Trondheim: Courses for exchange students
Courses for exchange students
Courses for exchange students
NTNU has campuses in Trondheim, Gjøvik and Ålesund. Note that you can only select courses in one city.
All students must fulfill the recommended/required previous knowledge for the courses that they wish to take. Please read the course descriptions carefully to make sure that you fulfill the requirements. Students not fulfilling the requirements may be denied admission. Second degree level courses are usually only available to master’s level students.
You can easily find courses taught in English by using the Online course catalog. Some study areas also provide lists over the courses they offer in English.
Almost all of NTNU's courses are listed in the Online course catalog, remember to check the boxes "taught in English" and "Trondheim"
Below you can find additional information about studying at some the different faculties of NTNU. Please note that not all faculties/departments are represented here. Please see the online course catalogue for an extensive overview of courses from all faculties.
Norwegian language courses
Economics and Management
Humanities and Music Studies
Information technology, electrical engineering and mathematics studies
Medical and Health Sciences
Social and Educational Sciences
Courses in English offered at NTNU in Gjøvik:
You can find courses taught in English by the Online course catalogue. Remember to check the boxes "taught in English" and "Gjøvik" as well as the correct semester (spring/autumn). Note that some courses have limited capacity/prerequisite knowledge.
Almost all of NTNU's courses are listed in the online course catalog, remember to check the boxes «taught in English» and «Gjøvik».
- Computer Science
- Manufacturing and Civil Engineering
- Norwegian Culture and Language
- Bachelor thesis/projects
Degree programmes taught in English at NTNU in Gjøvik are listed below. Please check the programme pages for more information about the courses:
- MSc Applied Computer Science
- MSc Information Security
- MSc Interaction Design
- MSc Sustainable Manufacturing
- IMT 4461 Project work for exchange master's students (30 ECTS credits)
- IDIG4001 Project work for exchange master's students (22,5 ECTS credits)
Note that for IMT4461, IDIG4001, as well as for bachelor thesis and project work, you will need to contact and make an appointment with a supervisor at NTNU in Gjøvik prior to application.
The first and third semesters are autumn semesters (A); the second and fourth semesters are spring semesters (S). Some courses are only available one semester each year.
Courses in English offered at NTNU in Ålesund:
Bachelor level courses
- ICT and Automation
- Business and Marketing
- Life Sciences
- Norwegian language course for exchange students
Master level courses
Degree programmes taught in English at NTNU Ålesund are listed below. Please check the programme pages for more information about the courses:
Almost all of NTNU's courses can be found using the online course catalogue. Below are some tips to guide you to select courses:
Please note that you will not get double credits for courses with similar and overlapping contents. You can see which courses this applies to under "credit reductions" on the courses' web page. Example: TIØ4145 and TIØ4146 have overlapping contents and the student will only receive credits from one of the courses, even if taking both.
- Check the box 'taught in English' and select the correct city under "Teaching location".
- Courses listed for the autumn semester will normally be available again the following autumn semester.
- Bachelor courses are normally called "Foundation", "Intermediate" or "Third-year" courses, Master's level courses are called "Second degree level" and PhD courses are called "Doctoral degree level". Some variations of these names may occur.
- Are you eligible? Check if the course requires previous knowledge, the language of instruction, study level, ect.
- You can choose courses at different faculties/institutes.
- If a course is project based it can normally be supervised in English, even though the language of instruction is Norwegian.
- You are not guaranteed entry to the courses you select. It is the faculty/department that have the final say in whether you get admission to a course.
Changing your courses
If the course you list is not offered or you are not eligible for admission, you will get the opportunity to pick new courses after arrival at NTNU. Also, if you change your mind about the courses you would like to take; it is usually not a problem to change your courses after arrival.