Background and activities
I am an electrical engineer (specialisation on energy systems) and got my diploma and PhD in Germany working with energy storage, solar systems and integration of wind energy into the German market. I have also done studies for industry related to the optimal operation planning of power plant portfolios. From 2010 on, I worked as postdoc and researcher for NTNU and SINTEF Energy; mainly on energy systems, offshore wind, energy transmission, CO2-emissions, microgrids, electric/hydrogen vehicles, integration of renewables and hydro power scheduling.
Apparently, I am Associated Professor for Sustainable Electrical Energy at the Department of Electric Power Engineering and manager of NTNU Energy Team Solar
- from 2019: Associate Professor for Sustainable Electrical Energy at the Department of Electric Power Engineering (NTNU)
- 2017-2019: Researcher at the Department of Electric Power Engineering (NTNU)
- 2010-2017: Researcher in the group for Energy Systems at SINTEF Energy
- worked in several groups: Active Power Grids, Market and Grid Analysis, System Dynamics
- 2010-2012: Postdoc in the project NOWITECH at the Department of Electric Power Engineering (NTNU)
- Balance Management with large scale offshore wind integration
- 2004-2010: PhD at the Department of Energy Technology (University of Wuppertal)
- Optimized operation management of wind energy plants by energy storage
- 2003-2004: Research Assistant at the Department of Power Electronics and Electromagnetic compatibility (Chemnitz University of Technology)
- 1998-2003: Master student in Electrical Engineering at the Department of Electrical Power Technology (Chemnitz University of Technology)
- Model optimization of a universal storage system in ATP / EMTP
- energy system analysis
- solar energy, wind power
- energy storage (incl. electric cars)
- hydrogen systems
I teach or have taught in the following courses
- ET6205 - Fremtidens distribusjonsnett (EVU, NTNU)
- IELET2118 - Electric Power Transmission and Distribution (BSc, NTNU)
- TELE2005 - Elektriske lavspentinstallasjoner (BSc, NTNU)
- TELE3013 - High Voltage Electric Power Generation and Distribution (BSc, NTNU)
- TEP4225 - Energy and Environment (MSc, NTNU)
- TET4105 - Power System Analysis 1 (MSc, NTNU)
- TET4155 - Infrastructure for Energy Transmission and Distribution (MSc, NTNU)
- TET4175 - Design and Operation of Smart Grid Power Systems (MSc, NTNU)
- TET4850 - Experts in Teamwork - The Energy Challenge for a Sustainable Future (MSc, NTNU)
- TET4853 - Experts in Teamwork - Solar in the Nordics (MSc, NTNU)
- Energy economics (BSc, University of Wuppertal)
- Energy conversion (MSc, University of Wuppertal)
Supervision of students
- "Digital Solar Electricity - The Role of Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence and Energy Optimization", Berhane Dimd
- "A Central Fault Identification, Classification and Diagnosing Method for Small-Scale PV System: Data Driven Techniques", Tarikua Zenebe (co-supervisor)
- "Long-term grid planning considering the electricity demand and flexibility potential of electric transport", Aurora Fosli Flataker (co-supervisor)
- Master / Specialisation Project / Diploma
- Design og konstruksjon av et mini-smarthus
- Mobile hydrogen supply potentials for offshore fish farms
- Design and installation of a mobile 2-axis solar tracking system
- Utvikling av energiforsyningssystem for grunnskolen Eco Moyo i Kenya
- Agrivoltaic System Design for Norwegian Conditions
- Sustainable energy solutions for the country school on Skårøya
- in addition, co-supervisor and examiner for several other works
- Coordinator for bachelor education Electrical Engineering (BIELEKTRO)
- Cooperation with
- Member of
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2022) A Review of Machine Learning-Based Photovoltaic Output Power Forecasting: Nordic Context. IEEE Access. vol. 10.
- (2021) Emissions of electric vehicle charging in future scenarios: The effects of time of charging. Journal of Industrial Ecology. vol. 25 (5).
- (2021) Regionalized climate footprints of battery electric vehicles in Europe. Journal of Cleaner Production. vol. 322.
- (2019) An Integrated Assessment of the Environmental and Economic Impact of Offshore Oil Platform Electrification. Energies. vol. 12 (11).
- (2015) Virkninger av EUs klimapolitikk for 2030 : mot et grønnere Europa. Samfunnsøkonomen. vol. 129 (3).
- (2013) Transmission expansion planning in Northern Europe in 2030-Methodology and analyses. Energy Policy. vol. 61.
- (2013) Balancing of Wind Power Variations using Norwegian Hydro Power. Wind Engineering : The International Journal of Wind Power. vol. 37 (1).
Part of book/report
- (2012) Onshore and Offshore Transmission Expansion in the European Grid for Large Scale Wind Integration in the North Sea. CIGRE Session 44, 26th to 31st August 2012 : set of papers.
- (2011) Improved Method for Integrating Renewable Energy Sources into the Power System of Northern Europe Transmission Expansion Planning for Wind Power Integration. Conference Proceeding - 2011 10th International Conference on Environment and Electrical Engineering IEEE Conference Record #17607 IEEE Catalog Number: CFP1151I-CDR.
- (2011) Ant Colony based Transmission Expansion developed for the Nordic Area and Great Britain. PowerTech 2011 Proceedings.
- (2018) Smart EV charging systems for Zero Emission Neighbourhoods. SINTEF akademisk forlag. 2018. ISBN 978-82-536-1581-3. ZEN Report (5).
- (2014) Energi- og miljøpåvirkning av elbil Systemanalyse med EMPS (Samkjøringsmodellen). 2014. ISBN 9788259435828. SINTEF Energi. Rapport (TR A7385).
- (2019) Emissions of electric vehicle charging in future scenarios: The effects of time of charging. SETAC Europe 29th Annual Meeting . Society of environmental toxicology and chemistry (SETAC); Helsinki. 2019-05-27 - 2019-05-30.
- (2011) Balance Management with Large Scale Offshore Wind Integration. Deep Sea Offshore 2011 ; 2011-01-20 - 2011-01-21.
- (2011) Changes in the Utilisation of the Norwegian Hydro Reservoir by Balancing the North Sea Offshore Wind. EWEA Offshore 2011 . EWEA; Amsterdam. 2011-11-28 - 2011-12-01.