DiTePES: Digital technology in physical education and sports
DiTePES: Digital technology in physical education and sports
The main aim of this international research group is to initiate and conduct research and developmental projects within the field of physical education (PE) and sports, and digital technology.
Description of the research group
So far, scholars in the group have initiated and conducted many different research projects covering a variety of aspects regarding the aim of the group. Some of the research questions these projects have answered are:
- How do flipped learning impact student motivation and learning in secondary and upper secondary school PE?
- How do students experience flipped learning in physical education teacher education (PETE) with focus on knowledge promotion and self-efficacy?
- How can flipped learning and the app “actioswim” impact on student and pupil motivation and learning in swimming and life rescue education?
- How do the approach of “gamification” impact student motivation in secondary school PE, and in PETE?
The main aim of the project is to investigate how flipped learning is used in school PE globally and to propose a framework for best practice based on contemporary theories of motivation and learning in PE.
Project members: Ove Østerlie (leader), Julia Sargent, Chad M. Killian, Alberto Ferriz Valero and Miguel Garcia Jaen.
Gosálbez-Carpena, P. A.; García-Martínez, S.; García-Jaén, M.; Østerlie, O.; Ferriz-Valero, A. (2021). Aplicación metodológica Flipped Classroom y Educación Física en enseñanza no universitaria: una revisión sistemática. Journal of Sport and Health Research.
The main aim of the project is to investigate how the learning framework called flipped learning affect motivation and learning in secondary physical education in Norway.
Project member: Ove Østerlie
Presentations at conferences
- Euroseminaret 2019, Rojales, Spain (9/10 – 11/10 2019). Østerlie, Ove. Omvendt undervisning for dybdelæring.
- AIESEP International Conference, Laramie, Wyoming, USA (8/6 – 11/6 2016). Østerlie, Ove. Flipped learning in Physical Education.
- FIEP. Cultural and Innovatory Practices in Physical Education in Asia, Tokyo, Japan (13/2 – 14/2 2016). Østerlie, Ove. Flipped teaching in physical education.
- Kroppsøvingskonferansen 2015, Oslo, Norway (11/6 – 12/6 2015). Østerlie, Ove. Omvendt undervisning i kroppsøving på ungdomsskolen.
- Østerlie, O. (2020). Flipped learning in physical education: A gateway to motivation and (deep) learning. (Doctoral thesis), Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Trondheim.
- Østerlie, O., & Mehus, I. (2020). The impact of flipped learning on cognitive knowledge learning and intrinsic motivation in Norwegian secondary physical education. Education Sciences, 10(110), 1-16.
- Østerlie, O., & Kjelaas, I. (2019). The perception of adolescents’ encounter with a flipped learning intervention in Norwegian physical education. Frontiers in Education, 4(114), 1-12.
- Østerlie, O. (2018). Can flipped learning enhance adolescents’ motivation in physical education? An intervention study. Journal for Research in Arts and Sports Education, 2, 1-15.
- Østerlie, O. (2018). Adolescents’ perceived cost of attending physical education: A flipped learning intervention. Journal for Research in Arts and Sports Education, 2(3), 1-17
- Østerlie, O. (2016). Flipped learning in physical education: Why and how? In D. Novak, B. Antala, & D. Knjaz (Eds.), Physical education and new technologies (pp. 166-176). Zagreb: Croatian Kinesiology Association.
- Trening av utholdenhet (only in Norwegian)
- Trening av koordinasjon (only in Norwegian)
- Trening av styrke (only in Norwegian)
The main aim of the project is to investigate how the learning framework flipped learning affect motivation and learning in PETE in Norway.
Project members: Ove Østerlie & Øyvind Bjerke.
- FoU i Praksis 2018, Trondheim, Norway (24/10 – 15/10 2018). Østerlie, Ove; Bjerke, Øyvind. Flipped learning in higher education: Students’ experiences in physical education teacher education (PETE) with focus on knowledge promotion and self-effecacy.
- Kroppsøvingskonferansen 2017, Oslo, Norway (8/6 – 9/6 2017) Bjerke, Øyvind; Østerlie, Ove. Omvendt undervisning i kroppsøving i høyere utdanning. Kroppsøvingskonferansen.
- ATEE, Changing Perspectives and Approaches in Contemporary Teaching, Dubrovnik, Croatia 23/10 – 25/10 2017. Østerlie, Ove; Bjerke, Øyvind. Flipped learning in higher education -Students’ experiences in physical education teacher education (PETE).
- Den 14. nordiske lærerutdanningkonferansen, Trondheim, Norway (11/5 – 13/5 2016). Østerlie, Ove; Bjerke, Øyvind. Omvendt undervisning i kroppsøving – en pilotstudie om effekten av omvendt undervisning på lærerstudenter sin motivasjon i kroppsøvingsundervisningen.
