Background and activities
I am a head of the "Electricity Markets and Energy Systems Planning" (EMESP) research group at the Department of Electric Power Engineering, NTNU. I have performed research in various topics in power system economics, electricity demand flexibility, and smart grids. My research activities centre around the following aspects:
- Power market analysis and hydropower scheduling
- Power system balancing
- Local flexibility markets and flexibility operation in smart systems
I am a senior member of IEEE and an active member of the International Energy Agency (IEA) Wind Task 25. It is an international forum formed for international cooperation and knowledge sharing between experts in the field. In 2021, I was promoted to join the International Smart Grid Action Network (ISGAN) to represent Norway as an expert in Flexibility Markets in Annex 9 – Aspects of market design for power system flexibility.
I serve as an Associate Editor for IEEE Transactions on Energy Markets, Policy and Regulation.
Professor at the Dept. of Electric Power Engineering, NTNU (2022-now)
Head of EMESP research group (Sep. 2021-now)
Associate Professor at the Dept. of Electric Power Engineering, NTNU (2015-2022)
Scientific Advisor of SINTEF Energi (2015-now)
Research scientist at SINTEF Energi (2012-2015)
Dr.ing. (PhD) from the Dept. of Electric Power Engineering, NTNU (2012) with the title: "Integrated Power System Balancing in Northern Europe - Models and Case Studies."
- IntHydro, Project Leader, PhD supervisor (2020-now) - Intelligent dispatching and optimal operation of cascade hydropower plants based on big spatiotemporal data, IKTPLUSS Chinese-Norwegian Collaborative Projects on Digitalisation, funded by the Research Council of Norway (RCN). The project focuses on developing and demonstrating a new hydropower scheduling tool based on machine learning techniques. The tool optimises water resource management and multi-dispatch between hydropower and variable renewable energy sources. We established a fruitful collaboration with Hohai University, Smart Innovation Norway, and Chinese and Norwegian industry partners.
- HONOR, WP Leader, Postdoc supervisor (2019-now)- Holistic flexibility market integration of cross-sectoral energy sources, funded by ERA-Net Smart Energy Systems with support from the European Union Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme, a collaborative project with Germany, Denmark and Sweden. The project aims to develop and evaluate a trans-regional flexibility market mechanism, integrating cross-sectoral energy flexibility at a community-wide level.
- H2020 INVADE, WP Leader, NTNU coordinator, Postdoc supervisor (2017-2020) - Integrated electric vehicles and batteries to empower distributed and centralised storage in distribution grids, H2020 project, EU project funded by the European Commission. The project focuses on developing a flexibility management system using batteries that supports the distribution grid and electricity market while coping with grid limitations, uncertainty and variability with high penetration of renewable energy, electric vehicles and an increased number of diverse smart grid actors.
- PRIBAS, Project partner & Scientific advisor, NTNU coordinator, PhD supervisor (2017-2021) - Pricing balancing services in the future Nordic power market, project partner and scientific advisor, Knowledge-building Project for Industry (KSP) project funded by RCN. The primary objective of this project was to design, develop and verify a modelling concept able to compute marginal prices for all physical electricity products in the Nordic power market, including power and different types of reserve capacity and reserve power.
- FINE, Project partner, NTNU coordinator, PhD supervisor (2020-now) - Flexible integration of local energy communities into the Norwegian electricity distribution system KSP project funded by RCN. The project focuses on determining the opportunities and challenges in developing Local Energy Communities (LECs) for the Norwegian power system and investigating the implications of integrating LECS to the DSOs operational decisions.
- DigEco, Project partner & Scientific Committee, PhD supervisor (2018-now) - Digital Economy, an internal project funded by NTNU's Digital Transformation Initiative. The project promotes the capabilities of digital technologies to support disruptive changes in health, energy and finance. In the energy sector, the focus is on promoting consumers/prosumers access to the electricity market (consumer-centric electricity market design).
- PowerDig, Project partner, Postdoc supervisor (2021-now) - Digitalisation of short-term resource allocation in power markets (2021-now), KSP project funded by RCN. The project aims to explore and define a new market design, ensuring optimal short-run allocation of energy resources based on digitalisation capabilities.
