Background and activities
Bern-Erik Sæther is the Director of the Centre for Biodiversity Dynamics (CBD). CBD is a Norwegian Centre of excellence (SFF). He belongs to the Ecology research group at the Department of Biology at NTNU
Integration of ecological and evolutionary processes, community and population dynamics. Bernt-Erik has led several major field projects, including the house sparrow and elk.
- Director of the Centre for Biodiversity Dynamics (CBD) [ 2013 -
- Professor in population ecology at the Department of Biology [ 1996 -
- Professor II (20 %) at NTNU [ 1990-1996 ]
- Senior scientific advisor (20 %) at Norwegian Institute for Nature Research (NINA) [ 1996 ]
- Senior researcher, Division, Directorate for Nature Management [ 1990-1996 ]
- Division, Directorate for Nature Management. Researcher [ 1989 ]
- Researcher at Game Research [ 1984-1989 ]
- Research assistant at Game Research [ 1980-1984 ]
- Research Council of Norway’s Award for Outstanding Research (the Møbius Prize) together with Professor Steinar Engen (2013)
- Centre of Excellence Grant (SFF-III) by the Research Council of Norway to the Centre for Biodiversity Dynamics (CBD) (2012)
- Advanced Research Grant from the European Research Council (2011-2016)
- Elected member of the The Royal Swedish Academy of Agriculture and Forestry (2010)
- Elected as member of the Norwegian Academy of Science and Letters (2009)
- Elected as member of the Royal Norwegian Society of Sciences and Letters (2002)
- Member and chairman for the Swedish Research Committee in Wildlife Research
- Member of the Steering Board for Environmental Research, MISTRA
- Member of the Steering Board of the Division for Energy, Resources and the Environment in the Research Council of Norway
- Member of the steering board for the research program in climate research in Norway (NORKLIMA) (2002-2007)
- Member of the Swedish Committee for Environmental Research (2000-2005)
- Member of the Steering Board for Environment and Development in the Research Council of Norway (1999-2003)
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2017) Reproductive allocation in pulsed-resource environments: a comparative study in two populations of wild boar. Oecologia. vol. 183.
- (2017) Interactions between demography and environmental effects are important determinants of population dynamics. Science Advances. vol. 3.
- (2017) Reversal of response to artificial selection on body size in a wild passerine bird. Evolution.
- (2017) Climate and density dependence cause changes in adult sex ratio in a large Arctic herbivore. Ecosphere. vol. 8 (2).
- (2017) Demographic influences of translocated individuals on a resident population of house sparrows. Oikos.
- (2017) On fitness and partial migration in a large herbivore – migratory moose have higher reproductive performance than residents. Oikos. vol. 126 (4).
- (2017) Insights into the genetic architecture of morphological and sexually selected traits in two passerine bird species. Heredity.
- (2017) Sensitivity analysis of effective population size to demographic parameters in house sparrow populations. Molecular Ecology. vol. 26 (9).
- (2016) Demographic buffering of life histories? Implications of the choice of measurement scale. Ecology. vol. 97 (1).
- (2016) Reproductive costs in terrestrial male vertebrates: insights from bird studies. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London. Biological Sciences. vol. 283.
- (2016) Neutral or non-neutral communities: temporal dynamics provide the answer. Oikos. vol. 126 (3).
- (2016) Optimal age of maturity in fluctuating environments under r- and K-selection. Oikos. vol. 125 (11).
- (2016) Density dependence in an age-structured population of great tits: identifying the critical age classes. Ecology. vol. 97 (9).
- (2016) Spatial variation in senescence rates in a bird metapopulation. Oecologia. vol. 181 (3).
- (2016) Controlling for p-value inflation in allele frequency change in experimental evolution and artificial selection experiments. Molecular Ecology Resources. vol. 17.
- (2016) Harvest-induced phenotypic selection in an island population of moose, Alces alces. Evolution. vol. 70 (7).
- (2016) Effective size of density-dependent populations in fluctuating environments. Evolution. vol. 70 (11).
- (2016) Home ranges, habitat and body mass: Simple correlates of home range size in ungulates. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London. Biological Sciences. vol. 283 (1845).
- (2016) Is basal metabolic rate associated with recruit production and survival in free-living house sparrows?. Functional Ecology. vol. 30 (7).
- (2016) Demographic routes to variability and regulation in bird populations. Nature Communications. vol. 7.