near-naturals: Land-cover affects the species richness of alien- and threatened species in an urban-rural setting. Scientific Reports. vol. 10.
- (2019) More frequent extreme climate events stabilize reindeer population dynamics. Nature Communications. vol. 10 (1).
- (2019) Spatial heterogeneity in climate change effects decouples the long‐term dynamics of wild reindeer populations in the high Arctic. Global Change Biology. vol. 25 (11).
- (2019) Contrasting consequences of climate change for migratory geese: Predation, density dependence and carryover effects offset benefits of high‐arctic warming. Global Change Biology.
- (2019) Density‐dependent population dynamics of a high Arctic capital breeder, the barnacle goose. Journal of Animal Ecology. vol. 88 (8).
- (2019) Fragmented tropical forests lose mutualistic plant–animal interactions. Diversity and Distributions: A journal of biological invasions and biodiversity. vol. 00.
- (2017) Interactions between demography and environmental effects are important determinants of population dynamics. Science Advances. vol. 3 (2).
- (2017) How are species interactions structured in species-rich communities? A new method for analysing time-series data. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London. Biological Sciences. vol. 284 (1855).
- (2016) Demographic buffering of life histories? Implications of the choice of measurement scale. Ecology. vol. 97 (1).
- (2016) Density dependence in an age-structured population of great tits: identifying the critical age classes. Ecology. vol. 97 (9).
- (2016) Demographic routes to variability and regulation in bird populations. Nature Communications. vol. 7.
- (2016) Evidence for r-and K-selection in a wild bird population: A reciprocal link between ecology and evolution. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London. Biological Sciences. vol. 283 (1829).
- (2015) An integrated population model for a long-lived ungulate: more efficient data use with Bayesian methods. Oikos. vol. 124 (6).
- (2014) Distance decay of similarity, effects of environmental noise and ecological heterogeneity among species in the spatio-temporal dynamics of a dispersal-limited community. Ecography. vol. 37 (2).
- (2014) Seasonal cycles of diversity and similarity in a Central American rainforest butterfly community. Ecography. vol. 37 (5).
- (2013) Climate Events Synchronize the Dynamics of a Resident Vertebrate Community in the High Arctic. Science. vol. 339 (6117).
- (2013) Interspecific differences in stochastic population dynamics explains variation in Taylor's temporal power law. Oikos. vol. 122 (8).