R. Jason Hearst
Background and activities
My research is focussed on the experimental measurement of turbulent flows. Some topics that I am actively pursuing are:
- The generation of bespoke turbulence at high Reynolds numbers.
- The impact of turbulence on various geometries (e.g., airfoils, buildings, wind turbines).
- The influence of free-stream turbulence on a turbulent boundary layer.
- The instantaneous structure of turbulent shear flows.
Visit my group's webpage for more details.
2015 - 2017 Post-doctoral fellowship, University of Southampton
2009 - 2014 PhD, University of Toronto Instititute for Aerospace Studies
2005 - 2009 BASc, University of Toronto, Engineering Science (Aerospace)
2019 - 2022 Research Council of Norway - FRINATEK - WallMix - Near-wall mixing by free-stream turbulence
2018 - 2021 Research Council of Norway - CLIMIT - DiHI-Tech - Distributed hydrogen injection and combustion technology for next generation pre-combustion CCS schemes
- Leon Li - The effects of free-stream turbulence on bluff bodies
- Magnus Kyrkjebø Vinnes - Experimental comparison of actuator disk and rotating turbine wakes
- Olav Rømcke - Dynamic shear jamming in a linear system
- Masoud Asadi - Turbulence enhanced scalar transport (WallMix)
- Dinis Nunes - Mixing in non-Newtonian systems
- Yannick Jooss (primary supervisor Tania Bracchi) - Understanding urban wind energy resources
- Johannes Næsset Hillestad (primary supervisor Nicholas Worth) - Volumetric rotating wake measurements
- Oddbjørn Kildal (primary supervisor Ole Øiseth) - Effect of turbulence on bridge decks
- TEP4925 - Engineering Fluid Mechanics, Master's Thesis
- TEP4160 - Aerodynamics
- EP8487 - Turbulence
- EP8405 - Turbulence
- TEP4112 - Turbulent Flows
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2021) Uniform-momentum zones in a turbulent boundary layer subjected to freestream turbulence. Journal of Fluid Mechanics. vol. 915.
- (2021) A comparison of lab-scale free rotating wind turbines and actuator disks. Journal of Wind Engineering and Industrial Aerodynamics. vol. 209.
- (2021) Spatial development of a turbulent boundary layer subjected to freestream turbulence. Journal of Fluid Mechanics. vol. 911.
- (2021) The impact of upstream turbulence on a plane jet. Experiments in Fluids. vol. 62.
- (2021) The influence of freestream turbulence on the temporal pressure distribution and lift of an airfoil. Journal of Wind Engineering and Industrial Aerodynamics. vol. 209.
- (2021) Collision of dynamic jamming fronts in a dense suspension. Physical Review Fluids. vol. 6 (10).
- (2021) Characterizing the surface texture of a dense suspension undergoing dynamic jamming. Experiments in Fluids.
- (2021) Getting jammed in all directions: Dynamic shear jamming around a cylinder towed through a dense suspension. Physical Review Fluids. vol. 6.
- (2021) Aerodynamics of an airfoil with leading-edge icing. Wind Energy. vol. 24 (8).
- (2020) Experimental and numerical icing penalties of an S826 airfoil at low Reynolds numbers. Aerospace. vol. 7 (46).
- (2020) Response of the temporal turbulent boundary layer to decaying free-stream turbulence. Journal of Fluid Mechanics. vol. 896.
- (2020) The near-field of a lab-scale wind turbine in tailored turbulent shear flows. Renewable Energy. vol. 149.
- (2020) The significant impact of ribs and small-scale roughness on cylinder drag crisis. Journal of Wind Engineering and Industrial Aerodynamics. vol. 202.
- (2019) Performance and wake of a Savonius vertical‐axis wind turbine under different incoming conditions. Wind Energy. vol. 22 (9).
- (2019) Round-robin tests of porous disc models. Journal of Physics: Conference Series (JPCS). vol. 1256 (1).
- (2019) Simultaneous skin friction and velocity measurements in high Reynolds number pipe and boundary layer flows. Journal of Fluid Mechanics. vol. 871.
- (2019) Spatial characteristics of a zero-pressure-gradient turbulent boundary layer in the presence of free-stream turbulence. Physical Review Fluids. vol. 4 (8).
- (2019) A comparative study of the velocity and vorticity structure in pipes and boundary layers at friction Reynolds numbers up to 10^4. Journal of Fluid Mechanics. vol. 869.