Background and activities
I am conducting research within the fields of Energy Planning and Power Markets. My interests are primarily focused on the integration of renewable energy in the energy system. My research activities include:
- Power system balancing
- Power market analysis
- Investment planning of transmission systems, including a future North Sea Grid
- Large-scale integration of renewable energy sources in Europe
- Generation scheduling in hydro-thermal power systems
- Demand-side Management
- Flexibility operation in Distribution systems
- Associate Professor at Dept. of Electric Power Engineering, NTNU (2015-)
- Scientific Advisor of SINTEF Energi (2015-)
- Research scientist at SINTEF Energi (2012-2015)
- Dr.ing. (PhD) from Dept. of Electric Power Engineering, NTNU (2012) with the title: "Integrated Power System Balancing in Northern Europe - Models and Case Studies."
- Contributing to the FME research centres CINELDI , ZEN and NTRANS
- WP5 leader in the EU H2020 project INVADE
- Contributing to the research centres NOWITECH, CEDREN (See www.nowitech.no and www.cedren.no )
- Currently participating in the project:
- Past project involvement:
- FP7-EU TWENTIES, eHighway2050, EERA IRPWIND
Main supervisor for:
- Christian Øyn Naversen: Fundamental multi-market modelling of the Nordic power market
Sigurd Bjarghov: Consumer-centric Electricity Market Design integrating Peer-to-Peer and Flexibility Markets
Kasper Emil Thorvaldsen: Techno-economic models of energy flexible buildings in the future smart grid
- Markus Löschenbrand: Dynamic Electricity Market Games Modeling Competition under Large-Scale Storage, (completed in 2019)
- Güray Kara: Techno-economic optimization for analysing consumer flexibility and related market structures
Salman Zaferanlouei: Integration of Electric Vehicles with Smart Grid
Previous PhD candidates:
- Martin Andre Hystad Håberg: Thesis title: "Activation Optimization and Congestion Management in the European Balancing Energy Market", (completed in 2019)
- Main supervisor for 5 project/master-students 2015-2016
- Main supervisor for 8 project/master-students 2016-2017
- Responsible for the 5-year course "TET4185- Power Markets, Resources and Environment " (2015-)
- Participating in organising of the PhD course "Power Market Theory" (2017-)
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2020) Robust planning of distributed battery energy storage systems in flexible smart distribution networks: A comprehensive study. Renewable & Sustainable Energy Reviews. vol. 123.
- (2020) Accounting for reserve capacity activation when scheduling a hydropower dominated system. International Journal of Electrical Power & Energy Systems. vol. 119.
- (2019) Flexibility Planning of Distributed Battery Energy Storage Systems in Smart Distribution Networks. Iranian Journal of Science and Technology - Transactions of Electrical Engineering.
- (2019) Two-stage hybrid stochastic/robust optimal coordination of distributed battery storage planning and flexible energy management in smart distribution network. Journal of Energy Storage. vol. 26.
- (2019) Impact of large-scale EV integration and fast chargers in a Norwegian LV grid. The Journal of Engineering.
- (2019) Flexibility of controllable power transformers for managing wind uncertainty using robust adjustable linearised optimal power flow. IET Renewable Power Generation. vol. 13 (2).
- (2019) Electric vehicle mobility and optimal grid reconfiguration as flexibility tools in wind integrated power systems. International Journal of Electrical Power & Energy Systems. vol. 110.
- (2019) Power Conditioning of Distribution Networks via Single-Phase Electric Vehicles Equipped. IEEE Systems Journal. vol. 13 (3).
- (2019) A Minute-To-Minute Unit Commitment Model to Analyze Generators Performance. International Conference on the European Energy Market. vol. 2019-September.
- (2018) Convex Models for Optimal Utility-Based Distributed Generation Allocation in Radial Distribution Systems. IEEE Systems Journal. vol. 12 (4).
- (2018) Optimal partitioning of smart distribution systems into supply-sufficient microgrids. IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid.
- (2018) Balancing Market Integration - Model-Based Analysis of Potential Cross-Border Reserve Exchange Between Norway and Germany. International Conference on the European Energy Market. vol. 2018-June.
- (2018) Value of prosumer house batteries: Experiences across the EU. IAEE International Conference.
- (2018) Economic and environmental benefits from integrated power grid infrastructure designs in the North Sea. Journal of Physics: Conference Series. vol. 1104 (1).
- (2018) Towards a fully integrated North Sea offshore grid: An engineering‐economic assessment of a power link island. Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews: Energy and Environment. vol. 7 (4).
- (2018) Towards robust OPF solution strategy for the future AC/DC grids: Case of VSC-HVDC-connected offshore wind farms. IET Renewable Power Generation. vol. 12 (6).
- (2018) Exploring prospective benefits of electric vehicles for optimal energy conditioning in distribution networks. Energy. vol. 157.
- (2018) Proactive operation of electric vehicles in harmonic polluted smart distribution networks. IET Generation, Transmission & Distribution. vol. 12 (4).