Admission - Master of Fine Art (MFA)
Admission to the Master in Fine Art programme requires a bachelor's degree in arts (BFA or BA) in combination with a documented artistic practice.
Applicants are selected on the base of their artistic practice. It is therefore a requirement to apply with documentation demonstrating artistic qualification.
All courses in the International MFA program are taught in English.
Admission to the MFA requires a minimum of a bachelor's degree in arts or fine arts. Applicants for the International Master in Fine Art are selected on the base of their artistic practice. It is therefore required to apply with documentation demonstrating artistic qualification.
Students on a master level are expected to have already acquired a sense for their preferred working method and an interest in creating connections between different fields of research. A proposal for a research project is therefore also required as additional material for documenting artistic qualification. See the Required documentation chapter for additional information about the proposal.
Deadline for applications to International master Fine Art is 1st March for all students (Non-EU/EEA students, EU/EEA and Nordic applicants)
After the admission deadlines we will begin a selection process and contact eligible applicants for skype interviews.
- Applicants from EU/EEA and Nordic countries need to register online. All submission and upload of additional material is done through the application portal Søknadsweb.
See required documentation under Application procedures.
If you have general questions about education in Norway, such as living costs, housing or visa application, these should be directed to:
Office of international relations.
- The pages of your passport showing your photo, your full name, your date of birth and your nationality.
- Official transcripts and diplomas from all your college/university education. Documents which are not originally in Norwegian, Danish, Swedish or English, must be accompanied by an authorized translation of the original document into English.All documents must be uploaded in the correct format (.pdf).
- Copies of English language documentation, such as TOEFL or IELTS test results.
- Applicants with special needs: Applicants with any type of disability are treated on an equal basis with all other applicants. However, we need to know in advance if you require any additional support during your studies. Please upload a document with a short description of your disability to Søknadsweb.
- Documentation of funding: Only citizens from countries outside the EU/EEA need to document funding.
- An updated CV (max. 3 pages, PDF) should include information about former education, exhibitions and work experience.
- Proposal for a research project (max. two pages, PDF). Students on a master level are expected to have already acquired a sense for their preferred working method and are interested in creating connections between different fields of research.
We want your proposal to reflect on where you are in your process and where you want to go. We expect to get a sense of who you are and what your artistic practice consist of, so we can figure out if Trondheim Academy of Fine Art is the right place for you.
Suggestions for questions to begin with:
- Describe the project proposal that you would bring to the academy and develop here.
- What do you expect from a Master in Fine Art in relation to your project proposal?
- How do you understand the potential for artistic research in relation to your own production?
- How do you think Trondheim Academy of Fine Art, NTNU and Trondheim can contribute to your artistic development?
- Portfolio: Documentation of up to 10 works (max. 20 pages, PDF) consisting of visual documentation of artworks made within the past five years.
Keep each work on maximum of two pages each (include relevant information for images: Name of artist/collaborators/year/medium/size/exhibition venue).
Audio visual work: Make a screenshot or short text description on a page in the portfolio and add a link to the file.
If you have questions regarding the portfolio submission, please contact the Head of Study Program for guidance: email@example.com