Edmund Førland Brekke
Background and activities
My research is focused on estimation with applications in target tracking, navigation and simultaneous localization and mapping (SLAM). In particular, I am interested in data association, situational awareness and target tracking in the context of collision avoidance for autonomous ships. I am project manager for the Autosea project (www.ntnu.edu/autosea) and a key researcher of the Autoferry project (www.ntnu.edu/autoferry).
- Associate Professor in sensor fusion at the Department of Engineering Cybernetics (NTNU) since 2014. This position was until April 2019 funded as a gift professorship from DNV GL.
- Research Fellow at the Acoustic Research Lab (NUS) 2010-2014.
- Ph.D. in Engineering Cybernetics (NTNU) 2010. Thesis topic: "Clutter Mitigation for Target Tracking".
- M.Sc. in Industrial Mathematics (NTNU) 2005. Thesis topic: "Bayesian Inversion of Time Lapse Seismic Data using a Blocky Model".
TTK4250 Sensor fusion (autumn 2019)
TTK4225 Systems theory, introduction (autumn 2014-2018)
TK8102 Non-linear state estimation (next time spring 2020)
- Audun Gullikstad Hem - Fusion between AIS and exteroceptive sensors (integrated PhD, part of Autosit project)
- Trym Tengesdal - Risk-based COLREGS Compliant Collision Avoidance for Autonomous Ships (medveileder)
- Øystein Kaarstad Helgesen - Sensor fusion for autonomous ferry (part of NTNU Autoferry project)
- Lars-Christian Tokle - Sensor fusion for autonomous ferry (affiliated with NTNU Autoferry project)
- Elias Hasle - Intelligent Situational Awareness (co-supervisor)
- Georgios Kavallieratos - Security of the Cyber-enabled ship (co-supervisor)
- Simen Haugo - Visual SLAM (co-supervisor)
- Inger B. Hagen - Collision avoidance for autonomous ferry (affiliated with NTNU Autoferry project)
- Marco Leonardi - Underwater sensor fusion based SLAM and path planning for AUVs (co-supervisor)
- Elias Bjørne - Globally stable SLAM using nonlinear observers (co-supervisor)
- Erik F. Wilthil - Maritime target tracking with varying sensor performance (affiliated with Autosea project). Graduated October 2019.
- Andreas L. Flåten - Multisensor Tracking for Collision Avoidance (part of Autosea project).
- Bjørn-Olav H. Eriksen - Motion Control and Collision Avoidance for Autonomous Surface Vehicles (part of Autosea project, co-supervisor). Graduated August 2019.
- Albert Sans Muntadas - Path-Planning, Guidance and Navigation tools for Docking of Underactuated AUVs (co-supervisor, funded by AMOS). Graduated June 2018.
See http://folk.ntnu.no/edmundfo/autoseastudents/autoseastudents.html for a list of students involved in autonomous ship activities.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2018) Relationship between Finite Set Statistics and the Multiple Hypothesis Tracker. IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems. vol. 54 (4).
- (2018) Radar-based Maritime Collision Avoidance using Dynamic Window. IEEE Aerospace Conference ; 2018-03-02 - 2018-03-09.
- (2018) MPC-based Collision Avoidance Strategy for Existing Marine Vessel Guidance Systems. IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation.
- (2017) Constrained Posterior Cramér-Rao Bound for Discrete-Time Systems. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 50 (1).
- (2017) Cascade Attitude Observer for the SLAM ﬁltering problem. IEEE Conference on Control Technology and Applications ; 2017-08-27 - 2017-08-30.
- (2017) Redesign and Analysis of Globally Asymptotically Stable Bearing Only SLAM. 20th International Conference on Information Fusion (FUSION) ; Xian. 2017-07-10 - 2017-07-13.
- (2017) Cascade Attitude Observer for the SLAM ﬁltering problem. IEEE Control Systems.
- (2017) The multiple hypothesis tracker derived from finite set statistics. 2017 20th International Conference on Information Fusion.
- (2017) Suboptimal Kalman Filters for Target Tracking with Navigation Uncertainty in One Dimension. 2017 IEEE Aerospace Conference.