Ocean Grid, Project partner & Scientific Committee, PhD supervisor (2022-now), Green Platform funded by RCN. The overall objective for the project is to develop new technology, knowledge and solutions to enable the profitable development of offshore wind – both bottom-fixed and floating – in Norway.
I contributed to developing the Norwegian Centres for Environment-friendly Energy Research (FME). The objective of these centres is to carry out long-term research targeted towards renewable energy, energy efficiency, and social science aspects of energy research.
- FME CINELDI- Centre for Intelligent Electricity Distribution (2016-now). FME Centre co-funded by RCN. I am a Task Leader of Task 5.4: value of flexibility within WP5: Flexible resources in the power system, and supervisor of a PhD candidate funded jointly by FME CINELDI and FME ZEN.
- FME ZEN-Zero Emission Neighbourhoods. FME Centre co-funded by RCN (2016-now). I am the supervisor of a PhD candidate funded jointly by FME CINELDI and FME ZEN.
- FME NTRANS- Norwegian Centre for Energy Transition Strategies (2019-now)- FME Centre co-funded by RCN (2016-now). I am the Task leader in Research Area 3: The future energy market and supervisor of a PhD candidate.
During my career at SINTEF Energy Research, I was involved in multiple EU projects listed below:
- EU FP7 TWENTIES- Transmission system operation with a large penetration of wind and other renewable electricity sources in electricity networks using innovative tools and integrated energy solutions, funded by the European Commission.
- EU-IEE IRPWIND-Integrated Research Programme on Wind Energy, funded by the European Commission and initiated as a part of the EERA joint programme on Wind Energy.
- EU FP7 eHighway2050- Modular Development Plan of the Pan-European Transmission System 2050, funded by the European Commission.
Main supervisor for:
Sigurd Bjarghov: Consumer-centric Electricity Market Design integrating Peer-to-Peer and Flexibility Markets
Kasper Emil Thorvaldsen: Techno-economic models of energy flexible buildings in the future smart grid
Kjersti Berg: Integration of Local Energy Communities into the Norwegian Electricity Distribution System
Mari Haugen: Advanced modelling techniques for power market with a large share of hydropower
Jinghao Wang: A New Hydropower Scheduling Tool Based on Machine Learning Techniques
Luke Whittington: Short-term Energy System Integration in Neighbourhoods, Transport and Industry - Effects on Long-term System Design
Previous PhD candidates (main supervisor):
Martin Andre Hystad Håberg: Thesis title: "Activation Optimization and Congestion Management in the European Balancing Energy Market", (completed in 2019)
Christian Øyn Naversen: Thesis title: "Modelling Approaches for Hydro-Dominated System Balancing" (completed in 2021)
Previous PhD candidates (co-supervisor):
- Markus Löschenbrand: Thesis title "Dynamic Electricity Market Games Modeling Competition under Large-Scale Storage", (completed in 2019)
- Salman Zaferanlouei: Thesis title "Integration of Electric Vehicles into Power Distribution Systems---The Norwegian Case Study; Using High-Performance Multi-Period AC Optimal Power Flow Solver" (completed in 2020)
Güray Kara: Thesis title "Stochastic programming in analyses of flexibility in power systems and markets" (completed in 2022)
I had the privilege of mentoring two Postdoctoral researchers who were involved in the H2020 INVADE project:
- Dr Venkatachalam Lakshmanan, who is now a Research Scientist at SINTEF Energy Research, Trondheim, Norway
- Dr Jamshid Aghaei, who is now a Professor at LUT School of Energy Systems, Lappeenranta–Lahti University of Technology (LUT), Lappeenranta, Finland
I am currently mentoring Dr Dmytro Ivanko, a Postdoc within the ERA-Net HONOR project.
