FAQ for international master's programmes

Please note: Due to the huge number of applicants, we simply cannot confirm the arrival of individual documents or applications. If you wish to be certain your documents have arrived you may send them via a company that offers a tracking system or via registered mail.

Admission and rejection letters

As a rule, admission letters will be sent by email in May. Rejection letters will be sent by email by the end of May.
Please note that due to the huge number of applicants, we cannot respond individually to people who want to know the results of the admissions process before we send the acceptance and rejection letters. We regret this, and wish all applicants the best of luck.

What do I do about applying for visa/ residence permit?
The electronically generated admissions letter sent to you by email is valid and can be submitted as proof of your acceptance when you apply for a student visa to Norway. Please apply for a visa as soon as possible using your email confirmation of admission. The visa process can be time consuming and it is best to initiate it as soon as you have the necessary paperwork, including the email admissions letter.

Application process

Do all my documents have to be uploaded by 15 January?
You should aim to have all your documents uploaded by 15 January. 

However, we accept English language documentation (by post) and CDGDC and HEC verfication reports (by post) up until 1 March. You can also send us recommendation letters (by post or email) up until 1 March - please do not do this if you have already uploaded the recommendation letters online.

Is there a preliminary application round?
The application system at NTNU has changed , and we no longer have a preliminary application. All applications should be considered final, and all required documentation should be uploaded to your application before 15 January.

When do I send hard copies of my documentation?
We do no longer require hard copies of your documentation, as all documents should be uploaded to your online application, unless your are from one of the countries where we require transcripts sent directly from your university or we require verification from a national agency. English documentation should also be sent by post. Please see an overview here.

Can I fill out the application form electronically, or should I fill it out by hand? 
Both are okay, as long as you remember to sign the form before you upload it.

Must I sign the form, I don't have access to a scanner?
You must print and sign the application form. However, it is possible to take a photo of the documents instead of scanning it. Just make sure the quality is good enough for us to read it.

Motivation, recommendation, portfolio and CV

Should I provide a motivation letter and CV?
Yes, please submit a CV and motivation letter. There is no particular format/layout.

Do I have to provide a recommendation letter and how many must I provide? Does NTNU use a specific layout for the recommendation letters?
Please submit two letters of recommendation.There is no particular layout that should be used, a regular letter will serve just fine. Please send the recommendation letters along with your application/other documents.

Can I use a recommendation letter I have used in a previous application to NTNU? Yes, this is fine.

Is a portfolio necessary to apply for an architecture programme? Also, does it improve my chances of admission if I send a portfolio even if my application does not require it?
A portfolio is not mandatory, but may be beneficial to your application when applying for the Master's Programme in Architecture.

English language requirements

Should I upload TOEFL/IELTS reccord or send it by post?
Please do both. Upload a copy of the test and also send us certified copy of your TOEFL/IELTS test results. We also accept TOEFL/IELTS scores sent directly from the TOEFL/IELTS institution.

I don't have the TOEFL/IELTS scores at the time of sending in my application, what should I do?
You can send us additional documentation for the English language certification up until 1 March.

I have a bachelor's degree that was taught entirely in English, does this exempt me from the TOEFL/IELTS test?
No, not unless you have a degree majoring in English, or you are from one of the countries listed as exempted.

Do you accept institutional TOEFL tests?
No, we do not.

What is NTNU's TOEFL Department Code?
The department code is 9652.

What is the validity of my TOEFL/IELTS test?
The score must be valid at the time of admission. This means that if you are applying for admission to the degrees starting in August  you must have a TOEFL/IELTS score valid until at least August the year of admission.

Passport and personal information

I don't have a passport. Can I send to you a certified copy of my national card? Can I submit my documents without including a copy of my passport?
Yes, a certified copy of a valid national ID card is acceptable if you do not yet have a passport. However, note that we cannot process your application unless we receive some form of official ID document, so you must supply either a passport or some other form of national ID card. Your application will not be considered unless this is submitted.


Do I need to enclose documentation of financing if I only want to apply through the Quota scheme? No, you do not.

What is the status of the Quota Scheme?
The Quota Scheme is under evaluation and it is uncertain if the Scheme will admit new students. You are still welcome to apply, but please note that there may be changes. Please contact SIU for more information.

I have a bank statement from my sponsor which is now two months old, is that acceptable for the application process?
Yes, that is acceptable, as long as the statement is no older than 3 months.

How do I provide documentation when I want to use a private sponsor? What if I am going to finance myself?
You have to submit a letter from your sponsor, confirming that he/ she is indeed willing to be your sponsor, as well as a bank balance statement, showing that the sponsor has the required amount of money available. If you are going to finance yourself, you must submit a certified copy of your bank statement, showing that you have the required amount in your account.