- (2017) Rao-blackwellized particle filter for turn rate estimation. 2017 IEEE Aerospace Conference.
- (2017) Stability of line-of-sight based trajectory-tracking in two dimensions. 2017 IEEE Conference on Control Technology and Applications (CCTA).
- (2017) AIS-based vessel trajectory prediction. 2017 20th International Conference on Information Fusion.
- (2017) Spatially Indexed Clustering for Scalable Tracking of Remotely Sensed Drift Ice. 2017 IEEE Aerospace Conference.
- (2017) Cooperative Remote Sensing of Ice using a Spatially Indexed Labeled Multi-Bernoulli Filter. 2017 International Conference on Unmanned Aircraft Systems.
- (2017) Vehicle Guidance with Control Action Computed by a Rao-Blackwellized Particle Filter. ASCC 2017 ; 2017-09-18.
- (2017) Vehicle Guidance with Control Action Computed by a Rao-Blackwellized Particle Filter. Proceedings of the 2017 Asian Control Conference.
- (2017) Spiral path planning for docking of underactuated vehicles with limited FOV. 2017 IEEE Conference on Control Technology and Applications (CCTA).
- (2017) Learning an AUV docking maneuver with a convolutional neural network. OCEANS 2017 MTS/IEEE Anchorage.
- (2017) A Target Tracking System for ASV Collision Avoidance Based on the PDAF. Sensing and Control for Autonomous Vehicles: Applications to Land, Water and Air Vehicles.
- (2016) Performance Prediction of Tracking Sensors for Surface Vehicle Collision Avoidance. Proceedings of the 19th International Conference on Information Fusion, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE).
- (2016) Globally Exponentially Stable Kalman Filter for SLAM with AHRS. Proceedings of the 19th International Conference on Information Fusion, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE).
- (2016) Vision Restricted Path Planning and Control for Underactuated Vehicles. 10th IFAC Conference on Control Applications in Marine Systems CAMS ; 2016-09-13.
- (2016) Vision Restricted Path Planning and Control for Underactuated Vehicles. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 49 (23).
- (2016) A hybrid approach to underwater docking of AUVs with cross-current. OCEANS.
- (2016) Compensation of navigation uncertainty for target tracking on a moving platform. Proceedings of the 19th International Conference on Information Fusion, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE).
- (2015) Robust underwater obstacle detection and collision avoidance. Autonomous Robots. vol. 40 (7).
- (2015) Navigation and Probability Assessment for Successful AUV Docking Using USBL. IFAC Conference on Manoeuvring and Control of Marine Craft ; 2015-08-24.
- (2014) A multi-hypothesis solution to data association for the two-frame SLAM problem. The international journal of robotics research. vol. 34 (1).
- (2014) A novel formulation of the Bayes recursion for single-cluster filtering. 2014 IEEE Aerospace Conference; Big Sky, MT; United States; 1-8 March 2014.
- (2014) Robust Underwater Obstacle Detection for Collision Avoidance. International Symposium on Experimental Robotics . International Foundation of Robotics Research; Marrakech/Essaouira. 2014-06-15 - 2014-06-18.
- (2013) Bayesian multi-hypothesis scan matching. OCEANS'13 . MTS/IEEE; Bergen. 2013-06-10 - 2013-06-14.
- (2012) Improved Target Tracking in the Presence of Wakes. IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems. vol. 48 (2).
- (2011) The Modified Riccati Equation for Amplitude-Aided Target Tracking in Heavy-Tailed Clutter. IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems. vol. 47 (4).
- (2010) Clutter Mitigation for Target Tracking. Norges teknisk-naturvitenskapelige universitet. 2010. ISBN 978-82-471-2229-7. Doktoravhandlinger ved NTNU (131).
- (2010) Tracking Small Targets in Heavy-Tailed Clutter Using Amplitude Information. IEEE Journal of Oceanic Engineering. vol. 35 (2).
- (2009) Tracking of targets with state dependent measurement errors using recursive BLUE filters. FUSION 2009, the 12th International Conference on Information Fusion . IEEE; Seattle. 2009-07-06 - 2009-07-09.