Background and activities
I am conducting research within the fields of Energy Planning and Power Markets. My interests are primarily focused towards integration of renewable energy in the energy system. My research activities include:
- Power system balancing
- Power market analysis
- Investment planning of transmission systems, including a future North Sea Grid
- Large-scale integration of renewable energy sources in Europe
- Generation scheduling in hydro-thermal power systems
- Demand-side Management
- Flexibility operation in Distribution systems
- Associate Professor at Dept. of Electric Power Engineering, NTNU (2015-)
- Scientific Advisor of SINTEF Energi (2015-)
- Research scientist at SINTEF Energi (2012-2015)
- Dr.ing. (Ph.D.) from Dept. of Electric Power Engineering, NTNU (2012) with the title: " Integrated Power System Balancing in Northern Europe - Models and Case Studies."
- Contributing to the FME research centres CINELDI and ZEN
- Contributing to the research centres NOWITECH, CEDREN. See www.nowitech.no and www.cedren.no
- Currently participating in the project:
- Past project involvement:
- FP7-EU TWENTIES, eHighway2050, EERA IRPWIND
Main supervisor for:
- Christian Øyn Naversen: Fundamental multi-market modelling of the Nordic power market
- Markus Löschenbrand: Utilization of hydropower in the short-term electricity market.
- Güray Kara: Techno-economic optimization for analysing consumer flexibility and related market structures
- Main supervisor for 5 project/master-students 2015-2016
- Main supervisor for 8 project/master-students 2016-2017
- Responsible for the 5-year course "TET4185- Power Markets, Resources and Environment " (2015-)
- Participating in organising of the PhD course "Power Market Theory" (2017-)
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2018) Proactive operation of electric vehicles in harmonic polluted smart distribution networks. IET Generation, Transmission & Distribution. vol. 12 (4).
- (2017) The impact of electrification on power system in Northern Europe. International Conference on the European Energy Market.
- (2017) Validation study of an approximate 2014 European power-flow model using PowerGAMA. IET Generation, Transmission & Distribution. vol. 11 (2).
- (2017) Effective Concepts for Supplying Energy to a Large Offshore Oil and Gas Area under Different Future Scenarios. Chemical Engineering Transactions. vol. 61.
- (2017) Impact of inertial response requirements on a multi area renewable network. 12th IEEE Power and Energy Society PowerTech Conference PowerTech Manchester 2017.
- (2017) Control strategies for residential battery energy storage systems coupled with PV systems. 2017 IEEE International Conference on Environment and Electrical Engineering and 2017 IEEE Industrial and Commercial Power Systems Europe (EEEIC / I & CPS Europe.
- (2017) Integration of PEV and PV in Norway Using Multi-Period ACOPF — Case Study. 12th IEEE Power and Energy Society PowerTech Conference PowerTech Manchester 2017.
- (2016) Modelling Minimum Pressure Height in Short-term Hydropower Production Planning. Energy Procedia. vol. 87.
- (2016) Hydro power flexibility for power systems with variable renewable energy sources: an IEA Task 25 collaboration. Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews: Energy and Environment. vol. 6:e220 (1).
- (2016) Analytical techniques and tools for power balancing assessments. ELECTRA. vol. April (285).
- (2016) Hydropower flexibility and transmission expansion to support integration of offshore wind. Offshore Wind Farms: Technologies, Design and Operation.
- (2015) Nordic hydropower flexibility and transmission expansion to support integration of North European wind power. Wind Energy. vol. 18 (6).
- (2015) Reserve procurement and transmission capacity reservation in the Northern European power market. International Journal of Electrical Power & Energy Systems. vol. 67.
- (2014) The Impact of Active Power Losses on the Wind Energy Exploitation of the North Sea. Energy Procedia. vol. 53.
- (2013) Frequency Quality in the Nordic Power System: Wind Variability, Hydro Power Pump Storage and Usage of HVDC Links. Energy Procedia. vol. 35.
- (2013) Transmission expansion planning in Northern Europe in 2030-Methodology and analyses. Energy Policy. vol. 61.
- (2012) Balancing Market Integration in the Northern European Continent: A 2030 Case Study. IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy. vol. 3 (4).
- (2012) Balancing market integration in the Northern European continent. Applied Energy. vol. 96.
- (2012) Hybrid Mutation Particle Swarm Optimisation method for Available Transfer Capability enhancement. International Journal of Electrical Power & Energy Systems. vol. 42 (1).
- (2010) Flow Based Activation of Reserves in the Nordic Power System. IEEE Power & Energy Society General Meeting.