Who can apply
Applicants have to fulfill the minimum NTNU entrance requirements, with the exception of the language requirements, and have a valid residence permit in Norway. All applications are processed in accordance with the Admission Regulations: §31 Forskrift om opptak til studier ved NTNU (English translation here). Applicants are divided into two main categories:
1. Applicants with NTNU affiliation
This includes Academic staff at NTNU, PhD Candidates, Postdoctoral Fellows, International master's students and Exchange students. Also for spouses/partners of Academic staff with a permanent position at NTNU, who will be paid for by their spouse's Department/Faculty.
2. Applicants without NTNU affiliation
Immigrants who have a residence permit in Norway, also spouses of PhD Candidates, of Postdoctoral Fellows and of students at NTNU. Please note that applicants belonging to this category can not apply for level 1 or Short course.
How to apply
The application deadline is 1 June for Autumn semester and 1 November for Spring semester.
1. Register your application in Søknadsweb. (Opens 1 October 2015). If you have a NTNU username and password use this. If not, use your ID number and create a 4 digit pin. Applicants who have not yet received their Norwegian ID number have to log in as an International applicant. New exchange students have to log in on Søknadsweb with the same email address and password used when registering the intial exchange application for Spring 2015. Choose "new application" and select "Norwegian For Foreigners". Select "Short course" if you are on exchange for 1 Semester. Level 1 is only for exchange students on exchanges lasting 2 semesters or more.
2. When you have successfully registered your application you will receive a receipt on e-mail with a link to an application file. Fill in and upload the application file in Søknadsweb, along with all required documentation within one week (does not apply for NTNU Master and exchange students, registration on Søknadsweb is sufficient).
3. You get a response to your application by email end of July for Autumn semester, and beginning of January for Spring semester. You have to register your reply via Søknadsweb within the deadline given in the email.
You have to upload the application file and all required documentation to Søknadsweb within one week after you have registered your application. You can see which documents we already have access to in My documents in Søkandsweb. See information here regarding PDF forms.
You upload documents via My applications > My documents in Søknadsweb. Please upload different attachments separately (but put all pages of the same attachment in one file) and name the attachments appropriately. You can upload the application file to the category Other documents. Upload both sides of two sided documents. Make sure that uploaded files are in a standard document or picture format and that scanned documents are of a good quality.
Notifications concerning your application will be sent to you via e-mail only. It is therefore important that you check your e-mail regularly and that you ensure that your registered e-mail address is correct. The response to your application will be sent to you by e-mail and posted in Søknadsweb
Starting autumn 2015 there is a placement test for applicants for level 2 or 3 who have not taken the previous level at NTNU. The placement test for spring semester 2016 will be held on Wednesday 18 November 2015. You will receive an email with further information a week prior to the test.
See Level Requirements for details.
Contact the Admissions Office by e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone +47 73 59 77 00 if you have questions about the admission process.