LIM: Language, Integration, Media
(For teachers interested in the teacher seminar in December 2018, please see the Norwegian LIM webpage.)
Today’s migration situation has brought opportunities and challenges to the Norwegian education system. LIM addresses both through a focus on integration of students of upper secondary school age (VGs). Research shows that learning strategies that include both Norwegian and migrant students are important for successful integration. In LIM we will develop three innovative and engaging learning opportunities for Norwegian and migrant students aimed at improving academic and integration outcomes. LIM will deliver the following courses:
· LearnNowYouth: A Norwegian as a second language online course for adolescent migrants addressing their interests and specific language needs.
· We are all migrants: A social studies course encouraging critical thinking on migration, with variants for both migrant and upper secondary VGs students.
· Digitac: An online and face-to-face course pairing together upper secondary VGs and migrant students to produce joint digital stories and create new computer games on migration.
The project will work closely with LIM’s local school partners to ensure that both teachers and students are closely involved in the course development. The project’s multidisciplinary team are from NTNU’s Dept. of Language and Literature, Teacher Education, Interdisciplinary Studies of Culture and Education and Lifelong Learning.
The project is based at Department of Language and Literature and funded by the Norwegian Research Council (NFR) under the Research and Innovation in the Educational Sector (FINNUT) program ((VAM) for the period 2017-2020).
We Are All Migrants
The LIM project collaborates with the following international partners:
- Dr. Claudia Schneider, Anglia Ruskin University
- Dr. Yongcan Liu, University of Cambridge
- Professor Madeleine Arnot, University of Cambridge
The LIM project collaborates with UNICEF Norway, and with local high schools and schools for adult education.
For more information about the project, please contact our project leader:
Priscilla Ringrose, Department of language and literature
For more information about each work package, please contact the work package leader:
Integration: Priscilla Ringrose, Department of Language and Literature
LearnNowYouth: Olaf Husby, Department of Language and Literature
We Are All Migrants: Gunnar Grut, Department of Teacher Education
Digitac: Kristine Ask, Department of Interdisciplinary Studies of Culture