NTNU offers a range of courses at the doctoral level. In addition to the doctoral thesis, a PhD education consists of a coursework component of at least 30 ECTS. Most PhD-programmes have a combination of compulsory and elective courses. As part of your application process, you must develop a plan for your coursework component. For more information on which courses are available for you, look at the web pages of the specific PhD-programme.
Doctoral courses through Nordic universities
Nordic Five Tech (N5T) is an exclusive, strategic alliance of the five leading technical universities in Denmark, Finland, Norway and Sweden. As a PhD-candidate at one of these universities, you may attend PhD-courses at all five universities at no extra cost.
If you are not a PhD-candidate at NTNU, you may still apply for and attend PhD-courses here.
Graduate researcher schools
A graduate researcher school consists of a network of universities, university colleges and research institutes and complements the regular PhD-programmes. By participating in a graduate researcher school you gain access to a larger research group, a greater variety of PhD-courses, joint seminars and so on. Once you have been admitted to a PhD-programme, you may join a graduate researcher school in your field of study.
Graduate researcher schools for PhD-candidates at NTNU:
- Authoritative Texts and Their Reception – ATTR
- Enterprise Development and Work-life Research
- National Graduate School in Teacher Education – NAFOL
- National Research School in General Practice – NAFALM
- National Graduate School in Educational Research – NATED
- National Graduate School in Structural Biology
- National Research School in Population based Epidemiology – EPINOR
- Norwegian Graduate Researcher School in Linguistics and Philology
- Norwegian PhD Network on Nanotechnology for Microsystems
- Norwegian PhD School of Heart Research – NORHEART
- Norwegian Research School in Global Health
- Norwegian Research School in Innovation
- Norwegian Research School in Medical Imaging
- Norwegian Research School in Neuroscience
- The Norwegian Research School in Renewable Energy
- Norwegian Researcher School in Geography
- Research School in Biosystematics
- Research School of Computer and Information Security