- A first degree in a relevant field
- English proficiency
- Proof of financing
- Excellent academic performance: Most master's degree programs require an average grade of C or better on the ECTS scale as a minimum requirement for admission. NTNU converts GPAs for education from other countries than Norway, and applicants are ranked based on this assessment. We do not have the capacity to assess your grade average before you apply.
Unfortunately, we do not have the capacity to assess your academic background prior to the application process. To see if you are eligible, please read the academic requirements.
1 December 2016
Non-EU / non-EEA students
1 March 2017
EU / EEA / Nordic / Norwegian students: If you are from EU/EEA country and do not require a visa to study in Norway.
|Main application deadline||1 December||1 March||1 March|
|Deadline for uploading documentation||15 December||15 March||15 March|
|Documentation of English / HEC and CDGDC verification||1 February||1 April||--|
|Publication of answer to application||New date: 27 March||Around 15 May||15 May or 14 July*|
* Norwegian/Nordic applicants who have not finished their bachelor degree at the time of applying will be notified 14 July.
How to apply
- Go to the application portal Søknadsweb.
- Select language in the top right corner where it says "Norsk bokmål".
- Click on "International Applicant".
- Click on "Register new international applicant".
- Answer the question regarding your English qualifications.
- Answer the question regarding residence permit in Norway.
- Answer the question concerning financing.
- You have now reached the application form. Please register as an applicant, and you will receive your password by e-mail.
- Log on to Søknadsweb with your e-mail address and password, and fill in the application details.
- As the final step of the application process, you will be asked to submit the required documentation by uploading these.
- Please note that there is no "submit"-button.
- You can change your application as many times as you like up until the deadline.
Submitting multiple applications
Please do not register as an ‘international applicant' more than once. If you wish to submit more than one application (e.g. International Master's and Erasmus Mundus), log on to Søknadsweb with the email address and password you received the first time you registered. Then choose ‘New application'. If you have forgotten your password, please request a new one through Søknadsweb.
Documents to upload to the application portal Søknadsweb
- The pages of your passport showing your photo, your full name, your date of birth and your nationality
- If applicable, documentation of change of name (e.g. marriage certificate)
- Higher Secondary School grade transcript or diploma
- Official transcripts and diplomas from all your college/ university education
- Copies of English language documentation such as TOEFL or IELTS test results
- A letter of motivation
- An updated CV
- Documentation of financing: Name of sponsor, amount per year (please note that the minimum amount required per year is NOK 103,950) confirmation of scholarship, bank guarantee etc. Only citizens from countries outside the EU/EEA need to document financing.
- Additional application form: Fill out the form, sign it and upload it to Søknadsweb
Documents which are not originally in Norwegian, Danish, Swedish or English, must be accompanied by an authorized translation of the original document in English.
Documents to be sent as hard copies by post
- Bachelor/undergraduate diplomas:
- Applicants with degrees from Cameroon, Canada, Ethiopia, Eritrea, Ghana, Nigeria, the Philippines, Sudan, Uganda and USA must send their educational documents as hard copies directly from the college/university, in addition to uploading them online.
- Verification reports of educational documents (bachelor/undergraduate diplomas):
- Applicants who have a first degree from China must submit an application to the CDGDC. The verification report must be sent directly as a hard copy from CDGDC to NTNU.
- Applicants who have a first degree from Pakistan must submit an application to HEC. Once the transcripts and diplomas have a HEC stamp, they must be uploaded to Søknadsweb or sent by post or email to NTNU.
Showing originals after arrival in Trondheim
Students who are admitted to NTNU must bring all the original documents to Trondheim. Students failing to present all relevant original documents upon request may be denied admission or later told to leave the university.
FAQ and contact information
If you have questions, please consult our FAQ before contacting us.
To email documents to NTNU after Søknadsweb has closed, use firstname.lastname@example.org
To send hard copies to NTNU, please use the following address:
"Your application number"
International Master's Programmes
O. S. Bragstads plass 3
1 December 2017
EU / EEA / Norwegian students:
1 March 2017