Background and activities
I am heading the research group "Electricity Markets and Energy Systems Planning" at the Department of Electric Power Systems at NTNU. My interests are especially focused towards integration of renewable energy in the energy system. My research activities includes:
- Market design for power markets with variable renewable energy sources and storage
- Optimization of energy storage and distributed flexible resources in connection with renewables (investment and operation)
- Download my first Matlab-based simulation model here (still working!): Windhydtools
- The use of hydro power as a balancing asset
- Go to the HYDROBALANCE homepage
- Investment planning of grids, including a future North Sea Grid
- Start here
- Large scale integration of renewable energy sources in Europe
- Professor at Dept. of Electric Power Engineering, NTNU (2014-)
- Visiting Scholar at MIT Laboratory for Information and Decision Systems (2018-2019)
- Scientific Advisor for SINTEF Energi (2014-)
- Research Director at SINTEF Energi, Dept. of Energy Systems (2011-2014)
- Research Manager at SINTEF Energi, the System Dynamics team (2009-2011)
- Research scientist at SINTEF Energi (2006-2009)
- Post.doc. at Inst. for elkraftteknikk, NTNU (2004-2006)
- Dr.ing. (PhD) from Dept. of Electric Power Engineering, NTNU (2004) with title: "Distributed energy systems with wind power and energy storage"
- Siv.ing. (MSc) from Theoretical Physics, NTNU (1998)
- Leading Scientific Committee and the work package on Flexible Resources" in the FME research center CINELDI
- Participating in the FME research centres ZEN and HydroCen.
- Leading NTNU research in the EU H2020 project INVADE
- Participating in EERA Joint Programme on Smart Grids, EERA Joint Programme on Wind Energy and EERA Joint Programme on Energy Systems Integration
- Currently participating in the projects
- NTNU Energy Transition Initiative (NETI)
- FuChar - Grid and Charging Infrastructure of the Future
- FINE - Flexible Integration of Local Energy Communities into the Norwegian Electricity Distribution System
- Modelling Distributed Resources in Smart Distribution Grid
- EV4EUR - Environmental assessment of electric vehicle deployment pathways for Europe
- Previous projects (selected)
- MultiSharm - Day-Ahead Bidding with Multiple Short-Term Markets
- HydroBalance - Large-scale balancing and energy storage from Norwegian hydropower
- NSON (North Sea Offshore Networks)
- Integrating Balancing Markets in Hydro Power Scheduling
- MAD - Models for Aggregation and Disaggregation
- SOVN - A new fundamental market model including individual water values and grid constraints
- InGrid - Integration of Power Transmission Grids
- OADE - Open and Autonomous Digital Ecosystems
- HYPER - Liquefied hydrogen production from surplus wind/hydro power and fossil sources in Norway
- CEDREN HydroBalance
- Some past projects I contributed to during my SINTEF time:
Main Supervisor for:
- Espen Flo Bødal: Production of Hydrogen from Hydro- and Wind Power in Transmission Constrained Areas.
