Kathrine Røe Redalen
Background and activities
- In silico computational modeling of ionizing radiation interactions with matter
- Experimental radiation biophysics using in vitro and in vivo systems
- Functional and quantitative PET and MRI techniques for imaging the tumor microenvironment
- Multicenter imaging trials in radiotherapy
- Artificial intelligence for quantitative parameter estimation, target segmentation and synthetic CT generation
- Applications in photon-based radiotherapy and proton therapy
- CURIE - Cancer imaging by fUnctional magnetic resonance for Radiotherapy Individualisation and Evaluation, funded by the Norwegian Cancer Society, 2019 - 2023
- Improved diagnostics and treatment through a state-of-the-art multi-center nuclear medicine approach: Applications in cancer and dementia (180N - Norwegian Nuclear Medicine Consortium), funded by Trond Mohn Foundation, Central Norway Regional Health Authority, St. Olavs hospital and NTNU, 2019 - 2024
- Improved strategies for radiotherapy of prostate cancer utilizing proton therapy and advanced imaging modalities, funded by Central Norway Regional Health Authority, 2018 - 2023
- Development of Cu-64 radiopharmaceuticals for positron emission tomography (PET) and treatment of hypoxic, aggressive cancer, funded by Central Norway Regional Health Authority, 2019 - 2022
- Biologically adapted image-guided radiotherapy (BIG-ART), funded by Central Norway Regional Health Authority, 2022 - 2024
- Imaging Vascular Damage from Radiation-Induced Oxidative Stress, funded by NTNU Enabling Technologies, within biotechnology, 2023 - 2026
- Associate Professor II Signe Danielsen
- Associate Professor II Anne Beate L. Marthinsen
- Researcher Endre Grøvik
- Postdoc René Winter
- PhD candidate Franziska H. Knuth
- PhD candidate Kajsa M. L. Fridström
- PhD candidate Tengzhi Liu
- PhD candidate Guillermo Garrido Hernández
- PhD candidate Nina Levin
- MSc student Sophie Furu Nord
- TFY4315 - Biophysics of Ionizing Radiation
- FY8503 - Advanced Theoretical Physics
- FY6023 - Nuclear and Radiation Physics
- FY6024 - Biophysics of Ionizing Radiation
- FY8502 - Advanced Biophysics
- FY8919 - Biophysics of Ionizing Radiation
- FY6021 - Ionizing Radiation - Interactions and Dosimetry
- FY8504 - Advanced Experimental Physics
- FY6022 - Quality management in medical physics
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2022) The 3<sup>rd</sup> ESTRO-EFOMP core curriculum for medical physics experts in radiotherapy. Radiotherapy and Oncology.
- (2022) Potential of Deep Learning in Quantitative Magnetic Resonance Imaging for Personalized Radiotherapy. Seminars in Radiation Oncology.
- (2022) Semi-automatic tumor segmentation of rectal cancer based on functional magnetic resonance imaging. Physics and imaging in radiation oncology (PIRO). vol. 22.
- (2022) Development of an automated production process of [64Cu][Cu (ATSM)] for positron emission tomography imaging and theranostic applications. Journal of labelled compounds & radiopharmaceuticals.
- (2022) Five years, 20 volumes and 300 publications of Physics and Imaging in Radiation Oncology. Physics and imaging in radiation oncology (PIRO). vol. 21.
- (2021) Sex disparities in vitamin D status and the impact on systemic inflammation and survival in rectal cancer. BMC Cancer. vol. 21.
- (2021) Professional practice changes in radiotherapy physics during the COVID-19 pandemic. Physics and imaging in radiation oncology (PIRO). vol. 19.
- (2021) Uptake of circulating extracellular vesicles from rectal cancer patients and differential responses by human monocyte cultures. FEBS Open Bio. vol. 11 (3).
- (2021) The mitochondrial DNA constitution shaping T-cell immunity in patients with rectal cancer at high risk of metastatic progression. Clinical and Translational Oncology.
- (2021) Alexithymia and professional quality of life in radiation oncology: The moderator effect of the professional profile. Radiotherapy and Oncology. vol. 158.
- (2021) MRI-based automatic segmentation of rectal cancer using 2D U-Net on two independent cohorts. Acta Oncologica. vol. 61 (2).
- (2021) The circulating soluble form of the CD40 costimulatory immune checkpoint receptor and liver metastasis risk in rectal cancer. British Journal of Cancer. vol. 125.
- (2020) Sex differences and tumor blood flow from dynamic susceptibility contrast MRI are associated with treatment response after chemoradiation and long-term survival in rectal cancer. Radiology. vol. 297 (2).
