Background and activities
About Associate Professor André Liem:
Associate professor André Liem has been teaching at the Department of Product Design, Norwegian University of Science and Technology since January 2005. He has PhD in Ergonomics from the University of Lorraine and an MSc in Industrial Design Engineering from TU Delft.
Prior to his engagement at NTNU, Dr. Liem has previously taught and developed the Industrial Design programs at two institutions; the National University of Singapore (NUS) and Nanayang Polytechnic (Singapore)
Research interests include design process and methodology, design education, Strategic Design & Management and Design Thinking.
In terms of design practice, he has also undertaken design consultancy projects in the Netherlands, U.K., U.S.A. and Singapore. He also holds an advisory position at Designinsight, an Industrial Design Consultancy in Singapore.
Dr. Liem has also published widely in conferences and journals such as International Journal of Product Development , Design & Technology, Journal of Usability Studies, Journal of Design Research, Travail Humain, etc.
Currently, Dr. Liem has 3 PhD candidates under his supervision, undertaking research in "Jewellery Design Practices", "Geometry and form Development Development" and "Prototyping and Co-creation". In 2012, he graduated a PhD candidate in the field of Practice-based Design Thinking for Form Development and Detailing
Dr. Liem also coordinates and teaches the following courses:
and is one of the supervisors for the following courses:
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2015) Experiencing shared and individual ownership of products and services. Procedia Manufacturing. vol. 3.
- (2015) Applying Design Reasoning and Semantic Debate in Meaning and Identity Creation. Procedia Manufacturing. vol. 3.
- (2015) Processes, methods and knowledge creation in jewellery design practice. Smart Innovation, Systems and Technologies. vol. 34.
- (2014) Classifying physical models and prototypes in the design process: A study on the economical and usability impact of adopting models and prototypes in the design process. Proceedings of the ... International Design Conference. vol. 2014-January.
- (2014) TOWARD PROSPECTIVE REASONING IN DESIGN: AN ESSAY ON RELATIONSHIPS AMONG DESIGNERS’ REASONING, BUSINESS STRATEGIES, AND INNOVATION. Travail humain (Paris). vol. 77 (1).
- (2014) Positioning Industrial Design Education within Higher Education: How to face increasingly challenging market forces?. UNIPED. vol. 37 (2).
- (2013) Human-Centred Design Workshops in Collaborative Strategic Design Projects; An Educational and Professional Comparison. Design and Technology Education: An International Journal. vol. 18 (1).
- (2012) Teaching strategic and systems design to facilitate collaboration and learning. FORMakademisk. vol. 5 (1).
- (2012) Innovation and design approaches within prospective ergonomics. Work : A journal of Prevention, Assesment and rehabilitation. vol. 41.
- (2011) A Culturally Driven Approach for the Development of Innovative User Interface Design Concepts. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. vol. 6769.
- (2011) An ergonomic case study on the interior customisation of Fast Response Cars (FRCs) based on vehicle adaptation. International Journal of Vehicle Design. vol. 55 (2/3/4).
- (2011) Using design education to survive in the 'corporate world' of higher learning and research. Journal of Design Research. vol. 9 (2).
- (2010) THE SIGNIFICANCE OF FORM ELEMENTS: A STUDY OF REPRESENTATIONAL CONTENT OF DESIGN SKETCHES. International Journal of Design and Innovation Research. vol. 5 (3).
- (2010) Moving Towards an All-Encompassing Universal Design Approach in ICT. Journal of Usability Studies. vol. 5 (4).
- (2009) Editorial:Special Issue on Transformations in Industrial Design: Emerging Trends, Approaches and Challenges. International Journal of Product Development. vol. Volume 9 - Issue 4 -.
- (2009) Providing students with a head start through mentorship and systems thinking within a vertical design studio environment. International Journal of Product Development. vol. 9 (4).
- (2008) Developing a win-win mentorship-scholarship, higher education model for design through collaborative learning. UNIPED (Tromsø). vol. 31 (3).
- (2007) Vertical Studio Teaching through Collaborative and Hierarchical Learning. Design Principles and Practices: An International Journal. vol. 1 (1).
- (2004) Development of Interior Concepts to facilitate Small-Space Living in Singapore. Journal of Southeast Asian Architecture. vol. 7.
- (2005) Managing the Industrial Design Process. 2005. ISBN 1846581672.