- Østerlie O., & Bjerke, Ø. Integrating flipped learning in physical education teaching education - The student perspective. (in writing).
The main aim of the project is to investigate how motivation is impacted by applying the methodology of “gamification” in physical education at university and high school levels in out-door activities.
Project members: Albert Ferriz Valero (leader), Salvador García Martínez, Miguel Garcia Jaen, Ove Østerlie, Sergio Selles, Jon Sundan and Geir Olav Kristensen.
Presentations at conferences
- Redes - Innovaestic 2019 . Universidad de Alicante (6/6 - 7/6 2019). Ferriz, Valero, Alberto; García Martínez, Salvador; Molina Garcia, Nuria; García Jaén, Miguel; Cejuela Anta, Roberto; Sellés Pérez, Sergio; Østerlie, Ove. F16616. Classcraft como herramienta TIC en Educación Superior: Metodologías activas en actividad física en el medio natural.
- Ferriz Valero, A., Østerlie, O., García Martínez, S., & García Jaén, M. (2020). Gamification in physical education: Evaluation of impact on motivation and academic performance within higher education. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 1-16.
- Ferriz Valero, A., García Martínez, S., Molina Garcia, N., García Jaén, M., Cejuela Anta, R., Sellés Pérez, S., & Østerlie, O. (2019). Classcraft como herramienta TIC en educación euperior: Metodologías activas en actividad física en el medio natural. In R. Roig-Vila, J. M. Antolí Martínez, A. Lledó Carreres, & N. Pellín Buades (Eds.), Memorias del programa de REDES-I3CE de calidad, innovación e investigación en docencia universitaria. Convocatoria 2018-19 (pp. 1039-1051). Alicante: Publicaciones Universidad de Alicante.
- Ferriz Valero, A., García Martínez, S., García Jaén, M., Østerlie, O., & Sellés Pérez, S. (2019). Gamificación: Metodologías activas en educación física en docencia universitaria. In R. Roig-Vila (Ed.), Investigación e innovación en la enseñanza superior. Nuevos contextos, nuevas ideas (pp. 1116-1126). Barcelona: Octaedro.
The main aim of this project is to investigate how flipped learning and the app “actioswim” can impact on student motivation and learning in swimming and life rescue education both in PETE and among pupils in primary and secondary school.
Project members: Egil Galaaen Gjølme (leader), Borgar Næss, Alex Strømme & Ove Østerlie
- Strømme, A., & Østerlie, O. (in press). Omvendt undervisning i svømme- og livredningsopplæring i skolen. In E. G. Gjølme (Ed.), Water competence. Oslo: Universitetsforlaget.
The main aim of this project is to investigate how digital technology and student centred approaches to teaching can enhance study quality. The project also aims to describing key actions to, in large scale, transform teaching to more students centred approaches like e.g. flipped learning and project based learning.
Project members: Ove Østerlie (leader), Alfredo Prieto, Roger Hadgraft & Mikael Cronhjort.
- Østerlie. O., Hadgraft, R., & Cronhjort, M. Staff experiences in the transition from traditional lecturing to a flipped learning approach in higher education. (in writing).
Members of research group
Øyvind Bjerke Associate Professor+47-73559784 +47-48010854 firstname.lastname@example.org Department of Teacher Education
Ingrid Elnan Assistant Professor+47-73412823 +47-95282416 email@example.com Department of Teacher Education
Egil Galaaen Gjølme Associate Professor in Sports and Physical Education+47-+4795890320 firstname.lastname@example.org Department of Teacher Education
Annepetra Røkke Jenssen Associate Professor+47-73559890 email@example.com Department of Teacher Education
Geir Olav Kristensen Assistant Professor physical education+47-73412842 +47-95964460 firstname.lastname@example.org Department of Teacher Education
Jon Sundan PhD Candidate in Physical Education+47-73412432 +47-46791443 email@example.com Department of Teacher Education
- PhD Mikael Cronhjort, KTH Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden
- Professor Roger Hadgraft, University of Technology Sydney, Australia
- Professor Miguel Garcia Jaen, University of Alicante, Spain
- Dr. Chad M. Killian, Georgia State University, USA
- Professor Salvador García Martínez, University of Alicante, Spain
- Borgar Næss, Swimming expert
- Professor Alfredo Prieto, University of Alcalá
- Dr Julia Sargent, The Open University, UK
- Professor Juan Manuel Cortell Tormo, University of Alicante, Spain
- Professor Alberto Ferriz Valero, University of Alicante, Spain