Strategic Research Areas
Research Excellence includes EU funded projects, private funding, national initiatives and NTNU's own initiatives.
NTNU has several centres with different dependencies. Here are the major centres.
Many NTNU laboratories are national resources, and most are used in teaching as well as research.
Faculties and departments
Find research of interest at the faculties and departments.
NTNU in Brussels
Our office in Brussels works to promote and strengthen the NTNU's image and participation in EU and related initiatives. It represents «the door to Europe» for NTNU employees and «the door to NTNU» for organizations that want to start collaborations and create synergies with us.
NTNU in Tokyo
NTNU and the University of Bergen (UiB) have a common adviser at Innovation Norway's Tokyo office in an effort to increase research and education partnerships with Japanese academic environments and institutions.
All the cities
NTNU offers a wide range of doctoral programmes. Candidates must be admitted to a specific PhD programme in order to earn a degree from NTNU, and must undertake both research and coursework. The Graduate Researcher Schools complements the regular PhD Programmes. PhD positions are announced in NTNU's job listing.
Most prolific partnership
THE – Times Higher Education World University Rankings: NTNU is number one of the universities producing the highest proportion of the research in collaboration with a single partner from industry: SINTEF. The link accounts for 9.1 per cent of NTNU's total research output.
- Universities with the biggest corporate links (THE, 9 March 2017)
- Top marks to NTNU and SINTEF for cooperative research (Geminiresearchnews.com, 9 March 2017)
Some facts and figures
- Two Nobel laureates in Medicine. Also two students at former NTH are Nobel laureates in Chemistry and Physics.
- 120 large and small laboratories from Nano Lab to Language Lab
- 366 doctoral dissertations in 2016 (33,88 per cent are women)
- 6700 person-years, of which 4053 are in academic or scientific positions and 39 per cent are women