Background and activities
Discipline /work area
I’m gastroenterologist and I’m working with epidemiological and clinical studies of the most common gastrointestinal disorders and cancers. In these studies, we are assessing the occurrence and consequences of these diseases and we are searching for the causes, which might be used in prevention and treatment.
I’m project leader of the coeliac disease project in the Trøndelag Health Study (HUNT), financed by the Research Council of Norway and the Central Norway Regional Health Authority.
I’m also working with gastro-oesophageal reflux disease, inflammatory bowel disease, irritable bowel syndrome, liver diseases and cancers of the gastrointestinal tract.
I’m supervising Ph.D.-, master- and medical students and I’m teaching medical students in gastroenterology at NTNU/St. Olav’s Hospital and NTNU Link/Levanger Hospital.
I’m M.D. and consultant at the Department of Medicine at Levanger Hospital and specialist in internal medicine and gastroenterology.
I’m Ph.D. in public health and I’m working with epidemiological studies based on the Trøndelag Health Study (HUNT) and national health registries in Norway and the Nordic countries.
- Specialist in internal medicine and gastroenterology – 2017
- Ph.D. – NTNU – 2014
- M.D. – University of Oslo – 2005
- Associate professor – HUNT Research Centre, Dept. of Public Health and Nursing, NTNU
- Consultant – Dept. of Medicine, Levanger Hospital
- Affiliated researcher – Dept. of Molecular Medicine and Surgery, Karolinska Institute, Sweden (https://medarbetare.ki.se/people/eivnes)
- Postdoc – Dept. of Molecular Medicine and Surgery, Karolinska Institute, Sweden – 2014-2018
- Fellow – Dept. of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, St. Olav’s Hospital – 2014-2016
- Ph.D. student – HUNT Research Centre, Dept. of Public Health, NTNU – 2009-2013
- Fellow – Dept. of Medicine, Levanger Hospital – 2006-2014
Appointments, prizes and awards
- Member, Outstanding Academic Fellows Programme 3.0, NTNU (https://www.ntnu.edu/outstanding-academic-fellows-programme/2019-2023)
- Associate editor, BMC Gastroenterology
- Board member, Norwegian Gastroenterology Association
- Member, Research Committee, Nord-Trøndelag Hospital Trust
- Young Research Talent, Research Council of Norway’s FRIPRO program – 2018
- Research and Travel Grant, Caroline Musæus Aarsvold’s fund, Norwegian Medical Association – 2014
- Research Scholarship, Norwegian Gastroenterology Association – 2013
- Top Abstract Prize, United European Gastroenterology Week, Amsterdam – 2012
- National Scholar Award, United European Gastroenterology Week, Amsterdam – 2012
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2020) Validity and power of Nordic registry-based research. British Journal of Surgery. vol. 107.
- (2020) Aspiration pneumonia after antireflux surgery among neurologically impaired children with GERD. Journal of Pediatric Surgery.
- (2020) Hospital Volume of Antireflux Surgery in Relation to Endoscopic and Surgical Re-interventions. Annals of Surgery.
- (2020) Association Between Metformin Use and Risk of Esophageal Squamous Cell Carcinoma in a Population-Based Cohort Study. American Journal of Gastroenterology. vol. 115 (1).
- (2020) Circulating Sex Hormone Levels and Risk of Esophageal Adenocarcinoma in a Prospective Study in Men. American Journal of Gastroenterology. vol. 115 (2).
- (2019) Search for Early Pancreatic Cancer Blood Biomarkers in Five European Prospective Population Biobanks Using Metabolomics. Endocrinology. vol. 160 (7).
- (2019) Adherence to clinical guidelines for Barrett’s esophagus. Scandinavian Journal of Gastroenterology. vol. 54 (8).
- (2019) Endoscopy for Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease and Survival in Esophageal Adenocarcinoma. International Journal of Cancer.
- (2019) Effects of Obesity Surgery on Overall and Disease-Specific Mortality in a 5-Country Population-Based Study. Gastroenterology. vol. 157 (1).
