Edmund Førland Brekke
Background and activities
My research is focused on estimation with applications in target tracking, navigation and simultaneous localization and mapping (SLAM). In particular, I am interested in data association, situational awareness and target tracking in the context of collision avoidance for autonomous ships. I played a leading role in shaping research on these topics at NTNU as project manager of the Autosea project (www.ntnu.edu/autosea). I am currently project manager for the successive Autosit project (www.ntnu.edu/autosit), a key researcher of the Autoferry project (www.ntnu.edu/autoferry) and a work package leader in SFI Autoship (https://www.ntnu.edu/sfi-autoship/).
- Associate Professor in sensor fusion at the Department of Engineering Cybernetics (NTNU) since 2014. This position was until April 2019 funded as a gift professorship from DNV GL.
- Research Fellow at the Acoustic Research Lab (NUS) 2010-2014.
- Ph.D. in Engineering Cybernetics (NTNU) 2010. Thesis topic: "Clutter Mitigation for Target Tracking". Supervisors: Oddvar Hallingstad and John Glattetre.
- M.Sc. in Industrial Mathematics (NTNU) 2005. Thesis topic: "Bayesian Inversion of Time Lapse Seismic Data using a Blocky Model". Supervisors: Håkon Tjelmeland, Jo Eidsvik and Youness El Ouair.
TTK4250 Sensor fusion (autumn 2019, 2020)
TTK4225 Systems theory, introduction (autumn 2014-2018)
TK8102 Non-linear state estimation (spring 2016, 2018, 2020)
- Kjetil Vasstein - Digital twin (part of TRUSST project)
- Ernesto Lopez - Pose estimation and extended object tracking for situational awareness in autonomous maritime vessels (co-supervisor, part of Autosit project)
- Audun Gullikstad Hem - Fusion between AIS and exteroceptive sensors (integrated PhD, part of Autosit project)
- Trym Tengesdal - Risk-based COLREGS Compliant Collision Avoidance for Autonomous Ships (co-supervisor)
- Øystein Kaarstad Helgesen - Sensor fusion for autonomous ferry (part of NTNU Autoferry project)
- Lars-Christian Tokle - Sensor fusion for autonomous ferry (affiliated with NTNU Autoferry project)
- Elias Hasle - Intelligent Situational Awareness (co-supervisor)
- Georgios Kavallieratos - Security of the Cyber-enabled ship (co-supervisor)
- Simen Haugo - Visual SLAM (co-supervisor)
- Inger B. Hagen - Collision avoidance for autonomous ferry (affiliated with NTNU Autoferry project)
- Marco Leonardi - Underwater sensor fusion based SLAM and path planning for AUVs (co-supervisor)
- Elias Bjørne - Globally stable SLAM using nonlinear observers (co-supervisor). Graduated December 2019.
- Erik F. Wilthil - Maritime target tracking with varying sensor performance (affiliated with Autosea project). Graduated October 2019.
- Bjørn-Olav H. Eriksen - Motion Control and Collision Avoidance for Autonomous Surface Vehicles (part of Autosea project, co-supervisor). Graduated August 2019.
- Albert Sans Muntadas - Path-Planning, Guidance and Navigation tools for Docking of Underactuated AUVs (co-supervisor, funded by AMOS). Graduated June 2018.
See http://folk.ntnu.no/edmundfo/autoseastudents/autoseastudents.html for a list of students involved in autonomous ship activities.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2020) Globally Stable Velocity Estimation Using Normalized Velocity Measurement. The international journal of robotics research. vol. 39 (1).
- (2019) On Kalman filtering with linear state equality constraints. Automatica. vol. 101.
- (2019) The Autosea project: Developing closed-loop target tracking and collision avoidance systems. Journal of Physics: Conference Series (JPCS). vol. 1357 (1).
- (2019) Track-to-track data fusion for Unmanned Traffic Management System. IEEE Aerospace Conference. Proceedings. vol. 2019-March.
- (2019) The branching-course model predictive control algorithm for maritime collision avoidance. Journal of Field Robotics (JFR). vol. 36 (7).
- (2019) Sensor Combinations in Heterogeneous Multi-sensor Fusion for Maritime Target Tracking. 22nd International Conference on Information Fusion.
- (2019) Autonomous maritime collision avoidance: Field verification of autonomous surface vehicle behavior in challenging scenarios. Journal of Field Robotics (JFR).
- (2019) Autonomous COLREGs-Compliant Decision Making using Maritime Radar Tracking and Model Predictive Control. 2019 18th European Control Conference (ECC).
- (2019) AUV guidance and docking using a convolutional neural network. IFAC Journal of Systems and Control.
- (2019) Path planning and guidance for underactuated vehicles with limited field-of-view. Ocean Engineering. vol. 174.
- (2019) Estimation of Target Detectability for Maritime Target Tracking in the PDA Framework. 22nd International Conference on Information Fusion.
- (2019) Robust state estimation for fouling evolution in batch processes using the EM algorithm. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 52 (1).
- (2018) Development of a Dynamic Positioning System for the ReVolt Model Ship. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 51 (29).
- (2018) Relationship between Finite Set Statistics and the Multiple Hypothesis Tracker. IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems. vol. 54 (4).
- (2018) Success Rates and Posterior Probabilities in Multiple Hypothesis Tracking. 2018 21st International Conference on Information Fusion (FUSION).
