Background and activities
I am conducting research within the fields of Energy Planning and Power Markets. My interests are especially focused towards integration of renewable energy in the energy system. My research activities include:
- Power system balancing
- Power market analysis
- Investment planning of transmission systems, including a future North Sea Grid
- Large scale integration of renewable energy sources in Europe
- Generation scheduling in hydro-thermal power systems
- Associate Professor at Dept. of Electric Power Engineering, NTNU (2015-)
- Research scientist at SINTEF Energi (2012-2015)
- Dr.ing. (PhD) from Dept. of Electric Power Engineering, NTNU (2012) with title: " Integrated Power System Balancing in Northern Europe - Models and Case Studies "
- Contributing in the research centres NOWITECH, CEDREN. See www.nowitech.no and www.cedren.no
- Participating in the SINTEF projects FP7-EU TWENTIES, eHighway2050, EERA IRPWIND, HydroBalance and NSON (North Sea Offshore Networks).
- H. Farahmand, S.M.A. Hosseini, G.L. Doorman, O.B. Fosso, "Flow Based Activation of Reserves in the Nordic Power System", IEEE PES General Meeting 2010, Minneapolis, USA, 25-29 July 2010.
K.W. Ravnaas, H. Farahmand, G.L. Doorman, "Optimal Wind Farm Bids under Different Balancing Market Arrangements", PMAPS 2010, Singapore, 14-17 June 2010.
S. Jaehnert, H. Farahmand, G.L. Doorman, "Modelling of Prices Using the Volume in the Norwegian Regulating Power Market", IEEE Bucharest PowerTech, 28 June-2 July 2009.
M. Rashidinejad, H. Farahmand, M. Fotuhi-Firuzabad, A. A. Gharaveisi, "A Hybrid Technique for ATC Enhancement Using TCSC", Journal of Electric Power Systems Research, Volume 78, Issue 1. pp. 11-20, January 2008.
M.A. Forghani, M. Seyed-Esfahani, M. Rashidinejad and H. Farahmand, "A Goal Attainment Model for Transmission Expansion Planning Using a Meta Heuristic Technique", Iranian Journal of Science & Technology, Transaction B, Engineering, Vol. 32, No. B3, pp 235-247.
H. Farahmand, M. Rashidinejad, A.A. Gharaveici, "A Combinatorial Approach of Real GA & Fuzzy to ATC Enhancement", Turkish Journal of Electrical Engineering & Computer Sciences, Vol.1, No.4, pp. 77-88, 2007.
H. Farahmand, M. Rashidinejad, G.A. Shahriary, "A New Application of Real GA to ATC Enhancement via FACTS Device Location", WSEAS Transactions on circuits and systems, Issue 9, Volume 3, Pp.1989-1994, November 2004.
H. Farahmand, M. Rashidinejad, "Implementation of GA & Fuzzy sets to allocation of TCSC to Enhance ATC transmission networks", Nasir Journal of Science & Engineering, Biannual Scientific Journal of K.N.Toosi University of Technology, Tehran, Iran, Vol.1, No.1, pp 14-24, Summer 2005.
H. Farahmand, M. Rashidinejad, M. Futuhi-Firoozabad, "Implementation of FACTS Devices for ATC Enhancement Using RPF Technique", IEEE Large Engineering systems Conference on Power Engineering, LESCOPE-04, Canada, pp.30 - 35, 28-30 July 2004.
H. Farahmand, M. Rashidinejad, A.A Gharevaici, "An Application of Hybrid Heuristic Approach for ATC Enhancement", IEEE Large Engineering systems Conference on Power Engineering, Halifax, Canada, pp. 125-130, July 2006.
H. Farahmand, M. Rashidinejad, A.A.Gharaveisi, G. A. Shahriary, "Optimal Location of UPFC for ATC Enhancement in Restructured Power Systems", IEEE Conference onPower Engineering, 2007 Large Engineering Systems, pp. 176 – 181, 10-12 Oct. 2007.
M.A. Forghani, M. Seyed-Esfahani1, M. Rashidinejad2 and H. Farahmand, "Transmission Expansion Planning using Goal Attainment & GA", IEEE Conference on Power Engineering, 2007 Large Engineering Systems, pp.84-89, 10-12 Oct. 2007.
M. Rashidinejad, H. Farahmand, M. Fotuhi Firoozabad, "Power Purchase Agreement via Multi-Objective Optimisation in Restructured Electricity Market", PSC international Conference of electricity, Tehran, Iran, November 2004.
Karami, M. Rashidinejad, A.A. Gharaveici, H. Farahmand "Voltage Security Enhancement by Optimal FACTS Location via RGA", Technichal and Phisicl Problems in Power Engineering, TPE-2006,Gazi University, Ankara, Turkey, May, 29-31, 2006.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2017) The impact of electrification on power system in Northern Europe. International Conference on the European Energy Market.
- (2017) Validation study of an approximate 2014 European power-flow model using PowerGAMA. IET Generation, Transmission & Distribution. vol. 11 (2).
- (2017) Effective Concepts for Supplying Energy to a Large Offshore Oil and Gas Area under Different Future Scenarios. Chemical Engineering Transactions. vol. 61.
- (2016) Modelling Minimum Pressure Height in Short-term Hydropower Production Planning. Energy Procedia. vol. 87.
- (2016) Hydro power flexibility for power systems with variable renewable energy sources: an IEA Task 25 collaboration. Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews: Energy and Environment. vol. 6:e220 (1).
- (2016) Analytical techniques and tools for power balancing assessments. ELECTRA. vol. April (285).
- (2015) Nordic hydropower flexibility and transmission expansion to support integration of North European wind power. Wind Energy. vol. 18 (6).
- (2015) Reserve procurement and transmission capacity reservation in the Northern European power market. International Journal of Electrical Power & Energy Systems. vol. 67.
- (2014) The Impact of Active Power Losses on the Wind Energy Exploitation of the North Sea. Energy Procedia. vol. 53.
- (2013) Frequency Quality in the Nordic Power System: Wind Variability, Hydro Power Pump Storage and Usage of HVDC Links. Energy Procedia. vol. 35.
- (2013) Transmission expansion planning in Northern Europe in 2030-Methodology and analyses. Energy Policy. vol. 61.
- (2012) Balancing Market Integration in the Northern European Continent: A 2030 Case Study. IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy. vol. 3 (4).
- (2012) Balancing market integration in the Northern European continent. Applied Energy. vol. 96.
- (2012) Hybrid Mutation Particle Swarm Optimisation method for Available Transfer Capability enhancement. International Journal of Electrical Power & Energy Systems. vol. 42 (1).
- (2010) Flow Based Activation of Reserves in the Nordic Power System. IEEE Power & Energy Society General Meeting.
Part of book/report
- (2017) Impact of inertial response requirements on a multi area renewable network. 12th IEEE Power and Energy Society PowerTech Conference PowerTech Manchester 2017.
- (2017) Control strategies for residential battery energy storage systems coupled with PV systems. 2017 IEEE International Conference on Environment and Electrical Engineering and 2017 IEEE Industrial and Commercial Power Systems Europe (EEEIC / I & CPS Europe.
- (2017) Integration of PEV and PV in Norway Using Multi-Period ACOPF — Case Study. 12th IEEE Power and Energy Society PowerTech Conference PowerTech Manchester 2017.
- (2016) Hydropower flexibility and transmission expansion to support integration of offshore wind. Offshore Wind Farms: Technologies, Design and Operation.
- (2016) Introducing System Flexibility to a Multinational Transmission Expansion Planning Model. 19th Power Systems Computation Conference PSCC 2016.