Background and activities
I am heading the research group "Electricity Markets and Energy Systems Planning" at the Department of Electric Power Systems at NTNU. My interests are especially focused towards integration of renewable energy in the energy system. My research activities includes:
- Market design for power markets with variable renewable energy sources and storage
- Optimization of energy storage and distributed flexible resources in connection with renewables (investment and operation)
- Download my first Matlab-based simulation model here (still working!): Windhydtools
- The use of hydro power as a balancing asset
- Go to the HYDROBALANCE homepage
- Investment planning of grids, including a future North Sea Grid
- Start here
- Large scale integration of renewable energy sources in Europe
- Professor at Dept. of Electric Power Engineering, NTNU (2014-)
- Visiting Scholar at MIT Laboratory for Information and Decision Systems (2018-2019)
- Scientific Advisor for SINTEF Energi (2014-)
- Research Director at SINTEF Energi, Dept. of Energy Systems (2011-2014)
- Research Manager at SINTEF Energi, the System Dynamics team (2009-2011)
- Research scientist at SINTEF Energi (2006-2009)
- Post.doc. at Inst. for elkraftteknikk, NTNU (2004-2006)
- Dr.ing. (PhD) from Dept. of Electric Power Engineering, NTNU (2004) with title: "Distributed energy systems with wind power and energy storage"
- Siv.ing. (MSc) from Theoretical Physics, NTNU (1998)
- Leading Scientific Committee and the work package on Flexible Resources" in the FME research center CINELDI
- Participating in the FME research centres ZEN and HydroCen.
- Leading NTNU research in the EU H2020 project INVADE
- Participating in EERA Joint Programme on Smart Grids, EERA Joint Programme on Wind Energy and EERA Joint Programme on Energy Systems Integration
- Currently participating in the projects
- NTNU Energy Transition Initiative (NETI)
- FuChar - Grid and Charging Infrastructure of the Future
- FINE - Flexible Integration of Local Energy Communities into the Norwegian Electricity Distribution System
- Modelling Distributed Resources in Smart Distribution Grid
- EV4EUR - Environmental assessment of electric vehicle deployment pathways for Europe
- Previous projects (selected)
- MultiSharm - Day-Ahead Bidding with Multiple Short-Term Markets
- HydroBalance - Large-scale balancing and energy storage from Norwegian hydropower
- NSON (North Sea Offshore Networks)
- Integrating Balancing Markets in Hydro Power Scheduling
- MAD - Models for Aggregation and Disaggregation
- SOVN - A new fundamental market model including individual water values and grid constraints
- InGrid - Integration of Power Transmission Grids
- OADE - Open and Autonomous Digital Ecosystems
- HYPER - Liquefied hydrogen production from surplus wind/hydro power and fossil sources in Norway
- CEDREN HydroBalance
- Some past projects I contributed to during my SINTEF time:
Main Supervisor for:
- Espen Flo Bødal: Production of Hydrogen from Hydro- and Wind Power in Transmission Constrained Areas.
- Hans Ole Riddervold: Automated short-term production planning for hydro- and wind power
- Dimitri Pinel: Optimal investment in the energy system in Zero Emission Neighbourhoods
- Stanislas Merlet: Hybridization of Hydropower Plants with Floating PV: Design and Optimization
- Magnus Askeland: Policy Issues for distributed energy resources as part of larger energy systems
- Øystein Rognes Solheim: Reinforcement learning in handling failures in the power system
- Linn Emelie Schäffer: Modelling of environmental constraints in hydropower scheduling
- Emil Dimanchev: Managing Energy Transitions: New Methids and Insights for Simultaneous Electricity Decarbonization and Transport Electrification
Previous PhD candidates (main supervisor):
- Ingeborg Graabak (main supervisor): Balancing of wind and solar production in Northern Europe with Norwegian hydropower (Electric Power Eng, NTNU)
- Martin Kristiansen: Optimization of onshore- and offshore power grid infrastructures
- Salman Zaferanlouei: Integration of Electric Vehicles with Smart Grid
- Martin Hjelmeland: Long-Term Scheduling of Hydro Power in Multiple Markets
- Markus Löschenbrand: Utilization of hydro power in short-term electricity markets
- Kasper Thorvaldsen: Techno-economic models of energy flexible buildings in the future smart grid (IEL NTNU)
- Per Aaslid: Optimal coordination of distributed energy resources (IEL NTNU)