Responsible for the 5-year course "TET4185- Power Markets, Resources and Environment " (2015-)
Responsible for the 5-year course "TET4565 - Electricity Markets and Energy System Planning, Specialisation Course" (2022-)
Responsible for the specialisation course "ELK-15 Hydro Power Scheduling and Miscellaneous Topics on Electricity Markets" (2018-2021)
Participating in organising of the PhD course "ET8208 - Power Market Theory" (2017-)
Participating in organising the PhD course "ET8209 - Methods for Power Production Scheduling." (2020-)
Participating in organising in continuing education in technology course (EVU): ET6205-The distribution grid of the future (2022)
- TET4565 - Electricity Markets and Energy System Planning, Specialisation Course
- ET8208 - Power Market Theory
- TET4185 - Power Markets, Resources and Environment
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2022) Capacity subscription grid tariff efficiency and the impact of uncertainty on the subscribed level. Energy Policy. vol. 165.
- (2022) Stochastic local flexibility market design, bidding, and dispatch for distribution grid operations. Energy. vol. 253.
- (2022) Characterizing flexibility in power markets and systems. Utilities Policy. vol. 75.
- (2022) Continuous Hydrothermal Flexibility Coordination Under Wind Power Uncertainty. IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy.
- (2022) Long-term Value of Flexibility from Flexible Assets in Building Operation. International Journal of Electrical Power & Energy Systems. vol. 138.
- (2022) BATTPOWER application: Large-scale integration of EVs in an active distribution grid – A Norwegian case study. Electric power systems research. vol. 209.
- (2021) Battery Degradation-Aware Congestion Management in Local Flexibility Markets. 2021 IEEE Madrid PowerTech.
- (2021) Battery Degradation-Aware Congestion Management in Local Flexibility Markets. 2021 IEEE Madrid PowerTech . IEEE Power and Energy Society PowerTech Conference; Madrid. 2021-06-28 - 2021-07-02.
- (2021) Developments and Challenges in Local Electricity Markets: A Comprehensive Review. IEEE Access. vol. 9.
- (2021) An Optimal Flexible Partitioning of Smart Distribution System Considering Electrical and Gas Infrastructure. 2021 IEEE Madrid PowerTech . IEEE Power and Energy Society PowerTech Conference; Madrid. 2021-06-28 - 2021-07-02.
- (2021) A two-level over-voltage control strategy in distribution networks with high PV penetration. International Journal of Electrical Power & Energy Systems. vol. 130.
- (2021) Specification of flexibility need and services (under TSO-DSO coordination). 2021.
- (2021) Evaluating the optimal portfolio of VRE capacity to be integrated into the power system: A case study of Zambia. 20th International Workshop on Large-Scale Integration of Wind Power into Power Systems as well as on Transmission Networks for Offshore Wind Power Plants (WIW 2021) ; 2021-09-27 - 2021-10-01.
- (2021) Assessing the benefits of exchanging spinning reserve capacity within the hydro-Dominated nordic market. Electric power systems research. vol. 199.
- (2021) The impact of uncertainty and time structure on optimal flexibility scheduling in active distribution networks. IEEE Access. vol. 9.
- (2021) Hybrid AC/DC Optimal Power Flow Modelling Approach for Coordination in Flexibility Market. 2021 International Conference on Smart Energy Systems and Technologies - SEST.
- (2021) Optimal Utilisation of Grid Capacity for Connection of New Renewable Power Plants in Norway. 2021 International Conference on Smart Energy Systems and Technologies - SEST.
- (2021) A stochastic operational planning model for a zero emission building with emission compensation. Applied Energy. vol. 302.
- (2021) BATTPOWER Toolbox: Memory-Efficient and High-Performance Multi-Period AC Optimal Power Flow Solver. IEEE Transactions on Power Systems. vol. 36 (5).
- (2020) A techno-economic assessment of energy efficiency in energy management of a micro grid considering green-virtual resources. Sustainable Cities and Society (SCS). vol. 61.
- (2020) Robust planning of distributed battery energy storage systems in flexible smart distribution networks: A comprehensive study. Renewable & Sustainable Energy Reviews. vol. 123:109739.
- (2020) Towards a Reference Architecture for Cloud Based Flexibility Services in the Electricity Domain. CIRED Conference Proceedings.