- Hans Ole Riddervold: Automated short-term production planning for hydro- and wind power
- Dimitri Pinel: Optimal investment in the energy system in Zero Emission Neighbourhoods
- Stanislas Merlet: Hybridization of Hydropower Plants with Floating PV: Design and Optimization
- Magnus Askeland: Policy Issues for distributed energy resources as part of larger energy systems
- Øystein Rognes Solheim: Reinforcement learning in handling failures in the power system
- Linn Emelie Schäffer: Modelling of environmental constraints in hydropower scheduling
- Emil Dimanchev: Managing Energy Transitions: New Methids and Insights for Simultaneous Electricity Decarbonization and Transport Electrification
Previous PhD candidates (main supervisor):
- Ingeborg Graabak (main supervisor): Balancing of wind and solar production in Northern Europe with Norwegian hydropower (Electric Power Eng, NTNU)
- Martin Kristiansen: Optimization of onshore- and offshore power grid infrastructures
- Salman Zaferanlouei: Integration of Electric Vehicles with Smart Grid
- Martin Hjelmeland: Long-Term Scheduling of Hydro Power in Multiple Markets
- Markus Löschenbrand: Utilization of hydro power in short-term electricity markets
- Kasper Thorvaldsen: Techno-economic models of energy flexible buildings in the future smart grid (IEL NTNU)
- Per Aaslid: Optimal coordination of distributed energy resources (IEL NTNU)
- Matthias Hofmann: Demand-side flexibility as an alternative to investments in the transmission grid (IEL, NTNU)
- Sigurd Bjarghov: Consumer-centric electricity market design integrating peer-to-peer and flexibility markets (IEL, NTNU)
- Stian Backe: Transition Pathways Towards Zero Emission Neighbourhoods (Industrial Economy, NTNU)
- Outi Pitkänen: Integrating end-user knowledge in demand-response technology and service design (KULT, NTNU)
- Erick Fernando Alves: Power quality and system stability in islanded hybrid energy systems with energy storage
- Andreas Kleiven: Optimal operation and valuation of hydropower plants (Industrial Economy, NTNU)
- Philipp Härtel: Implications of alternative flexibility sources for the cost-benefit allocation in offshore grids (Univ. of Kassel and Fraunhofer IWES)
Previous Phd candidates (co-supervisor):
- Antonio Zecchino: Electric vehicles in the Nordic countries: Control strategies for coordinated grid services (DTU/NTNU collaboration)
- Martin Håberg: Exchange of Standard Products for Balancing in the European Power Market (Electric Power Eng., NTNU and Statnett)
- Stig Ødegaard Ottesen (co-superviosr): Techno-Economic Models in Smart Grids (Industrial Economy, NTNU)
- Rubén Montañés (co-supervisor): Dynamic process simulation of decarbonized power generation (Energy and Process Eng., NTNU)
- Christopher Johan Greiner (co-supervisor): Sizing and Operation of Wind-Hydrogen Energy Systems (Electric Power Eng., NTNU)
- Main supervisor for 10 project/master students 2019/2020
- Responsible for Experts in Team Village on Sustainable Energy Systems (2020-)
- Responsible for the the PhD course "Power Market Theory" (2014-)
- Responsible for the PhD course "Power Production Planning (2020-)
- Lecturer in the 1-year course "Energy and the Environment" (2014-)
- Lecturer in the EVU course ET6205 The future distribution grid" (2020-)
- Main supervisor for 10 project/master students 2017-2018
- Main supervisor for 8 project/master students 2016-2017
- Main supervisor for 14 project/master students 2015-2016
- Main supervisor for 10 project/master students 2014-2015
- Responsible for the 3-year course "Energy Planning and Operation" (2014-2018)
- Lecturer in the 4-year course "Energy Management in Bulidings" 2014-2017
- Responsible for the EVU-course "Production planning in hydro-based power systems" (2014)
Media and dissemination (mainly in Norwegian)
- Fornybaren (Podcast): Er elbiler bra for klimaet?, 27.10.2020
- Solenergiklyngen (Podcast): Sol og batterier i energisystemet, 21.10.2020
- Innlegg i Adresseavisen:Det du skriver om elektrifisering høres helt feil ut, og det er det også. 17.09.2020
- Kommentar i energiogklima.no: Hvorfor bry oss med å bygge ut vindkraft i Norge? 08.08.2019
- Intervju i faktisk.no: Viral vindkraft-video er full av feil. 23.06.2020
- Artikkel i gemini: Batterier blir en del av strømnettet, 25.06.2018
- Intervju i Dagnes Næringsliv: Merkel åpner for dieselforbud i Tyskland, 23.08.2017
- Harby, Atle; Korpås, Magnus. Kabler gir vinn-vinn. Innlegg i Dagens Næringsliv, 21.08.2017
- Doorman, Gerard; Korpås, Magnus. Dyr Strøm? Innlegg i Dagens Næringsliv, 30.01.2017
- Intervju i NRK Trøndelag: Vindmøller gir billigere strøm, 24. feb 2016
- Killingtveit, Ånund; Harby, Atle; Korpås, Magnus. Norge som leverandør av balansekraft. Produksjonsteknisk konferanse 2016 (PTK2016); 2016-03-07 - 2016-03-09
- Korpås, Magnus. Nye trender skaper utfordringer for dagens beslutningsstøttesystemer. Smart Energy 2015; 2015-01-29 - 2015-01-30
- Korpås, Magnus; Aam, Sverre; Tomasgard, Asgeir. Norges voksende rolle i Europas energisystem. I: Energi, teknologi og klima - utfordringer og handlingsrom. Museumsforlaget AS 2015 ISBN 9788283050240. s. 169-182
- Korpås, Magnus; Vereide, Kaspar; Gogstad, Peter Joachim. Vannkraft - Ren energi som verdens batteri. EFIKS 2015; 2015-10-13 - 2015-10-14
- Kronikk i Aftenposten 9. nov 2015: Norge må bli Europas batteri
- Kronikk i Dagens Næringsliv 11. juni 2015: Elbiler kan trigge vindsatsing
- Kronikk i Adresseavisen 3. juni 2015: Viktig rolle i et fornybart Europa
- Repotasje i Dagens Næringsliv 28.oktober 2014: "Vil doble norsk vannkraft"
- Debattinnlegg i Dagens Næringsliv 30. mai 2014: "Kampen om virkemidlene"
- Presentasjon ved Kungliga Ingerniörvetenskapsakademien, Stockholm 28. mai 2014 "Market Aspects of Balancing"
- Deltager i NRK P2 EKKO innslag 21. mai 2014: "Er el-bilen grønn?"
