NTNU shall be the premise provider of the energy development and create values – economically, culturally and socially. NTNU will use its scientific technical profile, broad area of competences and multi-disciplinary skills to contribute to manage the large and complex challenges Norway and the world society are facing. The Strategic Thematic Area Energy will secure that NTNU address these challenges in an optimal way.
Main research topics
- Technological solutions for new renewable energy, especially solar energy, bioenergy and offshore wind power
- Energy efficiency and restructuring of energy systems in buildings
- Carbon capture and storage
- More effective recovery of oil and gas
- Policy, innovation and civic engagement for eco-friendly energy
- Smart energy systems (smart grids)
Collaboratorating research centres
EPRE consists of six goal-oriented multi-disciplinary research centres (NTNU-SINTEF) and three strategic initiatives:
Sustainable Buildings | Contact Arild Gustavsen
CO2 Capture and Storage (CCS | Contact Olav Bolland
The Norwegian Hydro Power Centre | Contact Ole Gunnar Dahlhaug
Our team includes 200 professors and 500 PhD candidates and postdocs working with basic research. In addition we educate 300 to 400 candidates to the energy sector every year.