- (2020) Professional quality of life and burnout among medical physicists working in radiation oncology: The role of alexithymia and empathy. Physics and imaging in radiation oncology (PIRO). vol. 15.
- (2020) Professional quality of life and burnout amongst radiation oncologists: The impact of alexithymia and empathy. Radiotherapy and Oncology. vol. 147.
- (2020) Quantitative imaging for radiotherapy purposes. Radiotherapy and Oncology. vol. 146.
- (2020) From multisource data to clinical decision aids in radiation oncology: The need for a clinical data science community. Radiotherapy and Oncology. vol. 153.
- (2020) Hypoxia imaging and theranostic potential of [64Cu][Cu(ATSM)] and ionic Cu(II) salts: a review of current evidence and discussion of the retention mechanisms. EJNMMI Research. vol. 10 (33).
- (2020) Corrigendum to “Circulating exosomal miR-141-3p and miR-375 in metastatic progression of rectal cancer” [Transl Oncol 12 (8) (2019) 1038-1044]. Translational Oncology. vol. 133 (1).
- (2020) Future directions on the merge of quantitative imaging and artificial intelligence in radiation oncology. Physics and imaging in radiation oncology (PIRO). vol. 15.
- (2019) High level of circulating vitamin D during neoadjuvant therapy may lower risk of metastatic progression in high-risk rectal cancer. BMC Cancer. vol. 19 (1).
- (2019) Immunogenic cell death by neoadjuvant oxaliplatin and radiation protects against metastatic failure in high-risk rectal cancer. Cancer Immunology and Immunotherapy.
- (2019) Comparison of Intravoxel incoherent motion imaging and multiecho dynamic contrast-based MRI in rectal cancer. Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging. vol. 50 (4).
- (2019) An experimental strategy unveiling exosomal microRNAs 486-5p, 181a-5p and 30d-5p from hypoxic tumour cells as circulating indicators of high-risk rectal cancer. Journal of Extracellular Vesicles. vol. 8 (1).
- (2019) Hva er fordelene med protonterapi sammenlignet med stråleterapi med fotoner, og hvorfor?. HMT - Helsetjenesten Medisinsk Teknikk : helse, medisin, teknikk. vol. 5.
- (2019) Sex-related differences in primary metastatic site in rectal cancer; associated with hemodynamic factors?. Clinical and Translational Radiation Oncology. vol. 21.
- (2019) Circulating Exosomal miR-141-3p and miR-375 in Metastatic Progression of Rectal Cancer. Translational Oncology. vol. 12 (8).
- (2018) Learning radiation oncology in Europe: Results of the ESTRO multidisciplinary survey. Clinical and Translational Radiation Oncology. vol. 9.
- (2018) Markers of mitochondrial metabolism in tumor hypoxia, systemic inflammation, and adverse outcome of rectal cancer. Translational Oncology. vol. 12 (1).
- (2018) Large-scale reduction of tyrosine kinase activities in human monocytes stimulated in vitro with N. meningitidis. PLOS ONE. vol. 13 (1).
- (2018) Systemic immune response induced by oxaliplatin-based neoadjuvant therapy favours survival without metastatic progression in high-risk rectal cancer. British Journal of Cancer. vol. 118 (10).
- (2017) Diffusion-weighted magnetic resonance imaging of rectal cancer: tumour volume and perfusion fraction predict chemoradiotherapy response and survival. Acta Oncologica. vol. 56 (6).
- (2017) Low release of exosomal miR-663a from hypoxic tumor cells and poor tumor response to neoadjuvant radiotherapy in rectal cancer patients. Cancer Research. vol. 77.
- (2017) Reactive oxygen species (ROS) and mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) damage in tumor hypoxia, poor radiotherapy response, and metastatic progression of rectal cancer. Cancer Research. vol. 77.
- (2017) Use of non-invasive imaging to monitor response to aflibercept treatment in murine models of colorectal cancer liver metastases. Clinical and Experimental Metastasis. vol. 34 (1).
- (2017) Dynamic multi-echo DCE- and DSC-MRI in rectal cancer: Low primary tumor Ktrans and ΔR2* peak are significantly associated with lymph node metastasis. Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging. vol. 46 (1).
- (2017) Induction of Apoptosis in Intestinal Toxicity to a Histone Deacetylase Inhibitor in a Phase I Study with Pelvic Radiotherapy. Cancer research and treatment : official journal of Korean Cancer Association. vol. 49 (2).