- (2020) The impact of Flow-Based Market Coupling on the Nordic region. International Conference on the European Energy Market.
- (2020) On the Importance of Detailed Thermal Modeling for Price Forecasting in Hydro-Thermal Power Systems. 2019 IEEE Electrical Power and Energy Conference - EPEC 2019.
- (2020) Accounting for reserve capacity activation when scheduling a hydropower dominated system. International Journal of Electrical Power & Energy Systems. vol. 119.
- (2020) Hydrothermal scheduling in the continuous-time framework. Electric power systems research. vol. 189.
- (2020) Representing Long-term Impact of Residential Building Energy Management using Stochastic Dynamic Programming. 2020 International Conference on Probabilistic Methods Applied to Power Systems (PMAPS) ; 2020-08-18 - 2020-08-21.
- (2020) Representing Long-term Impact of Residential Building Energy Management using Stochastic Dynamic Programming. 2020 International Conference on Probabilistic Methods Applied to Power Systems - PMAPS.
- (2020) Continuous-time scheduling of a hydrothermal system with integration of offshore wind power. 2020 17th International Conference on the European Energy Market - EEM.
- (2019) Flexibility Planning of Distributed Battery Energy Storage Systems in Smart Distribution Networks. Iranian Journal of Science and Technology - Transactions of Electrical Engineering.
- (2019) Reducing Neighborhood Peak Loads with implicit Peer-to-Peer energy trading under Subscribed Capacity tariffs. 2019 International Conference on Smart Energy Systems and Technologies - SEST.
- (2019) Two-stage hybrid stochastic/robust optimal coordination of distributed battery storage planning and flexible energy management in smart distribution network. Journal of Energy Storage. vol. 26.
- (2019) Consumer and prosumer cooperation may equal reduced electricity prices.
- (2019) Impact of large-scale EV integration and fast chargers in a Norwegian LV grid. The Journal of Engineering.
- (2019) Flexibility of controllable power transformers for managing wind uncertainty using robust adjustable linearised optimal power flow. IET Renewable Power Generation. vol. 13 (2).
- (2019) Electric vehicle mobility and optimal grid reconfiguration as flexibility tools in wind integrated power systems. International Journal of Electrical Power & Energy Systems. vol. 110.
- (2019) Power Conditioning of Distribution Networks via Single-Phase Electric Vehicles Equipped. IEEE Systems Journal. vol. 13 (3).
- (2019) Optimal battery systems designs for Distribution Grids: What size and location to invest in?. 2019 International Conference on Smart Energy Systems and Technologies - SEST.
- (2019) A Minute-To-Minute Unit Commitment Model to Analyze Generators Performance. International Conference on the European Energy Market. vol. 2019-September.
- (2018) Convex Models for Optimal Utility-Based Distributed Generation Allocation in Radial Distribution Systems. IEEE Systems Journal. vol. 12 (4).
- (2018) Optimal partitioning of smart distribution systems into supply-sufficient microgrids. IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid.
- (2018) Balancing Market Integration - Model-Based Analysis of Potential Cross-Border Reserve Exchange Between Norway and Germany. International Conference on the European Energy Market. vol. 2018-June.
- (2018) Value of prosumer house batteries: Experiences across the EU. IAEE International Conference.
- (2018) Value of prosumer House batteries: Experiences across the EU. IAEE International Conference . IAEE; Groningen. 2018-06-10 - 2018-08-13.
- (2018) On the Scalability of Blockchain-Supported Local Energy Markets. 2018 International Conference on Smart Energy Systems and Technologies - SEST.
- (2018) Multi-Market Price Forecasting in Hydro-Thermal Power Systems. 2018 15th International Conference on the European Energy Market - EEM.
- (2018) Economic and environmental benefits from integrated power grid infrastructure designs in the North Sea. Journal of Physics: Conference Series (JPCS). vol. 1104 (1).
- (2018) Towards a fully integrated North Sea Offshore Grid: An engineering-economic assessment of a Power Link Island. EERA DeepWind'19 . SINTEF Energi AS; Trondheim. 2018-01-16 - 2018-01-18.
