Background and activities
Main research areas
Smart Grid: Modeling and Stability Analysis of Power Electronics Systems
AC power electronics system is a relatively new development whose non-linear dynamics and broadband control in interaction with the electrical grid can bring potential incompatibility leading to instability. With the proliferation of distributed energy resources, micro-and smart grids, the largely electromechanical power system that we know today is being transformed into a large AC power electronics system. This brings fundamental changes with a profound impact on grid characteristics and stability requiring a new paradigm in system analysis and control. Instability derived from converter control-grid interaction, and constant power behavior has recently been identified, but the fundamental mechanism behind the interactions and the extent to which these interactions can affect the stable operation of the electrical grid, are scarcely understood. Classical stability analysis methods are not able to deal with the wide range of problems. A general stability analysis method to deal with these new and complex dynamic interactions is not known today.
In this newly started research area, I will attempt to combine non-linear methods with simulation and experimental techniques to develop a general system-level methodology and tools to analyze and predict the instability of AC power electronics systems.
Specifically I will determine:
- the nature and the range of influence of power electronics control in the stability of the electrical grid,
- the effect of non sinusoidal supply on the instability related to power electronics,
- causal relationship between power electronics control algorithm and grid stability to establish design guidelines for system stability.
Understanding these phenomena will allow diagnosing system condition by the developed tool, thus being able to prevent system outage to avoid interruption of one of society's main economic driving forces: electricity. In other words, this will mean a fundamental step towards a minimum-outage system planning for the future development of smart grids.
Renewable Energy: Grid integration of renewable energy sources through power electronics couplings
The current trend of massive integration of renewable energy sources in the electricity grid poses new technological and research challenges that are addressed in this area of my research activities.
Research efforts are dedicated to:
- Power electronics role in the integration of wind, solar and ocean wave power.
- Energy storage in the integration of wind and wave energy parks.
- Offshore AC and DC grid infrastructure for the integration of large scale wind and wave power.
Sustainable Energy Supply: Developments projects in developing countries
This area of my activities is dedicated to the realization of development projects to provide access to energy in a sustainable and reliable way in isolated regions of developing countries. This activity is done in collaboration with Engineers Withour Borders Norway, the non-profit organisation Renewable Energy for Peace (ren-PEACE), and several supporting industries and partners.
A Master project is going to start in August 2012 on the topic "Sustainable Energy Supply in Nicaragua"
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2019) Extremum-Seeking Control for Harmonic Mitigation in Electrical Grids of Marine Vessels. IEEE transactions on industrial electronics (1982. Print). vol. 66 (1).
- (2019) Frequency Domain Modelling and Stability Analysis of a DFIG-based Wind Energy Conversion System Under None-compensated AC Grids: ImpedanceModelling Effects and Consequences on Stability. IET Power Electronics.
- (2018) Optimal Sizing of Energy Storage Systems for Shipboard Applications. IEEE transactions on energy conversion. vol. 1 (1).
- (2018) A Meta-Parameterized Approach for the Evaluation of Semiconductor Technologies. IEEJ Journal of Industry Applications. vol. 7 (3).
- (2018) A meta-parameterized approach for the evaluation of semiconductor technologies - A comparison between SiC-MOSFET and Si-IGBT technologies-. IEEJ Journal of Industry Applications. vol. 7 (3).
- (2018) The impact of time-frequency estimation methods on the performance of wave energy converters under passive and reactive control. IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy.
- (2018) Damping region extension for digitally controlled LCL-type grid-connected inverter with capacitor-current feedback. IET Power Electronics. vol. 11 (12).
- (2018) