How to apply
The information on this page applies to:
- Exchange students or free movers planning to take courses at NTNU
- Students doing project work, an internship or writing their master's thesis
Starting spring semester
- All: 1 October
Starting autumn semester
- Non-EU/non-EEA students: 1 April
- EU/EEA students: 1 May
We require all international students to have a good command of English at an academic level and you may need to provide TOEFL/IELTS test scores. Students taking courses in English are not required to have any Norwegian language knowledge. If you want to take classes in Norwegian, you will in most cases have to document the necessary language skills.
Architecture students must have completed a minimum of three years at their home institution (bachelor) prior to arrival in Trondheim. Only courses at a master's level (year 4 and 5) are offered in English. In these subject areas we are also not able to supervise any bachelor's thesis work.
Step 2: Apply using Søknadsweb
- Go to the application portal Søknadsweb.
- Select language in the top right corner where it says "Norsk bokmål".
- Click on "International Applicant".
- Click on "Register new international applicant".
- Answer the questions. The answer to your question will in no way affect your application, assuming you are considered eligible to apply.
- On the question regarding financing, please note that all students who are non-European citizens must have a way to finance their stay in order to receive a residence permit to Norway.
- You have now reached the actual application form. Please register as an applicant using your full name as it is written in your passport, but note that you cannot use letters that are not in the English alphabet.
- You will receive your password by e-mail.
- Log on to SøknadsWeb with your e-mail address and password, and fill in the application details.
- Choose 'Select' under 'Exchange student'. Please note that selecting 'Early admission' will not affect the processing time of your application.
- In the ‘Extra information' field please fill in the information below in the following order:
- Home institution
- Courses which you would like to apply to at NTNU. Fill in both the course code and the name of the course. Use course search to find courses. If you wish to do a thesis or project work, please indicate this.
- Upload the documents listed in Step 3.
Please note that there is no "submit button" in Søknadsweb.
Step 3: Upload documents to Søknadsweb
The following documents must be uploaded to Søknadsweb:
- Official grade transcripts for all university studies (including grade transcript and diploma from bachelor degree studies)
- French students should also submit grade transcripts from Les classes préparatoires aux grandes écoles (CPGE)
- Translation of grade transcripts if originally in another language than English
- List of courses in progress
- The personal identification page of your passport
- Documentation of English proficiency, if required
- A short CV
- Additional form for exchange students
Trondheim - Office of International Relations
International House, O. S. Bragstads plass 3, 7491 Trondheim, Norway
Opening hours: 10am-3pm
Telephone: +47 73595700
Fax: +47 73595210
Gjøvik - Office of International Relations
Visiting address: Teknologivegen 22, 2815 Gjøvik, Norway
Postal address: P.O. box 191, 2802 Gjøvik, Norway
Ålesund - International Office
Mailing address: P.O. box 1517, 6025 Ålesund, Norway
Visiting address: Larsgårdsvegen 2, 6009 Ålesund