Background and activities
I am working in the research group called "Electricity Markets and Energy Systems Planning" at the Department of Electric Power Engineering, NTNU. My research interests are primarily focused on the integration of renewable energy in the energy system and power system economics. My research activities include:
Power system balancing
Power market analysis
Investment planning of transmission systems, including a future North Sea Grid
Large-scale integration of renewable energy sources in Europe
Generation scheduling in hydro-thermal power systems
Flexibility operation in Distribution systems
Associate Professor at Dept. of Electric Power Engineering, NTNU (2015-)
Scientific Advisor of SINTEF Energi (2015-)
Research scientist at SINTEF Energi (2012-2015)
Dr.ing. (PhD) from Dept. of Electric Power Engineering, NTNU (2012) with the title: "Integrated Power System Balancing in Northern Europe - Models and Case Studies."
Project Leader in IntHydro
Project leader in HONOR
Currently participating in the project:
Past project involvement:
Main supervisor for:
Christian Øyn Naversen: Fundamental multi-market modelling of the Nordic power market
Sigurd Bjarghov: Consumer-centric Electricity Market Design integrating Peer-to-Peer and Flexibility Markets
Kasper Emil Thorvaldsen: Techno-economic models of energy flexible buildings in the future smart grid
Previous PhD candidates (main supervisor):
Martin Andre Hystad Håberg: Thesis title: "Activation Optimization and Congestion Management in the European Balancing Energy Market", (completed in 2019)
Güray Kara: Techno-economic optimization for analysing consumer flexibility and related market structures
Previous PhD candidates (co-supervisor):
- Markus Löschenbrand: Thesis title "Dynamic Electricity Market Games Modeling Competition under Large-Scale Storage", (completed in 2019)
- Salman Zaferanlouei: Integration of Electric Vehicles with Smart Grid (completed in 2020)
Responsible for the 5-year course "TET4185- Power Markets, Resources and Environment " (2015-)
Responsible for the specialization course "ELK-15 Hydro Power Scheduling and Miscellaneous Topics on Electricity Markets" (2018-)
Participating in organising of the PhD course "ET8208 - Power Market Theory" (2017-)
Participating in organising of the PhD course "ET8209 - Methods for Power Production Scheduling"
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2021) Developments and Challenges in Local Electricity Markets: A Comprehensive Review. IEEE Access.
- (2021) A two-level over-voltage control strategy in distribution networks with high PV penetration. International Journal of Electrical Power & Energy Systems. vol. 130.
- (2021) BATTPOWER Toolbox: Memory-Efficient and High-Performance Multi-Period AC Optimal Power Flow Solver. IEEE Transactions on Power Systems.
- (2020) A techno-economic assessment of energy efficiency in energy management of a micro grid considering green-virtual resources. Sustainable cities and society. vol. 61.
- (2020) Robust planning of distributed battery energy storage systems in flexible smart distribution networks: A comprehensive study. Renewable & Sustainable Energy Reviews. vol. 123:109739.
- (2020) Towards a Reference Architecture for Cloud Based Flexibility Services in the Electricity Domain. CIRED Conference Proceedings.
- (2020) The impact of Flow-Based Market Coupling on the Nordic region. International Conference on the European Energy Market.
- (2020) Accounting for reserve capacity activation when scheduling a hydropower dominated system. International Journal of Electrical Power & Energy Systems. vol. 119.
- (2020) Hydrothermal scheduling in the continuous-time framework. Electric power systems research. vol. 189.
- (2019) Flexibility Planning of Distributed Battery Energy Storage Systems in Smart Distribution Networks. Iranian Journal of Science and Technology - Transactions of Electrical Engineering.
- (2019) Two-stage hybrid stochastic/robust optimal coordination of distributed battery storage planning and flexible energy management in smart distribution network. Journal of Energy Storage. vol. 26.
- (2019) Impact of large-scale EV integration and fast chargers in a Norwegian LV grid. The Journal of Engineering.
- (2019) Flexibility of controllable power transformers for managing wind uncertainty using robust adjustable linearised optimal power flow. IET Renewable Power Generation. vol. 13 (2).
- (2019) Electric vehicle mobility and optimal grid reconfiguration as flexibility tools in wind integrated power systems. International Journal of Electrical Power & Energy Systems. vol. 110.
- (2019) Power Conditioning of Distribution Networks via Single-Phase Electric Vehicles Equipped. IEEE Systems Journal. vol. 13 (3).
- (2019) A Minute-To-Minute Unit Commitment Model to Analyze Generators Performance. International Conference on the European Energy Market. vol. 2019-September.
- (2018) Convex Models for Optimal Utility-Based Distributed Generation Allocation in Radial Distribution Systems. IEEE Systems Journal. vol. 12 (4).
- (2018) Optimal partitioning of smart distribution systems into supply-sufficient microgrids. IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid.
- (2018) Balancing Market Integration - Model-Based Analysis of Potential Cross-Border Reserve Exchange Between Norway and Germany. International Conference on the European Energy Market. vol. 2018-June.
- (2018) Value of prosumer house batteries: Experiences across the EU. IAEE International Conference.