- Matthias Hofmann: Demand-side flexibility as an alternative to investments in the transmission grid (IEL, NTNU)
- Sigurd Bjarghov: Consumer-centric electricity market design integrating peer-to-peer and flexibility markets (IEL, NTNU)
- Stian Backe: Transition Pathways Towards Zero Emission Neighbourhoods (Industrial Economy, NTNU)
- Outi Pitkänen: Integrating end-user knowledge in demand-response technology and service design (KULT, NTNU)
- Erick Fernando Alves: Power quality and system stability in islanded hybrid energy systems with energy storage
- Andreas Kleiven: Optimal operation and valuation of hydropower plants (Industrial Economy, NTNU)
- Philipp Härtel: Implications of alternative flexibility sources for the cost-benefit allocation in offshore grids (Univ. of Kassel and Fraunhofer IWES)
Previous Phd candidates (co-supervisor):
- Antonio Zecchino: Electric vehicles in the Nordic countries: Control strategies for coordinated grid services (DTU/NTNU collaboration)
- Martin Håberg: Exchange of Standard Products for Balancing in the European Power Market (Electric Power Eng., NTNU and Statnett)
- Stig Ødegaard Ottesen (co-superviosr): Techno-Economic Models in Smart Grids (Industrial Economy, NTNU)
- Rubén Montañés (co-supervisor): Dynamic process simulation of decarbonized power generation (Energy and Process Eng., NTNU)
- Christopher Johan Greiner (co-supervisor): Sizing and Operation of Wind-Hydrogen Energy Systems (Electric Power Eng., NTNU)
- Main supervisor for 10 project/master students 2019/2020
- Responsible for Experts in Team Village on Sustainable Energy Systems (2020-)
- Responsible for the the PhD course "Power Market Theory" (2014-)
- Responsible for the PhD course "Power Production Planning (2020-)
- Lecturer in the 1-year course "Energy and the Environment" (2014-)
- Lecturer in the EVU course ET6205 The future distribution grid" (2020-)
- Main supervisor for 10 project/master students 2017-2018
- Main supervisor for 8 project/master students 2016-2017
- Main supervisor for 14 project/master students 2015-2016
- Main supervisor for 10 project/master students 2014-2015
- Responsible for the 3-year course "Energy Planning and Operation" (2014-2018)
- Lecturer in the 4-year course "Energy Management in Bulidings" 2014-2017
- Responsible for the EVU-course "Production planning in hydro-based power systems" (2014)
Media and dissemination (mainly in Norwegian)
- Fornybaren (Podcast): Er elbiler bra for klimaet?, 27.10.2020
- Solenergiklyngen (Podcast): Sol og batterier i energisystemet, 21.10.2020
- Innlegg i Adresseavisen:Det du skriver om elektrifisering høres helt feil ut, og det er det også. 17.09.2020
- Kommentar i energiogklima.no: Hvorfor bry oss med å bygge ut vindkraft i Norge? 08.08.2019
- Intervju i faktisk.no: Viral vindkraft-video er full av feil. 23.06.2020
- Artikkel i gemini: Batterier blir en del av strømnettet, 25.06.2018
- Intervju i Dagnes Næringsliv: Merkel åpner for dieselforbud i Tyskland, 23.08.2017
- Harby, Atle; Korpås, Magnus. Kabler gir vinn-vinn. Innlegg i Dagens Næringsliv, 21.08.2017
- Doorman, Gerard; Korpås, Magnus. Dyr Strøm? Innlegg i Dagens Næringsliv, 30.01.2017
- Intervju i NRK Trøndelag: Vindmøller gir billigere strøm, 24. feb 2016
- Killingtveit, Ånund; Harby, Atle; Korpås, Magnus. Norge som leverandør av balansekraft. Produksjonsteknisk konferanse 2016 (PTK2016); 2016-03-07 - 2016-03-09
- Korpås, Magnus. Nye trender skaper utfordringer for dagens beslutningsstøttesystemer. Smart Energy 2015; 2015-01-29 - 2015-01-30
- Korpås, Magnus; Aam, Sverre; Tomasgard, Asgeir. Norges voksende rolle i Europas energisystem. I: Energi, teknologi og klima - utfordringer og handlingsrom. Museumsforlaget AS 2015 ISBN 9788283050240. s. 169-182
- Korpås, Magnus; Vereide, Kaspar; Gogstad, Peter Joachim. Vannkraft - Ren energi som verdens batteri. EFIKS 2015; 2015-10-13 - 2015-10-14
- Kronikk i Aftenposten 9. nov 2015: Norge må bli Europas batteri
- Kronikk i Dagens Næringsliv 11. juni 2015: Elbiler kan trigge vindsatsing
- Kronikk i Adresseavisen 3. juni 2015: Viktig rolle i et fornybart Europa
- Repotasje i Dagens Næringsliv 28.oktober 2014: "Vil doble norsk vannkraft"
- Debattinnlegg i Dagens Næringsliv 30. mai 2014: "Kampen om virkemidlene"
- Presentasjon ved Kungliga Ingerniörvetenskapsakademien, Stockholm 28. mai 2014 "Market Aspects of Balancing"
- Deltager i NRK P2 EKKO innslag 21. mai 2014: "Er el-bilen grønn?"
