NTNU offers a range of courses at the doctoral level. In addition to the doctoral thesis, a PhD education consists of a coursework component of at least 30 ECTS. Most PhD programmes have a combination of compulsory and elective courses. As part of your application process, you must develop a plan for your coursework component. For more information on which courses are available for you, look at the web pages of the specific PhD programme.
Doctoral courses through Nordic universities
Nordic Five Tech (N5T) is an exclusive, strategic alliance of the five leading technical universities in Denmark, Finland, Norway and Sweden. As a PhD candidate at one of these universities, you may attend PhD courses at all five universities at no extra cost.
If you are not a PhD candidate at NTNU, you may still apply for and attend PhD courses here.
Graduate researcher schools
A graduate researcher school consists of a network of universities, university colleges and research institutes and complements the regular PhD programmes. By participating in a graduate researcher school you gain access to a larger research group, a greater variety of PhD courses, joint seminars and so on. Once you have been admitted to a PhD programme, you may join a graduate researcher school in your field of study.
Graduate researcher schools for PhD candidates at NTNU:
- Authoritative Texts and Their Reception – ATTR
- Centre for Digital Life Norway Research School – DLNRS
- Enterprise Development and Work-life Research
- National Graduate School in Teacher Education – NAFOL
- National Research School in General Practice – NAFALM
- National Graduate School in Educational Research – NATED
- National interdisciplinary Research School Religion-Values-Society
- National Research School in Population based Epidemiology – EPINOR
- Norwegian Graduate Researcher School in Linguistics and Philology
- Norwegian Graduate School in History
- Norwegian PhD Network on Nanotechnology for Microsystems
- Norwegian PhD School of Heart Research – NORHEART
- Norwegian Research School for Research and Development of Municipal Health and Care
- Norwegian Graduate School in Biocatalysis – BioCat
- Norwegian Research School in Infection Biology and Antimicrobials – IBA
- Norwegian Research School in Global Health
- Norwegian Research School in Innovation
- Norwegian Research School in Medical Imaging
- Norwegian Research School in Neuroscience
- The Norwegian Research School in Renewable Energy
- Norwegian Researcher School in Geography
- Norwegian Research School on Dynamics and Evolution of Earth and Planets
- Petroleum Research School of Norway
- Research School in Biosystematics
- Research School of Computer and Information Security