- (2018) The Neighbor Course Distribution Method with Gaussian Mixture Models for AIS-based Vessel Trajectory Prediction. 2018 21st International Conference on Information Fusion (FUSION).
- (2018) Radar-based Maritime Collision Avoidance using Dynamic Window. IEEE Aerospace Conference. Proceedings. vol. 2018-March.
- (2018) MPC-based Collision Avoidance Strategy for Existing Marine Vessel Guidance Systems. IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA).
- (2018) Proactive Collision Avoidance for ASVs using A Dynamic Reciprocal Velocity Obstacles Method. IEEE International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems. Proceedings.
- (2018) Track Initiation for Maritime Radar Tracking with and without Prior Information. 2018 21st International Conference on Information Fusion (FUSION).
- (2017) Constrained Posterior Cramér-Rao Bound for Discrete-Time Systems. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 50 (1).
- (2017) Unscented Multi-Point Smoother for Fusion of Delayed Displacement Measurements: Application to Agricultural Robots. Modeling, Identification and Control. vol. 38 (1).
- (2017) Cascade Attitude Observer for the SLAM ﬁltering problem. IEEE Control Systems.
- (2017) Redesign and Analysis of Globally Asymptotically Stable Bearing Only SLAM. 2017 20th International Conference on Information Fusion.
- (2017) The multiple hypothesis tracker derived from finite set statistics. 2017 20th International Conference on Information Fusion.
- (2017) Suboptimal Kalman Filters for Target Tracking with Navigation Uncertainty in One Dimension. 2017 IEEE Aerospace Conference.
- (2017) Rao-blackwellized particle filter for turn rate estimation. 2017 IEEE Aerospace Conference.
- (2017) Stability of line-of-sight based trajectory-tracking in two dimensions. 2017 IEEE Conference on Control Technology and Applications (CCTA).
- (2017) AIS-based vessel trajectory prediction. 2017 20th International Conference on Information Fusion.
- (2017) Spatially Indexed Clustering for Scalable Tracking of Remotely Sensed Drift Ice. 2017 IEEE Aerospace Conference.
- (2017) Cooperative Remote Sensing of Ice using a Spatially Indexed Labeled Multi-Bernoulli Filter. 2017 International Conference on Unmanned Aircraft Systems.
- (2017) Vehicle Guidance with Control Action Computed by a Rao-Blackwellized Particle Filter. Proceedings of the 2017 Asian Control Conference.
- (2017) Spiral path planning for docking of underactuated vehicles with limited FOV. 2017 IEEE Conference on Control Technology and Applications (CCTA).
- (2017) Learning an AUV docking maneuver with a convolutional neural network. OCEANS 2017 MTS/IEEE Anchorage.
- (2017) A Target Tracking System for ASV Collision Avoidance Based on the PDAF. Sensing and Control for Autonomous Vehicles: Applications to Land, Water and Air Vehicles.
- (2016) Performance Prediction of Tracking Sensors for Surface Vehicle Collision Avoidance. Proceedings of the 19th International Conference on Information Fusion, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE).
- (2016) Globally Exponentially Stable Kalman Filter for SLAM with AHRS. Proceedings of the 19th International Conference on Information Fusion, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE).
- (2016) Vision Restricted Path Planning and Control for Underactuated Vehicles. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 49 (23).
- (2016) A hybrid approach to underwater docking of AUVs with cross-current. OCEANS.
- (2016) Compensation of navigation uncertainty for target tracking on a moving platform. Proceedings of the 19th International Conference on Information Fusion, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE).
- (2015) Robust underwater obstacle detection and collision avoidance. Autonomous Robots. vol. 40 (7).
- (2015) Navigation and probability assessment for successful AUV docking using USBL. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 48 (16).
- (2014) A multi-hypothesis solution to data association for the two-frame SLAM problem. The international journal of robotics research. vol. 34 (1).
- (2014) A novel formulation of the Bayes recursion for single-cluster filtering. IEEE Aerospace Conference ; Big Sky, MT. 2014-03-01 - 2014-03-08.
- (2014) A novel formulation of the Bayes recursion for single-cluster filtering. 2014 IEEE Aerospace Conference; Big Sky, MT; United States; 1-8 March 2014.
- (2014) Robust Underwater Obstacle Detection for Collision Avoidance. International Symposium on Experimental Robotics . International Foundation of Robotics Research; Marrakech/Essaouira. 2014-06-15 - 2014-06-18.
- (2013) Bayesian multi-hypothesis scan matching. OCEANS'13 . MTS/IEEE; Bergen. 2013-06-10 - 2013-06-14.
- (2012) Improved Target Tracking in the Presence of Wakes. IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems. vol. 48 (2).
- (2011) The Modified Riccati Equation for Amplitude-Aided Target Tracking in Heavy-Tailed Clutter. IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems. vol. 47 (4).
- (2010) Clutter Mitigation for Target Tracking. Norges teknisk-naturvitenskapelige universitet. 2010. ISBN 978-82-471-2229-7. Doktoravhandlinger ved NTNU (131).
- (2010) Tracking Small Targets in Heavy-Tailed Clutter Using Amplitude Information. IEEE Journal of Oceanic Engineering. vol. 35 (2).
- (2009) Tracking of targets with state dependent measurement errors using recursive BLUE filters. FUSION 2009, the 12th International Conference on Information Fusion . IEEE; Seattle. 2009-07-06 - 2009-07-09.