- (2018) Towards a fully integrated North Sea offshore grid: An engineering‐economic assessment of a power link island. Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews: Energy and Environment. vol. 7 (4).
- (2018) Towards robust OPF solution strategy for the future AC/DC grids: Case of VSC-HVDC-connected offshore wind farms. IET Renewable Power Generation. vol. 12 (6).
- (2018) Exploring prospective benefits of electric vehicles for optimal energy conditioning in distribution networks. Energy. vol. 157.
- (2018) Proactive operation of electric vehicles in harmonic polluted smart distribution networks. IET Generation, Transmission & Distribution. vol. 12 (4).
- (2018) Comparison of Cost Allocation Strategies among Prosumers and Consumers in a Cooperative Game. 2018 International Conference on Smart Energy Systems and Technologies - SEST.
- (2018) Computational Efficiency Assessment of Multi-Period AC Optimal Power Flow including Energy Storage Systems. 2018 International Conference on Smart Energy Systems and Technologies - SEST.
- (2017) Challenges in distribution grid With high penetration of renewables. 2017.
- (2017) The impact of electrification on power system in Northern Europe. International Conference on the European Energy Market.
- (2017) Methods for assessing the value of flexibility in distribution grids. 2017.
- (2017) Validation study of an approximate 2014 European power-flow model using PowerGAMA. IET Generation, Transmission & Distribution. vol. 11 (2).
- (2017) Impact of inertial response requirements on a multi area renewable network. 12th IEEE Power and Energy Society PowerTech Conference PowerTech Manchester 2017.
- (2017) Simplified Battery operation and Control algorithm. 2017.
- (2017) Control strategies for residential battery energy storage systems coupled with PV systems. 2017 IEEE International Conference on Environment and Electrical Engineering and 2017 IEEE Industrial and Commercial Power Systems Europe (EEEIC / I & CPS Europe.
- (2017) Effective Concepts for Supplying Energy to a Large Offshore Oil and Gas Area under Different Future Scenarios. Chemical Engineering Transactions. vol. 61.
- (2017) Effective Concepts for Supplying Energy to a Large Offshore Oil and Gas Area under Different Future Scenarios. PRES 17 - 20th Conference Process Integration, Modelling and Optimisation for Energy Saving and Pollution Reduction ; Tianjin. 2017-08-21 - 2017-08-24.
- (2017) Integration of PEV and PV in Norway Using Multi-Period ACOPF — Case Study. 12th IEEE Power and Energy Society PowerTech Conference PowerTech Manchester 2017.
- (2016) Hydropower flexibility and transmission expansion to support integration of offshore wind. Offshore Wind Farms: Technologies, Design and Operation.
- (2016) Modelling Minimum Pressure Height in Short-term Hydropower Production Planning. Energy Procedia. vol. 87.
- (2016) Analyzing large-scale renewable energy integration and energy storage in Morocco using a flow-based market model. 13th International Conference on the European Energy Market (EEM) ; 2016-06-06 - 2016-06-09.
- (2016) Design and operation of power systems with large amounts of wind power. Final summary report, IEA WIND Task 25, Phase three 2012-2014. 2016.
- (2016) Hydro power flexibility for power systems with variable renewable energy sources: an IEA Task 25 collaboration. Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews: Energy and Environment. vol. 6:e220 (1).
- (2016) Introducing System Flexibility to a Multinational Transmission Expansion Planning Model. 19th Power Systems Computation Conference PSCC 2016.
- (2016) Analyzing large-scale renewable energy integration and energy storage in Morocco using a flow-based market model. 2016 13th International Conference on the European Energy Market : EEM2016.
- (2016) Analytical techniques and tools for power balancing assessments. Cigre Science & Engineering. vol. April (285).
- (2016) Analytical Techniques and tools for power balancing assessments. CIGRE (International Council on Large Electric Systems). 2016. ISBN 978-2-85873-351-4. CIGRE Technical Brochure (648).