- Foredrag for Stortingets energi- og miljøkomite 10. mars 2014 "Elektrifisering og bruk av offshore vind"
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2021) Pricing electricity in constrained networks dominated by stochastic renewable generation and electric energy storage. Electric power systems research.
- (2021) Optimal investment in the energy system of Zero Emission Neighborhoods considering the refurbishment of the building stock. E3S Web of Conferences. vol. 238 (06001).
- (2021) Internal hydro- and wind portfolio optimisation in real-time market operations. Renewable Energy. vol. 173.
- (2021) BATTPOWER Toolbox: Memory-Efficient and High-Performance Multi-Period AC Optimal Power Flow Solver. IEEE Transactions on Power Systems.
- (2020) Non-linear charge-based battery storage optimization model with bi-variate cubic spline constraints. Journal of Energy Storage. vol. 32.
- (2020) Helping end-users help each other: Coordinating development and operation of distributed resources through local power markets and grid tariffs. Energy Economics. vol. 94.
- (2020) Heat and electric vehicle flexibility in the European power system: A case study of Norwegian energy communities. International Journal of Electrical Power & Energy Systems. vol. 125.
- (2020) Robust planning of distributed battery energy storage systems in flexible smart distribution networks: A comprehensive study. Renewable & Sustainable Energy Reviews. vol. 123:109739.
- (2020) Decarbonization synergies from joint planning of electricity and hydrogen production: A Texas case study. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy. vol. 45 (58).
- (2020) Addressing technical challenges in 100% variable inverter‐based renewable energy power systems. Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews: Energy and Environment. vol. 9 (5).
- (2020) System impact studies for near 100% renewable energy systems dominated by inverter based variable generation. IEEE Transactions on Power Systems.
- (2020) Interactive protocols for distributed energy resource management systems (DERMS). IET Generation, Transmission & Distribution. vol. 14 USS (11).
- (2020) Power system decarbonization: Impacts of energy storage duration and interannual renewables variability. Renewable Energy. vol. 156.
- (2020) Impact of the CO2 factor of electricity and the external CO2 compensation price on zero emission neighborhoods’ energy system design. Building and Environment. vol. 187.
- (2020) A supervised learning approach for optimal selection of bidding strategies in reservoir hydro. Electric power systems research. vol. 187.
- (2020) Operational Valuation for Energy Storage under Multi-stage Price Uncertainties. arXiv.org.
- (2019) Flexibility Planning of Distributed Battery Energy Storage Systems in Smart Distribution Networks. Iranian Journal of Science and Technology - Transactions of Electrical Engineering.
- (2019) Equilibrium assessment of storage technologies in a power market with capacity remuneration. Sustainable Energy Technologies and Assessments. vol. 31.
- (2019) Optimal Operation of Battery Storage for a Subscribed Capacity-Based Power Tariff Prosumer—A Norwegian Case Study. Energies. vol. 12 (23).
- (2019) Two-stage hybrid stochastic/robust optimal coordination of distributed battery storage planning and flexible energy management in smart distribution network. Journal of Energy Storage. vol. 26.