Background and activities
I am heading the research group "Electricity Markets and Energy Systems Planning" at the Department of Electric Power Systems at NTNU. My interests are especially focused towards integration of renewable energy in the energy system. My research activities includes:
- Optimization of energy storage and distributed flexible resources in connection with renewables (investment and operation)
- Download my first Matlab-based simulation model here : Windhydtools
- The use of hydro power as a balancing asset
- Go to the HYDROBALANCE homepage
- Investment planning of grids, including a future North Sea Grid
- Start here
- Large scale integration of renewable energy sources in Europe
- Professor at Dept. of Electric Power Engineering, NTNU (2014-)
- Scientific Advisor for SINTEF Energi (2014-)
- Research Director at SINTEF Energi, Dept. of Energy Systems (2011-2014)
- Research Manager at SINTEF Energi, the System Dynamics team (2009-2011)
- Research scientist at SINTEF Energi (2006-2009)
- Post.doc. at Inst. for elkraftteknikk, NTNU (2004-2006)
- Dr.ing. (PhD) from Dept. of Electric Power Engineering, NTNU (2004) with title: "Distributed energy systems with wind power and energy storage"
- Siv.ing. (MSc) from Technical Physics, NTNU (1998)
- Leading the work package on Flexible Resources" in the FME research center CINELDI
- Participating in the FME research centres ZEN and HydroCen.
- Leading NTNU research in the EU H2020 project INVADE
- Participating in EERA Joint Programme on Smart Grids and EERA Joint Programme on Wind Energy
- Currently participating in the projects
- PRIBAS - Pricing Balancing Services in the Future Nordic Power Market
- NTNU Energy Transition Initiative
- Modelling Distributed Resources in Smart Distribution Grid
- EV4EUR - Environmental assessment of electric vehicle deployment pathways for Europe
- MultiSharm - Day-Ahead Bidding with Multiple Short-Term Markets
- HydroBalance - Large-scale balancing and energy storage from Norwegian hydropower
- NSON (North Sea Offshore Networks)
- Integrating Balancing Markets in Hydro Power Scheduling
- MAD - Models for Aggregation and Disaggregation
- SOVN - A new fundamental market model including individual water values and grid constraints
- InGrid - Integration of Power Transmission Grids
- OADE - Open and Autonomous Digital Ecosystems
- HYPER - Liquefied hydrogen production from surplus wind/hydro power and fossil sources in Norway
- Past project involvment:
Main Supervisor for:
- Espen Flo Bødal: Production of Hydrogen from Hydro- and Wind Power in Transmission Constrained Areas
- Hans Ole Riddervold: Automated short-term production planning for hydro- and wind power
- Martin Kristiansen: Optimization of onshore- and offshore power grid infrastructures
- Salman Zaferanlouei: Integration of Electric Vehicles with Smart Grid
- Martin Hjelmeland: Long-Term Scheduling of Hydro Power in Multiple Markets
- Markus Löschenbrand: Utilization of hydro power in short-term electricity markets
- Dimitri Pinel: Optimal investment in the energy system in ZEN
- Stian Backe: Transition Pathways Towards Zero Emission Neighbourshoods (Industrial Economy, NTNU)
- Andreas Kleiven: Optimal operation and valuation of hydropower plants (Industrial Economy, NTNU)
- Martin Håberg: Exchange of Standard Products for Balancing in the European POwer Market (Electric Power Eng., NTNU and Statnett)
- Philipp Härtel: Implications of alternative flexibility sources for the cost-benefit allocation in offshore grids (Univ. of Kassel and Fraunhofer IWES)
- Antonio Zecchino: Electric vehicles in the Nordic countries: Control strategies for coordinated grid services (DTU/NTNU collaboration)
Previous PhD candidates:
- Ingeborg Graabak (main supervisor): Balancing of wind and solar production in Northern Europe with Norwegian hydropower (Electric Power Eng, NTNU)
- Stig Ødegaard Ottesen (co-superviosr): Techno Economic Models in Smart Grids (Industrial Economy, NTNU)
- Rubén Montañés (co-supervisor): Dynamic process simulation of decarbonized power generation (Energy and Process Eng., NTNU)
- Christopher Johan Greiner (co-supervisor): Sizing and Operation of Wind-Hydrogen Energy Systems (Electric Power Eng., NTNU)
- Main supervios for 10 project/master-students 2017-2018
- Main supervisor for 8 project/master-students 2016-2017
- Main supervisor for 14 project/master-students 2015-2016
- Main supervisor for 10 project/master-students 2014-2015
- Responsible for the 3-year course "Energy Planning and Operation" (2014-)
- Responsible for the the PhD course "Power Market Theory" (2014-)
- Lecturer in the 1-year course "Energy and the Environment" 2014-2017
- Lecturer in the 4-year course "Energy Management in Bulidings" 2014-2017
- Responsible for the EVU-course "Production planning in hydro-based power systems" (2014)