- (2019) Timing of HPV16-E6 antibody seroconversion before OPSCC: Findings from the HPVC3 consortium. Annals of Oncology. vol. 30 (8).
- (2019) Helicobacter pylori in relation to asthma and allergy modified by abdominal obesity: The HUNT study in Norway. World Allergy Organization Journal. vol. 12 (5).
- (2019) Cohort profile: the Swedish Prescribed Drugs and Health Cohort (SPREDH). BMJ Open. vol. 9 (1).
- (2018) Circulating concentrations of vitamin D in relation to pancreatic cancer risk in European populations. International Journal of Cancer. vol. 142 (6).
- (2018) Clinical prediction model for tumor progression in Barrett’s esophagus. Surgical Endoscopy.
- (2018) All-cause and cancer-specific mortality in GORD in a population-based cohort study (the HUNT study). Gut. vol. 67 (2).
- (2018) Genome-wide association study and meta-analysis in Northern European populations replicate multiple colorectal cancer risk loci. International Journal of Cancer. vol. 142 (3).
- (2018) Assessing the feasibility of targeted screening for esophageal adenocarcinoma based on individual risk assessment in a population-based cohort study in Norway (The HUNT Study). American Journal of Gastroenterology. vol. 113 (6).
- (2017) Risk of oesophageal adenocarcinoma in individuals with Barrett's oesophagus. European Journal of Cancer. vol. 75.
- (2017) Snus and risk of gastroesophageal reflux. A population-based case-control study: the HUNT study. Scandinavian Journal of Gastroenterology. vol. 52 (2).
- (2017) Tobacco smoking, alcohol consumption and gastro-oesophageal reflux disease. Baillière's Best Practice & Research : Clinical Gastroenterology. vol. 31 (5).
- (2017) Quality of life and psychological and gastrointestinal symptoms after cholecystectomy: a population-based cohort study. BMJ open gastroenterology. vol. 4 (1).
- (2016) Gastroesophageal Reflux and Sleep Disturbances: A Bidirectional Association in a Population-Based Cohort Study, the HUNT Study. Sleep. vol. 39 (7).
- (2016) Anthropometry-based obesity phenotypes and risk of colorectal adenocarcinoma: a large prospective cohort study in Norway. Epidemiology. vol. 27 (3).
- (2016) Lifestyle Intervention in Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease. Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology. vol. 14 (2).
- (2016) Risk factors of admission for acute colonic diverticulitis in a population-based cohort study: The North Trondelag Health Study, Norway. World Journal of Gastroenterology (WJG). vol. 22 (48).
- (2016) Risk factors for requiring cholecystectomy for gallstone disease in a prospective population-based cohort study. British Journal of Surgery. vol. 103 (10).
- (2015) Risk Factors on the Development of New-Onset Gastroesophageal Reflux Symptoms. A Population Based Prospective Cohort Study: The HUNT Study. American Journal of Gastroenterology. vol. 110 (3).
- (2015) Metabolic syndrome and esophageal and gastric cancer. Cancer Causes and Control. vol. 26 (12).
- (2015) Metabolic predispositions and increased risk of colorectal adenocarcinoma by anatomical location: a large population-based cohort study in Norway. American Journal of Epidemiology. vol. 182 (10).
- (2014) Tobacco Smoking Cessation and Improved Gastroesophageal Reflux: A Prospective Population-Based Cohort Study: The HUNT Study. American Journal of Gastroenterology. vol. 109 (2).
- (2013) Weight Loss and Reduction in Gastroesophageal Reflux. A Prospective Population-Based Cohort Study: The HUNT Study. American Journal of Gastroenterology. vol. 108 (3).
- (2012) Changes in prevalence, incidence and spontaneous loss of gastro-oesophageal reflux symptoms: a prospective population-based cohort study, the HUNT study. Gut. vol. 61 (10).
- (2014) Epidemiology of gastro-oesophageal reflux A prospective population-based cohort study: The HUNT study. 2014. ISBN 978-82-326-0062-5.