Utilize smart grid technologies to enable new protection strategies for improvement of power system performance and integration of renewables.
- Investigate and demonstrate new protection and fault location methods for power systems with distributed energy sources.
- Develop and test new distributed sensor technology for fault location and handling.
- Utilize synchrophasor technology to implement and demonstrate wide area protection and control.
- Develop a robust and flexible communication architecture and protocols to supports the new protection, fault location and control methods.
- Establish a power system protection demonstration lab.
- Recommend protection strategies for integration of distributed energy sources.
- Educate 4 PhD students to become specialists in power system protection and publish 12 journal papers and 8 conference papers.