The financial requirement is at present NOK 97 850 per year, but the master's degree programme lasts for two years. Do I need to show that I have NOK 97 850 or twice this amount?
You will only need to show that you have NOK 97 850. Please note, however, that you will only get a residence permit for one year, and this must be renewed. With your application for renewal, you will have to show documentation that you have access to this amount once again. Please also note that the financial requirement will increase by next year. Normally the increase is approximately NOK 2000,-. Check udi.no for updated information regarding this issue.

Transcripts, records, diplomas

Must I send the certificate from my higher secondary school?
Yes, we require you to upload secondary education certificates or a diploma. If you are an EU/EEA citizen applying for an exemption from the English requirement, you must document this by supplying a grade transcript or similar.

My GPA is based on a different grading scale than the one you are using. Should I convert my GPA to the ECTS-scale?
No, you should not convert your grades. Please just write your GPA according to the grading scale used at your university. We will make the necessary conversion when we start going through the applications.

I haven't completed my bachelor degree by the application deadline. What should I do?
Please submit the transcripts that you have, as well as a list of the courses that you are currently enrolled in. We also need a confirmation from your university that you are expected to graduate in the summer of the admission year. Please note that the final Bachelor's diploma must be sent to NTNU as soon as you receive it.

My school is on Christmas vacation, and it will not be possible for them to send the transcripts within the deadline the15 January. What do I do?
You can send us a certified copy of your transcripts/diploma along with your application package, and ask your university to send the transcripts once they are back.

I'm an applicant from China. I should send my diploma and transcripts to CDGDC but I haven't graduated so I don't have a diploma. What should I do?
Please include a copy of your transcript and a confirmation that you are expected to graduate in the year of the admission in your application package. Then send your transcript to CDGDC for verification. We will receive a verification report directly from CDGDC. Please also send us your final diploma as soon as you get it.

Should I provide my CDGDC-verfication in both English and Chinese? We only need CDGDC-verification of the English version of your transcript and diploma.

I have been accepted, now what?

What is NTNU's organization number?

What is the name of the Norwegian bank where I should transfer money when I apply for a visa?
The name of the bank is DNB NOR, NO-0021 OSLO

What shall I use as my Trondheim address when I apply for a visa?
You should use this address: Moholt Student Village, 7050 Trondheim, Norway

How can I arrange for a room at the student village?
The Office of International Relations at NTNU will arrange for a room for master's students who need a single room. Once you have returned the acknowledgement form and informed us that you need a single room, we will give you the booking code which you must use to book the room.

Please note: You will receive a contract by e-mail from the student village. Please check your e-mail every day in June/July to see if you have received the contract. All necessary information regarding accommodation will be included in the contract. Be aware that you have to pay a deposit (NOK 5000,-) and sign the contract, as stated in the contract you will receive, by the deadline.

Can I defer my admission until next year?
No, you cannot. If you for some reason do not accept your offer, you must apply again next year. Please inform us as soon as possible if you decide not to accept.

How do I return the acknowledgement form?
Please send the signed and scanned acknowledgment form to us by the deadline stated in your admission letter. Do not send the form by regular mail. Please send the email to the appropriate programme coordinator, anette.moen@ntnu.no for Quota or oddrun.maao@ntnu.no for individual funding.

When do I get a reply confirmation that you have received the deposit money I transferred?
It usually takes between 7-14 days for international transfers to come through, sometimes longer. NTNU will send you a confirmation as soon as the money is in our account.

I am having trouble transferring money from my home country, but the admission letter says the money must be transferred by the students themselves. Is it possible to have someone else transfer money for me?
Yes, someone else can transfer this money for you; however, it needs to be clear from the transfer which student the transfer is intended for – the student's name will need to be clearly stated.

How do I apply for a visa/ residence permit?
Please see udi.no and apply as soon as you have received your admission letter and other information by email. We recommend that you apply for you visa by 1 June, or as soon as you have all the documentation you require.

Where can I find out more about what it is like to live in Trondheim and in Norway?
You can find some un information about Trondheim, or information about the more practical aspects of living in Trondheim and Norway, on the International Researcher Support webpages. Although many of these pages are aimed at PhD candidates, much of the information may be relevant to master's students as well. Also check out our Facebook page for insights on student life in Trondheim.

May I bring my wife/ husband and children with me?
For information regarding family immigration, please visit UDI's webpage. Please note that we only offer single rooms for admitted students. If you plan to bring your family you must arrange for accommodation on your own.

Tue, 24 Mar 2015 11:11:56 +0100


International House
Gløshaugen campus
O. S. Bragstads plass 3
NO-7491 Trondheim, Norway

Student contact form

Telephone: +47 73595700
Fax: +47 73595210

Social media: Facebook
Web: ntnu.edu/international
FAQs: ntnu.edu/studies/faq

Hours: 10:00 - 15:00 weekdays