- Foredrag for Stortingets energi- og miljøkomite 10. mars 2014 "Elektrifisering og bruk av offshore vind"
- ET8209 - Methods for Power Production Scheduling
- ET6205 - The distribution grid of the future
- TET4135 - Energy Systems Planning and Operation
- TET4565 - Electricity Markets and Energy System Planning, Specialisation Course
- ET8208 - Power Market Theory
- TEP4225 - Energy and Environment
- TVM5140 - Economic Assessment of Hydropower Projects
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2014) Electricity for the future. Pan European Networks: Science and Techology Magazine.
- (2014) North Sea offshore network and energy storage for large scale integration of renewables. Sustainable Energy Technologies and Assessments. vol. 11 (147).
- (2013) Balancing of Wind Power Variations using Norwegian Hydro Power. Wind Engineering : The International Journal of Wind Power. vol. 37 (1).
- (2013) Electrification of offshore petroleum installations with offshore wind integration. Renewable Energy. vol. 50.
- (2013) Transmission planning for wind energy in the United States and Europe: status and prospects. Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews: Energy and Environment. vol. 2 (1).
- (2012) Balancing Market Integration in the Northern European Continent: A 2030 Case Study. IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy. vol. 3 (4).
- (2012) A Case-Study on Offshore Wind Power Supply to Oil and Gas Rigs. Energy Procedia. vol. 24.
- (2012) Impact of Offshore Wind Power on System Adequacy in a Regional Hydro-based Power System with Weak Interconnections. Energy Procedia. vol. 24.
- (2012) Planning and Operation of Large Offshore Wind Farms in Areas with Limited Power Transfer Capacity. Wind Engineering : The International Journal of Wind Power. vol. 36 (1).
- (2011) A framework to determine optimal offshore grid structures for wind power integration and power exchange. Wind Energy. vol. 14 (8).
- (2008) Opportunities for hydrogen production in connection with wind power in weak grids. Renewable Energy. vol. 33.
- (2006) Operation Planning of Hydrogen Storage Connected to Win Power Operating in a Power Market. IEEE transactions on energy conversion. vol. 21 (3).
- (2003) Operation and sizing of energy storage for wind power plants in a market system. International Journal of Electrical Power & Energy Systems. vol. 25.
Part of book/report
- (2013) Pumped Storage Hydropower. Transition to Renewable Energy Systems.
- (2012) Onshore and Offshore Transmission Expansion in the European Grid for Large Scale Wind Integration in the North Sea. CIGRE Session 44, 26th to 31st August 2012 : set of papers.
- (2011) Impact of system power losses on the value of an offshore grid for North Sea offshore wind. PowerTech 2011 Proceedings.
- (2009) Impact of TradeWind offshore wind power capacity scenarios on power flows in the European HV network. Wind power : alternative energy source. 7th International Workshop on Large Scale Integration of Wind Power and on Transmission Networks for Offshore Wind Farms.
- (2006) Increasing the network in-feed accuracy of wind turbines with energy storage devices. The 6th World Energy System Conference Proceedings.
- (2005) Assessment of isolated energy systems based on wind power and hydrogen storage in an artic environment. CIGRE Symposium Athens 2005 Power systems with dispersed generation.
- (2005) A Norwegian case study on the production of hydrogen from wind power. Proceedings of the 2nd European Hydrogen Energy Conference.
