Doctor of Philosophy, abbreviated as PhD, is the highest obtainable postgraduate academic degree. A PhD candidate must be admitted to a specific PhD programme in order to earn a degree from NTNU, and must undertake both research and coursework.
NTNU offers degrees in a range of doctoral programmes. Read more below about our offerings and the practical aspects of applying to NTNU and moving to Norway.
PhD courses at Nordic Five Tech
Nordic Five Tech (N5T) is an exclusive, strategic alliance of the five leading technical universities in Denmark, Finland, Norway and Sweden. If you are a PhD student at one of the five N5T universities, you can participate in courses at any of the five universities, free of charge. The course must be registered in the joint PhD course database.
The Ministry of Higher Education finances the Norwegian graduate schools. Each graduate school consists of a network of institutions that collaborate on doctoral education within a subject area.
- Norwegian research school in medical imaging
- The Norwegian PhD network on nanotechnology for microsystems
- National graduate school in structural biology
- The Norwegian research school in renewable energy
- Norwegian research school in neuroscience
- Norwegian PhD network on nanotechnology for micro-systems
- Norwegian graduate researcher school in linguistics and philology
- Norwegian research school in geography
- Norwegian research school in innovation
- Flerfaglig forskerskole i utdanningsforskning
- Enterprise development and work-life research