- (2017) MR i strålebehandling – muligheter og utfordringer. HMT - Helsetjenesten Medisinsk Teknikk : helse, medisin, teknikk. vol. 5.
- (2016) Individual tumor volume responses to short-course oxaliplatin containing induction chemotherapy in locally advanced rectal cancer – Targeting the tumor for radiation sensitivity?. Radiotherapy and Oncology. vol. 119 (3).
- (2016) Systemic release of osteoprotegerin during oxaliplatin-containing induction chemotherapy and favorable systemic outcome of sequential radiotherapy in rectal cancer. OncoTarget. vol. 7 (23).
- (2016) Hypoxia regulates Notch-3 mRNA and receptor activation in prostate cancer cells. Heliyon. vol. 2 (5).
- (2016) High tumor glycine concentration is an adverse prognostic factor in locally advanced rectal cancer. Radiotherapy and Oncology. vol. 118 (2).
- (2016) Pro-survival responses to the dual inhibition of anti-apoptotic Bcl-2 family proteins and mTOR-mediated signaling in hypoxic colorectal carcinoma cells. BMC Cancer. vol. 16:531.
- (2015) Quantitative diffusion-weighted MRI of rectal cancer is strongly influenced by the choice of b-values. Radiotherapy and Oncology. vol. 115.
- (2015) Early increase in circulating carbonic anhydrase IX during neoadjuvant treatment predicts favourable outcome in locally advanced rectal cancer. BMC Cancer. vol. 15:543.
- (2015) Sulfamate inhibitor S4 influences carbonic anhydrase IX ectodomain shedding in colorectal carcinoma cells. Journal of Enzyme Inhibition and Medicinal Chemistry. vol. 31 (5).
- (2015) Circulating proteins in response to combined-modality therapy in locally advanced rectal cancer identified by antibody array screening. Cancer Research. vol. 75 (15).
- (2015) High tumor PI3K signaling in resistance to chemoradiotherapy and metastatic dissemination of locally advanced rectal cancer. Molecular Cancer Therapeutics. vol. 14 (7).
- (2015) Tumor phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase signaling in therapy resistance and metastatic dissemination of rectal cancer: Opportunities for signaling-adapted therapies. Critical Reviews in Oncology/Hematology. vol. 95 (1).
- (2015) Personalized radiotherapy: concepts, biomarkers and trial design. British Journal of Radiology (BJR). vol. 88:20150009 (1051).
- (2015) Prediction of response to neoadjuvant chemotherapy followed by chemoradiotherapy in rectal cancer by MRI volumetry. Radiotherapy and Oncology. vol. 115.
- (2015) MRI volumetry for prediction of tumour response to neoadjuvant chemotherapy followed by chemoradiotherapy in locally advanced rectal cancer. British Journal of Radiology (BJR). vol. 88:20150097 (1051).
- (2014) On the role of experimental microenvironmental conditions in targeted inhibition of the pH-regulating carbonic anhydrase IX in colorectal carcinoma cells. Cancer Research. vol. 74.
- (2014) Molecular mechanisms of targeted drug toxicities in a clinical combined-modality radiotherapy study. Radiotherapy and Oncology. vol. 111.
- (2014) The Pelvic Radiation and Vorinostat (PRAVO) phase 1 study identifying MYC repression as biomarker of histone deacetylase inhibitor activity. Molecular Cancer Therapeutics. vol. 12.
- (2014) Biomarkers of histone deacetylase inhibitor activity in a phase 1 combined-modality study with radiotherapy. PLOS ONE. vol. 9 (2).
- (2014) Kinase activity in vemurafenib-sensitive and resistant BRAF-mutant melanoma cells. Molecular Cancer Therapeutics. vol. 12.
- (2014) Nye MR-teknikker for evaluering og prediksjon av respons på neoadjuvant behandling ved rektumcancer. Bestpractice Onkologi/Hematologi. vol. 16.
- (2013) Modifications in dynamic contrast-enhanced magnetic resonance imaging parameters after alpha-particle-emitting Th-227-trastuzumab therapy of HER2-expressing ovarian cancer xenografts. International Journal of Radiation Oncology, Biology, Physics. vol. 87 (1).
- (2013) Hypoxia-independent downregulation of hypoxia-inducible factor 1 targets by androgen deprivation therapy in prostate cancer. International Journal of Radiation Oncology, Biology, Physics. vol. 87 (4).
- (2013) Hypoxic tumor kinase signaling mediated by STAT5A in development of castration-resistant prostate cancer. PLOS ONE. vol. 8 (5).