- (2005) Design of wind and hydrogen stand-alone power systems using a probalistic method. CIGRE Symposium Athens 2005 Power systems with dispersed generation.
- (2005) Probabilistic sizing of wind and hydrogen power systems for remote areas. 15th Power Systems Computation Conference 2005 - PSCC 2005 Liege.
- (2005) A logistic model for assesment of wind power combined with electrolytic hydrogen production in weak grids. 15th Power Systems Computation Conference 2005 - PSCC 2005 Liege.
- (2014) Energi- og miljøpåvirkning av elbil Systemanalyse med EMPS (Samkjøringsmodellen). 2014. ISBN 9788259435828. SINTEF Energi. Rapport (TR A7385).
- (2013) Evaluating North Sea grid alternatives under EU’s RES-E targets for 2020. 2013. ISBN 9788259435620. SINTEF Energi. Rapport (TR A7325).
- (2006) Hydrogen Production from Wind Power in Weak Grids. 2006.
- (2015) Norwegian pumped hydro for providing peaking power in a low-carbon European power market – Cost comparison against OCGT and CCGT. EEM15 : 12th INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON THE EUROPEAN ENERGY MARKET . ISEL; Lisboa. 2015-05-19 - 2015-05-22.
- (2014) Norge er Europas billigste batteri. adressa.no [Internett]. 2014-10-30.
- (2014) Utsirahøyden: - Staten bør betale for offshore strømnett og vindmøller. Stavanger Aftenblad [Avis]. 2014-04-04.
- (2014) Norwegian pumped hydro for providing peak load power in Northern Europe: Cost comparison against OCGT. Renewable Energy Research Conference 2014 . Universitetet i Oslo / SFFE; Oslo. 2014-06-16 - 2014-06-18.
- (2014) North Sea Offshore Network - NSON. EERA DeepWind'2014 Deep Sea Offshore Wind R&D Conference . SINTEF Energi; Trondheim. 2014-01-22 - 2014-01-24.
- (2014) Nærmere et supernett. Energiteknikk s.7 [Fagblad]. 2014-11-10.
- (2014) Norge er Europas billigste batteri. adressa.no [Internett]. 2014-10-28.
- (2013) Pumped Storage Hydropower. 3rd International Conference on Energy Process Engineering . DECHEMA; Frankfurt am Main. 2013-06-04 - 2013-06-06.
- (2013) Hydro and balancing - Flexible generation and storage from Norwegian hydropower to balance variable renewable energy. 6. Niedersäschische Energietage . Energie-Forschungszentrum Niedersachsen; Gosler. 2013-10-16 - 2013-10-17.
- (2013) Pumped storage hydropower in Norway - Flexible generation and storage to balance variable renewable energy. DTU International Energy Conference 2013 . Denmark Technical University (DTU); Lyngby. 2013-09-10 - 2013-09-12.
- (2012) Opportunities and challenges for hydropower development in the high north. Polar Might - Energies of the High North . Arctic Frontiers 2012; Tromsø. 2012-01-22 - 2012-01-27.
- (2006) Hydrogen Production from Wind Power in Weak Grids. Nordic Wind Power Conference, 2006 . Nordic Wind Power Conference, 2006; Espoo. 2006-05-22 - 2006-05-23.
- (2006) Planning and operation of large wind farms in areas with limited power transfer capacity. EWEC 2006 European Wind Energy Conference . EWEC 2006 European Wind Energy Conference; Athen. 2006-02-27 - 2006-03-02.
- (2006) Opportunities for Hydrogen Storage in connection with Stochastic Distributed Generation. Conference on Prohabilistic Methods Applies to Power Systems . 9th International Conference on Prohabilistic Methods Applie; Stockholm. 2006-06-11 - 2006-06-15.
- (2006) Increasing the network in-feed accuracy of wind turbines with energy storage devices. The Sixth World Energy System Conference . The Sixth World Energy System Conference; Torino. 2006-07-10 - 2006-07-12.
- (2006) Using storage devices for compensating uncertainties caused by non-dispatchable generators. 9th International Conference on Probalistic Methods Applied to Power Systems, KTH . KTH; Stockholm. 2006-06-11 - 2006-06-15.
- (2005) Assessment of isolated energy systems based on wind power and hydrogen storage in an arctic environment. CIGRE Symposium - Power systems with dispersed generation . CIGRE; Athen. 2005-04-13 - 2005-04-16.