R. Jason Hearst
Background and activities
My research is focussed on the experimental measurement of turbulent flows. Some topics that I am actively pursuing are:
- The generation of bespoke turbulence at high Reynolds numbers.
- The impact of turbulence on various geometries (e.g., airfoils, buildings, wind turbines).
- The influence of free-stream turbulence on a turbulent boundary layer.
- The instantaneous structure of turbulent shear flows.
- High Reynolds number pipe flows.
2015 - 2017 Post-doctoral fellowship, University of Southampton
2009 - 2014 PhD, University of Toronto Instititute for Aerospace Studies
2005 - 2009 BASc, University of Toronto, Engineering Science (Aerospace)
2019 - 2022 Research Council of Norway - FRINATEK - WallMix - Near-wall mixing by free-stream turbulence
2018 - 2020 Research Council of Norway - CLIMIT - DiHI-Tech - Distributed hydrogen injection and combustion technology for next generation pre-combustion CCS schemes
- Leon Li - The effects of free-stream turbulence on bluff bodies
- Magnus Kyrkjebø Vinnes - Experimental comparison of actuator disk and rotating turbine wakes
- Olav Rømcke - Dynamic shear jamming in a linear system
- Masoud Asadi - Turbulence enhanced scalar transport (WallMix)
- Yannick Jooss (primary supervisor Tania Bracchi) - Understanding urban wind energy resources
- Md Kamruzzaman - Turbulence enhanced two species mixing (DiHI-Tech)
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2019) Performance and wake of a Savonius vertical‐axis wind turbine under different incoming conditions. Wind Energy. vol. 22 (9).
- (2019) Round-robin tests of porous disc models. Journal of Physics: Conference Series. vol. 1256 (1).
- (2019) Simultaneous skin friction and velocity measurements in high Reynolds number pipe and boundary layer flows. Journal of Fluid Mechanics. vol. 871.
- (2019) Spatial characteristics of a zero-pressure-gradient turbulent boundary layer in the presence of free-stream turbulence. Physical Review Fluids. vol. 4 (8).
- (2019) A comparative study of the velocity and vorticity structure in pipes and boundary layers at friction Reynolds numbers up to 10^4. Journal of Fluid Mechanics. vol. 869.
- (2018) Robust features of a turbulent boundary layer subjected to high-intensity free-stream turbulence. Journal of Fluid Mechanics. vol. 851.
- (2018) Time evolution of uniform moment zones in a turbulent boundary layer. Journal of Fluid Mechanics. vol. 842.
- (2017) Modelling high Reynolds number wall-turbulence interactions in laboratory experiments using large-scale free-stream turbulence. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A: Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences. vol. 375.
- (2017) Tailoring incoming shear and turbulence profiles for lab-scale wind turbines. Wind Energy. vol. 20 (12).
- (2016) Effects of multi-scale and regular grid geometry on decaying turbulence. Journal of Fluid Mechanics. vol. 803.
- (2016) Effect of turbulence on the wake of a wall-mounted cube. Journal of Fluid Mechanics. vol. 804.
- (2015) Quantification and adjustment of pixel-locking in Particle Image Velocimetry. Experiments in Fluids. vol. 56 (10).
- (2015) The effect of active grid initial conditions on high Reynolds number turbulence. Experiments in Fluids. vol. 56 (10).
- (2015) Velocity derivative skewness in fractal-generated, non-equilibrium grid turbulence. Physics of Fluids. vol. 27 (7).
- (2014) Decay of turbulence generated by a square-fractal-element grid. Journal of Fluid Mechanics. vol. 741.
- (2014) Scale-by-scale energy budget in fractal element grid-generated turbulence. Journal of turbulence. vol. 15 (8).
- (2012) Experimental estimation of fluctuating velocity and scalar gradients in turbulence. Experiments in Fluids. vol. 53 (4).
Part of book/report
- (2019) The Use of Active Grids in Experimental Facilities. Progress in Turbulence VIII.
- (2019) The Mean Velocity of the Near-Field of a Lab-Scale Wind Turbine in Tailored Turbulent Shear Flows. Progress in Turbulence VIII.
- (2019) PIV of the Flow Over a NREL S826 Airfoil Subjected to Different Ice Accretions. Progress in Turbulence VIII.