Postal addressDepartment of Engineering Design and Materials Norwegian University of Science and Technology 7491 Trondheim Norway
Background and activities
- TMM 4245 - Fuzzy Front End Engineering (7th semester)
- MM 8101 - Engineering Design Methodology (PhD seminar)
Short CV, Martin Steinert, Ph.D.
I am Professor of Eng. Design and Innovation at the Department of Eng. Design and Materials at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU). I teach fuzzy front-end engineering for radical new product/service/system concepts and graduate research seminars for PhDs engaged in topics related to new product design and development. My various research projects are usually multidisciplinary (ME/CS/EE/Neuro- and Cognitive Sc.) and often connected with industry. The aim is to uncover, understand and leverage early stage engineering design paradigms with a special focus onto human-machine/object interactions. Recently I have published in Int. Journal of Product Development, Int. Journal of Design Creativity and Innovation, Journal of Eng. Design and Technology, Int. Journal of Design, Int. Journal of Eng. Education, Tech. Forecasting and Social Change, Energy Policy, Information Knowledge System Management Journal … Ever since a short stint at MIT and my time as Deputy Director at the Center for Design Research and at the d.research program (Hasso Plattner Design Thinking Research program) at Stanford University, the overarching aim of my research and teaching is to always push the boundaries for Norwegian product development teams, so that they will ideate, more radical new concepts, faster.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2013) Redefining customer value in lean product development design projects. Journal of Engineering, Design and Technology. volum 11 (1).
- (2012) Participatory Design with Marginalized People in Developing Countries: Challenges and Opportunities Experienced in a Field Study in Cambodia. International Journal of Design. volum 6 (2).
- (2011) Dancing with ambiguity: Causality behavior, design thinking, and triple-loop-learning. Information, Knowledge, Systems Management. volum 10 (1-4).
Part of book/report
- (2013) Instrumenting the user: Needfinding by combining data logging and immediate self-reporting. Proceeding of the 19th International Conference on Engineering Design (ICED13), Design for Harmonies, Vol.7: Human Behaviour in Design, Seoul, Korea, 19-22.08.2013.
- (2013) Triangulating front end engineering design activities with physiology data and psychological preferences. Proceeding of the 19th International Conference on Engineering Design (ICED13), Design for Harmonies, Vol.7: Human Behaviour in Design, Seoul, Korea, 19-22.08.2013.
- (2013) Building agile design teams. DS 75-3: Proceedings of the 19th International Conference on Engineering Design (ICED13) Design For Harmonies, Vol. 3: Design Organisation and Management, Seoul, Korea 19-22.08.2013.