- (2016) Optimal Scheduling of Plug-in Electric Vehicles in Distribution Systems Including PV, Wind and Hydropower Generation. 6th Solar Integration Workshop International Workshop on Integration of Solar Power into Power System.
- (2015) Nordic hydropower flexibility and transmission expansion to support integration of North European wind power. Wind Energy. vol. 18 (6).
- (2015) Balancing Energy Market Integration Considering Grid Constraints. PowerTech Eindhoven 2015.
- (2015) Reserve procurement and transmission capacity reservation in the Northern European power market. International Journal of Electrical Power & Energy Systems. vol. 67.
- (2015) Europe's future secure and sustainable electricity infrastructure : e-Highway2050 project results. 2015.
- (2014) The Impact of Active Power Losses on the Wind Energy Exploitation of the North Sea. Energy Procedia. vol. 53.
- (2013) TWENTIES Task 16.3. Nordic hydro power generation flexibility and transmission capacity expansion to support North European wind power: 2020 and 2030 case studies. 2013.
- (2013) Frequency Quality in the Nordic system: Offshore Wind variability, Hydro Power Pump Storage and usage of HVDC Links. DeepWind'2013 . SINTEF / NTNU; Trondheim. 2013-01-24 - 2013-01-25.
- (2013) Frequency Quality in the Nordic Power System: Wind Variability, Hydro Power Pump Storage and Usage of HVDC Links. Energy Procedia. vol. 35.
- (2013) Benefits of cross-border reserve procurement based on pre-allocation of transmission capacity. 2013 IEEE Grenoble PowerTech.
- (2013) Bidding in the Frequency Restoration Reserves (FRR) Market for a Hydropower Unit. 2013 4th IEEE PES Innovative Smart Grid Technologies Europe (ISGT Europe, Lyngby, 6-9 Oct. 2013.
- (2013) Transmission expansion planning in Northern Europe in 2030-Methodology and analyses. Energy Policy. vol. 61.
- (2012) Balancing Market Integration in the Northern European Continent: A 2030 Case Study. IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy. vol. 3 (4).
- (2012) Integrated Power System Balancing in Northern Europe. 2012. ISBN 9788247135877. Doktoravhandlinger ved NTNU (2012:150).
- (2012) Balancing market integration in the Northern European continent. Applied Energy. vol. 96.
- (2012) Hybrid Mutation Particle Swarm Optimisation method for Available Transfer Capability enhancement. International Journal of Electrical Power & Energy Systems. vol. 42 (1).
- (2012) Impact of Reserve Market Integration on the Value of the North Sea Offshore Grid Alternatives. 2012 9th International Conference on the European Energy Market (EEM 2012).
- (2011) Modelling of Balancing Market Integration in the Northern European Continent. Proceeding - 17th Power Systems Computations Conference PSCC 2011.
- (2011) Impact of system power losses on the value of an offshore grid for North Sea offshore wind. PowerTech 2011 Proceedings.
- (2011) Alternative schemes for exchange of balancing resources between separate synchronous systems in Northern Europe. 2011. ISBN 978-82-594-3482-1. SINTEF Energi. Rapport (TR A7102).
- (2010) Flow Based Activation of Reserves in the Nordic Power System. IEEE Power & Energy Society General Meeting.
- (2010) Balance Management in Multinational Power Markets. ENERDAY, 5th Conference on Energy and Technology . Dresden University of Technology; Dresden. 2010-04-16 - 2010-04-16.
- (2010) Flow Based Activation of Reserves in the Nordic Power System. IEEE PES General Meeting 2010 . IEEE PES General Meeting 2010; Minneapolis. 2010-07-25 - 2010-07-29.
- (2010) Optimal Wind Farm Bids under Different Balancing Market Arrangements. IEEE 11th International Conference on Probabilistic Methods Applied to Power Systems (PMAPS) 2010.
- (2009) Modelling Prices using the volume in the norwegian regulating power market. IEEE PowerTech Conference 2009 ; Bucharest. 2009-06-27 - 2009-07-01.
- (2009) Modelling of prices using the volume in the Norwegian regulating power market. 2009 IEEE Bucharest PowerTech.