Applicants have to fulfill the minimum NTNU entrance requirements, with the exception of the language requirements, and have a valid residence permit in Norway. All applications are processed in accordance with the Admission Regulations: §40 Forskrift om opptak til studier ved NTNU.
Applicants are divided into two main categories:
1. Applicants with NTNU affiliation
This includes Academic staff at NTNU, PhD Candidates, Postdoctoral Fellows, International master's students and Exchange students in Trondheim. Also for spouses/partners of Academic staff with a permanent position at NTNU, who will be paid for by their spouse's Department/Faculty. Administrative staff with a permanent position. Applicants with NTNU affiliation in Ålesund kan apply for Level 1 in Ålesund.
2. Applicants without NTNU affiliation
Immigrants who have a residence permit in Norway, also spouses of PhD Candidates, of Postdoctoral Fellows, and of students at NTNU. Please note that applicants belonging to this category cannot apply for level 1 or the short course.
You can find more information about documentation, course fee and level requirements under these links.
How to apply
The application deadline is 1 June for autumn semester, and 1 November for spring semester. You have to register a new application on Søknadsweb every semester. Registration on Studentweb is not sufficient.
1. Register your application on Søknadsweb (Opens 1 May for autumn and 1 October for spring semester). If you have a NTNU username and password you should use this information to log in. If not, use your ID number and create a 4 digit pin. Applicants who have not yet received their Norwegian ID number have to log in as an International applicant. New exchange students have to log in on Søknadsweb with the same email address and password that they used when they registered the initial exchange application. Choose "new application" and select "Norwegian For Foreigners". Select "Short course" if you are on exchange for 1 semester. Level 1 is only for exchange students on exchanges lasting at least 2 semesters.
2. When you have successfully registered your application you will receive a confirmation via e-mail. Upload all required documentation within one week on Søknadsweb (International master's and exchange students do not have to do this).
3. The results of the admission are sent via email around the end of July for the autumn semester, and the beginning of January for spring semester. You have to register your reply on Søknadsweb within the given deadline.
You have to upload the required documentation on Søknadsweb within one week after registering your application. For more information see "Documentation". You can see which documents we already have access to in My documents on Søknadsweb.
You upload documents via My applications > My documents on Søknadsweb. Please upload different attachments separately (but put all pages of the same attachment in one file) and name the attachments appropriately. Upload both sides of two sided documents. Make sure that uploaded files are in a standard document or picture format and that scanned documents are of a good quality.
Notifications concerning your application will be sent to you via e-mail only. It is therefore important that you check your e-mail regularly and that you ensure that your registered e-mail address is correct. The results of the admission will be sent to you via e-mail and posted on Søknadsweb.
There is a placement test for applicants for level 2 or 3 who have not taken the previous level at NTNU. The placement test for autumn semester 2019 will be held on Wednesday 12 June 2019. Applicants will receive an email with further information a week prior to the test.
See Level Requirements for details.
Contact the Admissions Office by e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone +47 73 59 77 00 if you have questions about the admission process.