Media and dissemination (mainly in Norwegian)
Artikkel i gemini: Batterier blir en del av strømnettet, 25.06.2018
- Intervju i Dagnes Næringsliv: Merkel åpner for dieselforbud i Tyskland, 23.08.2017
- Harby, Atle; Korpås, Magnus. Kabler gir vinn-vinn. Innlegg i Dagens Næringsliv, 21.08.2017
Doorman, Gerard; Korpås, Magnus. Dyr Strøm? Innlegg i Dagens Næringsliv, 30.01.2017
Intervju i NRK Trøndelag: Vindmøller gir billigere strøm, 24. feb 2016
Killingtveit, Ånund; Harby, Atle; Korpås, Magnus. Norge som leverandør av balansekraft. Produksjonsteknisk konferanse 2016 (PTK2016); 2016-03-07 - 2016-03-09
Korpås, Magnus. Nye trender skaper utfordringer for dagens beslutningsstøttesystemer. Smart Energy 2015; 2015-01-29 - 2015-01-30
Korpås, Magnus; Aam, Sverre; Tomasgard, Asgeir. Norges voksende rolle i Europas energisystem. I: Energi, teknologi og klima - utfordringer og handlingsrom. Museumsforlaget AS 2015 ISBN 9788283050240. s. 169-182
Korpås, Magnus; Vereide, Kaspar; Gogstad, Peter Joachim. Vannkraft - Ren energi som verdens batteri. EFIKS 2015; 2015-10-13 - 2015-10-14
Kronikk i Aftenposten 9. nov 2015: Norge må bli Europas batteri
Kronikk i Dagens Næringsliv 11. juni 2015: Elbiler kan trigge vindsatsing
Kronikk i Adresseavisen 3. juni 2015: Viktig rolle i et fornybart Europa
Repotasje i Dagens Næringsliv 28.oktober 2014: "Vil doble norsk vannkraft"
Debattinnlegg i Dagens Næringsliv 30. mai 2014: "Kampen om virkemidlene"
Presentasjon ved Kungliga Ingerniörvetenskapsakademien, Stockholm 28. mai 2014 "Market Aspects of Balancing"
Deltager i NRK P2 EKKO innslag 21. mai 2014: "Er el-bilen grønn?"
Foredrag for Stortingets energi- og miljøkomite 10. mars 2014 "Elektrifisering og bruk av offshore vind"
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2019) Equilibrium assessment of storage technologies in a power market with capacity remuneration. Sustainable Energy Technologies and Assessments. vol. 31.
- (2019) Value of hydro power flexibility for hydrogen production in constrained transmission grids. International journal of hydrogen energy.
- (2019) Medium-Term hydropower scheduling with variable head under inflow, energy and reserve capacity price uncertainty. Energies. vol. 12 (1).
- (2019) Long-term electricity load forecasting: Current and future trends. Utilities Policy. vol. 58.
- (2019) Multiple Nash Equilibria in Electricity Markets with price-making Hydrothermal Producers. IEEE Transactions on Power Systems. vol. 34 (1).
- (2019) Flexibility of controllable power transformers for managing wind uncertainty using robust adjustable linearised optimal power flow. IET Renewable Power Generation. vol. 13 (2).
- (2019) Electric vehicle mobility and optimal grid reconfiguration as flexibility tools in wind integrated power systems. International Journal of Electrical Power & Energy Systems. vol. 110.
- (2019) An Integrated Assessment of the Environmental and Economic Impact of Offshore Oil Platform Electrification. Energies. vol. 12.
- (2019) Energy Storage Scheduling in Distribution Systems Considering Wind and Photovoltaic Generation Uncertainties. Energies. vol. 12 (7).
- (2018) Convex Models for Optimal Utility-Based Distributed Generation Allocation in Radial Distribution Systems. IEEE Systems Journal. vol. 12 (4).
- (2018) Optimal partitioning of smart distribution systems into supply-sufficient microgrids. IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid.
- (2018) Value of prosumer house batteries: Experiences across the EU. IAEE International Conference.
- (2018) Balancing future variable wind and solar power production in Central West Europe with Norwegian hydropower Energy. Energy. vol. 168.
- (2018) Impact of modelling details on the generation function for a Norwegian hydropower producer. Journal of Physics, Conference Series. vol. 1042:012010.
- (2018) Economic and environmental benefits from integrated power grid infrastructure designs in the North Sea. Journal of Physics, Conference Series. vol. 1104 (1).
- (2018) Towards a fully integrated North Sea offshore grid: An engineering‐economic assessment of a power link island. Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews: Energy and Environment. vol. 7 (4).
- (2018) A mechanism for allocating benefits and costs from transmission interconnections under cooperation: A case study of the North Sea offshore grid. Energy Journal. vol. 39 (6).
- (2018) Towards robust OPF solution strategy for the future AC/DC grids: Case of VSC-HVDC-connected offshore wind farms. IET Renewable Power Generation. vol. 12 (6).
- (2018) Assessing incentives for multinational cooperation towards a North Sea Offshore Grid using allocation methods from coalitional game theory. IAEE International Conference.
- (2018) Exploring prospective benefits of electric vehicles for optimal energy conditioning in distribution networks. Energy. vol. 157.