New student in Trondheim
New international student
New international student
Orientation Week August 2020
NTNU organises an orientation programme for new international students every August and January.
Digital programme August 2020
The orientation activities for international students will be online. The Office of International Relations will organise online information meetings and Q&As. These sessions will be live-streamed, but it will also be possible to watch them later at your convenience.
The grand Matriculation ceremony for all new NTNU students will also live-streamed. Most faculties and study programmes are working on organsing digital welcome activites.
More information will be published on this page as soon as it is available. You will also receive further information by email closer to the date.
Digital activities August 2020
The Matriculation ceremony is NTNU's offcial welcome for all new students.
Due to the Corona virus, this year's matriculation ceremony will be live-streamed. It will also be possible to watch the ceremony at a later time.
Matriculation part II
Most faculties will organise online activities after the meeting. More information will be made available on your study programme during the summer.
This information meeting is for all new international students.
The Office of International Relations will organise information meetings and online Q&As about how to register for courses, exams and other practical NTNU matters. These sessions will be live-streamed, but it will also be possible to watch them later at your convenience.
Link to invitation and zoom meeting has been sent out by e-mail. If you have not recieved this e-mail, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
12:00 - 12:15: Welcome to NTNU! We will introduce ourselves and have a few getting-to-know-each-other games.
12:15 - 13:00: Information video with information about how to get started as an international student at NTNU.
13:00 - 13:30: Presentations of different student associations (ESN and ISU) and SiT.
13:30 - 14:40: Q&A. We will answer all the questions you may have. It will be possible to send in your questions beforehand or through the chat function in the zoom meeting
14:30: Summary and end of meeting
Link to invitation and zoom meeting has been sent out by e-mail. If you have not received this e-mail, please contact email@example.com.
Useful links and documents
- Arrival Checklist - Essential information (Autumn 2020 - pdf)
- What you need to do as a new student (Intranet)
- Academic Calendar
- Library services for students - Get help with academic writing, find sources and cite them correctly
- Course timetables - If there is no timetable, please contact the department responsible for the course
- NTNU on Facebook
- Trondheim in your pocket - A quick guide to the city (August 2019 - pdf)
- REstore - Get used furniture and other stuff, and trade what you don't need
- "Koiene" Student cabins - How to book and spend time at the cabins (August 2019 - pdf)
- "Going for a walk" - introduction to Norwegian hiking culture (pdf)
- Erasmus Student Network - Organization for all exchange students
NTNU has various part-time classes to help you learn Norwegian as a second language, including a free online course.
Exchange students can join a 3-week intensive summer course in August. The course includes several day-trips in the surroundings of Trondheim, and a weekend-excursion to nearby mountains.
Contact the Office of International Relations
International House, O. S. Bragstads plass 3, 7491 Trondheim, Norway
Student drop-in: Due to Corona-measures, drop-in is currently not available.
Exchange students: firstname.lastname@example.org
Master's degree students: email@example.com
Visiting address: Office G104, Teknologivegen 22, 2815 Gjøvik, Norway
Postal address: P.O. box 191, 2802 Gjøvik, Norway
Visiting address: K-building, office numbers KP-245 and KP-246, Larsgårdsvegen 2, 6009 Ålesund
Postal address: P.O. Box 1517, 6025 Ålesund, Norway
Roof over your head
Who can participate
About 1400 international students participate in Orientation Week every August, and around 400 in January. International students who are eligible to participate in Orientation Week will receive further details by email from the NTNU International Office.
Students who are eligible to participate
- All new exchange students and free movers
- New International students enrolled in a master’s degree taught in English
- New International Erasmus Mundus and Joint Nordic master’s degree students
- Students doing placements or internship stays at NTNU are usually considered on an individual basis. In some cases, PhD students doing an exchange stay at NTNU are eligible to participate. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.
Students who are not eligible
- International students enrolled in a degree programme taught in Norwegian
- Norwegian students enrolled in a master’s degree taught in English
- International PhD students doing the majority of their PhD at NTNU
- Friends and family of participating students
Local bus to NTNU
Local bus to NTNU
NTNU bus stops
- Studentersamfundet: Student Society
- Høgskoleringen: Main Administration Building, Matriculation Ceremony, International House
- Gløshaugen Syd or Lerkendal gård: Natural Science Building (Realfagbygget)
Use ATB's travel planner to get specific route information.
Buying a ticket on the bus is expensive (NOK 60/trip). Cheaper one-way tickets can be bought from a ticket machine or by using Mobillett on your phone.