Courses for exchange students
On 1 January 2016, NTNU merged with the University Colleges of Trondheim, Gjøvik and Ålesund. For you as an exchange student, this means you have three cities to choose between.
Note that you can only select courses in one city.
Courses in Trondheim
You can easily find courses taught in English by using the Online course catalog. Some study areas also provide lists over the courses they offer in English.
Almost all of NTNU's courses are listed in the Online course catalog, remember to check the boxes "taught in English" and "Trondheim"
Norwegian language courses
Economics and Management
Humanities and Music Studies
Information Technology, Electrical Engineering and Mathematics Studies
Medical and Health Sciences
Courses in Gjøvik
Courses in English offered at NTNU in Gjøvik:
Degree programmes taught in English at NTNU in Gjøvik are listed below. Please check the programme pages for more information about the courses:
- MSc Applied Computer Science
- MSc Information Security
- MSc Interaction Design
- MSc Sustainable Manufacturing
- IMT 4461 Project work for exchange master's students (30 ECTS credits)
- IMT 4471 Project work for exchange master's students (20 ECTS credits)
Note that for IMT4461 and IMT4471, as well as for bachelor thesis and project work, you will need to contact and make an appointment with a supervisor at NTNU in Gjøvik prior to application.
The first and third semesters are autumn semesters (A); the second and fourth semesters are spring semesters (S). Some courses are only available one semester each year.
Courses in Ålesund
Courses in English offered at NTNU in Ålesund:
Bachelor level courses
- ICT and Automation
- Business and Marketing
- Life Sciences
- Norwegian language course for exchange students
Master level courses
Degree programmes taught in English at NTNU in Ålesund are listed below. Please check the programme pages for more information about the courses:
Tips for choosing and changing courses
Almost all of NTNU's courses can be found using the online course catalogue. Below are some tips to guide you to select courses:
- Check the box 'taught in English' and select the correct city under "Teaching location".
- Courses listed for autumn 2016 will normally be available again autumn 2017.
- Bachelor courses are normally called "Foundation", "Intermediate" or "Third-year" courses, Master's level courses are called "Second degree level" and PhD courses are called "Doctoral degree level". Some variations of these names may occur.
- Are you eligible? Check if the course requires previous knowledge, the language of instruction, study level, ect.
- You can choose courses at different faculties/institutes.
- If a course is project based it can normally be supervised in English, even though the language of instruction is Norwegian.
- You are not guaranteed entry to the courses you select. It is the faculty/institute that have the final say in whether you get admission to a course.
Changing your courses
If the course you list is not offered or you are not eligible for admission, you will get the opportunity to pick new courses after arrival at NTNU. Also, if you change your mind about the courses you would like to take; it is usually not a problem to change your courses after arrival.