- (2013) Differential inhibition of ex-vivo tumor kinase activity by vemurafenib in BRAF(V600E) and BRAF wild-type metastatic malignant melanoma. PLOS ONE. vol. 8 (8).
- (2012) ANDROGEN DEPRIVATION THERAPY PRIOR TO IRRADIATION OF PROSTATE CANCER: EXPRESSION OF HYPOXIA-INDUCED PROTEINS AND CHANGES IN DIFFUSION WEIGHTED MRI PARAMETERS. Radiotherapy and Oncology. vol. 102.
- (2012) DCEMRI IN ASSESSMENT OF TUMOR NEOVASCULARIZATION AFTER ANDROGEN-DEPRIVATION IN EXPERIMENTAL PROSTATE CANCER: CORRELATION TO QUANTITATIVE IMMUNOHISTOCHEMISTRY. Radiotherapy and Oncology. vol. 102.
- (2012) Vascular responses to radiotherapy and androgen-deprivation therapy in experimental prostate cancer. Radiation Oncology. vol. 7.
- (2011) Liposomal doxorubicin improves radiotherapy response in hypoxic prostate cancer xenografts. Radiation Oncology. vol. 6.
- (2011) Protein kinase activity and therapy response. European Journal of Cancer.
- (2011) Monitoring the Effect of Targeted Therapies in a Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumor Xenograft Using a Clinical PET/CT. Molecular Imaging and Biology. vol. 13 (6).
- (2011) Early prediction of response to radiotherapy and androgen-deprivation therapy in prostate cancer by repeated functional MRI: a preclinical study. Radiation Oncology. vol. 6.
- (2010) Radiotherapy and inhibition of the EGF family as treatment strategies for prostate cancer: combining theragnostics with theragates. Oncology Reviews. vol. 5 (2).
- (2010) Monitoring the Effect of Targeted Therapies in a Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumor Xenograft Using a Clinical PET/CT. Molecular Imaging and Biology.
- (2010) Preclinical dynamic F-18-FDG PET - tumor characterization and radiotherapy response assessment by kinetic compartment analysis. Acta Oncologica. vol. 49 (7).
- (2010) Prediction of response to cancer therapy from functional magnetic resonance image parameters - an artificial neural network approach. European Journal of Cancer. vol. 8 (5).
- (2010) Longitudinal magnetic resonance imaging-based assessment of vascular changes and radiation response in androgen-sensitive prostate carcinoma xenografts under androgen-exposed and androgen-deprived conditions. Neoplasia. vol. 12 (10).
- (2009) Establishment and Characterization of a Human Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumour (GIST) Xenograft in Athymic Nude Mice. Anticancer Research. vol. 29 (11).
- (2009) Artificial neural networks for prediction of response to chemoradiation in HT29 xenografts. International Journal of Radiation Oncology, Biology, Physics. vol. 75 (2).
- (2009) Artificial neural networks for prediction of response to chemoradiation in ht29 xenografts. International Journal of Radiation Oncology, Biology, Physics. vol. 75 (2).
- (2008) Dynamic contrast enhanced magnetic resonance imaging of bladder cancer and implications for biological image-adapted radiotherapy. Acta Oncologica. vol. 47 (7).
- (2008) Inhibitory effects of oxaliplatin in experimental radiation trestment of colorectal carcinoma : does oxiliplatin improve 5-fluorouracil-dependent radiosensivity?. Radiotherapy and Oncology. vol. 86.
- (2008) Principal component analysis for the comparison of metabolic profiles from human rectal cancer biopsies and colorectal xenografts using high–resolution magic angle spinning 1H magnetic resonance spectroscopy. Molecular Cancer. vol. 25 (7).
- (2007) Treatment response following combined capecitabine, oxaliplatin and radiation therapy monitored by diffusion weighted magnetic resonance imaging (DW-MRI) in a xenograft model. European Journal of Cancer Supplements. vol. 5 (4).
- (2007) Early changes in apparent diffusion coefficient predict the quantitative antitumoral activity of capecitabene, oxaliplatin, and irradiation in HT29 xenografts in athymic nude mice. Neoplasia. vol. 9 (5).
- (2007) Construction of a modified capacitive overlap MR coil for imaging of small animals and objects in a clinical whole-body scanner. Physics in Medicine and Biology. vol. 52.
- (2007) Noninvasive monitoring of radiation-induced treatment respons using proton magnetic resonance spectroscopy and diffusion-weighted magnetic resonance imaging in a colorectal tumor model. Radiotherapy and Oncology. vol. 85.