Political instability and armed conflict – Department of Sociology and Political Science
Political Instability and Armed Conflicts
Political Instability and Armed Conflicts
The Department of Sociology and Political Science has an internationally recognized research community on Civil War, International Conflict and Political Instability. The research community has long had close cooperation with PRIO – The Peace Research Institute in Oslo. As part of this cooperation, Halvard Buhaug, researcher at PRIO, is employed as Professor II at the Department. Cooperation with PRIO also encompasses The Research School on Peace and Conflict where University of Oslo is also a partner.
In 2015, this priority area received a NTNU Onsager Fellowship. The Onsager Fellowship is a prestigious programme for recruiting young internationally recognized researchers. Assistant Professor, Charles Butcher, is employed in this position, and has strengthened the competence of the research community in their studies of social mobilization and non-violent resistance.
Our research in this priority area is interdisciplinary. The research community has PhD students in conflict research. The master degree course POL3502 Causes of war and the seminar series VIP (Violence, Institutions and Peace) are important channels for recruiting, supervising, and discussing research in these areas.
The research community on political instability and armed conflicts is involved in several major research projects in association with PRIO and other institutions. Two of these projects, CLIMSEC (financed by European Research Council) and CAVE (financed by the Research Council of Norway), seeks to illuminate possible direct and indirect relations between climate variation and violent conflict. There is also cooperation with the project AfricanBioServices, which, among other studies, will undertake a survey of climate change, shortage of resources and land conflicts in the border region between Kenya and Tanzania.
Tema: Political Instability and Armed Conflicts
- The Anatomy of Resistance Campaigns (ARC). ARC is part of the research project SIVIC.
- CLIMSEC Climate Variability and Security Threats - in cooperation with PRIO.
- CAVE- Climate Anomalies and Violent Environments - in cooperation with PRIO.
- SECVIC - Securing the Victory? Understanding Dynamics of Short-run and Long-Term Success in Popular Uprisings and Democratization? - in cooperation with PRIO.
- Attitudes for Peace: Postconflict Public Opinion.
- TRUST: Attitudinal Impacts of Refugees on Host Communities in the Global South - in cooperation with PRIO
- Dyrstad, Karin og Helga Malmin Binningsbø (2019): Between Punishment and Impunity: Public Support for Reactions against Perpetrators in Guatemala, Nepal and Northern Ireland. International Journal of Transitional Justice.
- Bjørneseth, Frida; Smidt, Martin; Stachowski, Jakub. (2019): Gender, parenthood, and feelings of safety in Greek refugee centres. Journal of Refugee Studies.
- Bakken, Ingrid Vik; Rustad, Siri Camilla Aas. (2018): Conflict Trends in Africa, 1989–2017. Conflict Trends (6).
- Dyrstad, Karin; Binningsbø, Helga Malmin; Brigham, Thandeka; Bakke, Kristin M. (2018):Transitional Justice: What Do the People Want? Views from the ground in Guatemala, Nepal, and Northern Ireland. Conflict Trends
- Smidt, Martin; Theisen, Ole Magnus. (2018): Climate Change and Conflict: Agriculture, Migration and Institutions. Crisis and Conflict in Agriculture. CABI.
- Butcher, Charles; Gray, John Laidlaw; Mitchell, Liesel. (2018): Striking it Free? Organized labor and the outcomes of civil resistance. Journal of Global Security Studies. vol. 3 (3).
- Eide, Arne Henning; Dyrstad, Karin; Munthali, Alister; Van Rooy, Gert; Braathen, Stine Hellum; Halvorsen, Thomas; Persendt, Frans; Mvula, Peter; Rød, Jan Ketil. (2018:) Combining survey data, GIS and qualitative interviews in the analysis of health service access for persons with disabilities. BMC International Health and Human Rights. vol. 18 (26).
- Mandal, Roland; Dyrstad, Karin. (2017): Explaining variations in general practitioners’ experiences of doing medically based assessments of work ability in disability benefit claims. A survey-based analysis. Cogent Medicine. vol. 4.
- Visagie, Surona; Eide, Arne Henning; Dyrstad, Karin; Mannan, Hasheem; Swartz, Leslie; Schneider, Marguerite; Mji, Gubela; Munthali, Alister; Khogali, Mustafa; van Rooy, Gert; Hem, Karl-Gerhard; MacLachlan, Malcolm. (2017): Factors related to environmental barriers experienced by persons with and without disabilities in diverse African settings. PLoS ONE. vol. 12 (10).
- Butcher, Charles. (2017): Geography and the outcomes of civil resistance and civil war. Third World Quarterly. vol. 38 (7).
- Butcher, Charles; Goldsmith, Benjamin. (2017): Elections, Ethnicity, and Political Instability. Comparative Political Studies. vol. 50 (10).
- Theisen, Ole Magnus; Gleditsch, Nils Petter. (2017): Resources, the environment, and conflict. Routledge Handbook of Security Studies.
- Theisen, Ole Magnus; Gleditsch, Nils Petter; Buhaug, Halvard. (2017) Climate change and violence: Reviewing the evidence. States and peoples in conflict: Transformations of conflict studies.
- Butcher, Charles; Griffiths, Ryan D. (2017): Between Eurocentrism and Babel: A Framework for the Analysis of States, State Systems, and International Orders. International Studies Quarterly. vol. 61 (2).
- Goldsmith, Benjamin; Butcher, Charles. (2017): Genocide Forecasting: Past Accuracy and New Forecasts to 2020. Journal of Genocide Research.
- Nanlohy, Sascha; Butcher, Charles; Goldsmith, Benjamin E. (2017): The Policy Value of Quantitative Atrocity Forecasting Models. RUSI Journal. vol. 16 (2).
- Dyrstad, Karin; Binningsbø, Helga Malmin; Dyrstad, Karin; Binningsbø, Helga Malmin; Bakke, Kristin; Eide, Arne Henning. (2016): Public Support for Peace Agreements: The Cases of Guatemala, Nepal, and Northern Ireland. Conflict Trends.
Charles Robert Butcher Professor+47-73590606 firstname.lastname@example.org Department of Sociology and Political Science
Indra de Soysa Professor+47-73596048 +47-+4773591758 +47-+4799420213(mobile) email@example.com Department of Sociology and Political Science
Karin Dyrstad Professor+47-73413278 firstname.lastname@example.org Department of Sociology and Political Science
Amelie Sien R Godefroidtamelie.email@example.com
Jo Jakobsen Professor+47-73551141 +47-98060137 firstname.lastname@example.org Department of Sociology and Political Science
Thea Johansen PhD Candidate+47-73559473 email@example.com Department of Sociology and Political Science
Eline Drury Løvlien Associate Professor+47-73559127 firstname.lastname@example.org Department of Teacher Education
Zan Strabac Professorzan.email@example.com Department of Sociology and Political Science
Ole Magnus Theisenole.firstname.lastname@example.org Department of Geography
Marius Swane Wishman Postdoctoral Fellowmarius.email@example.com Department of Sociology and Political Science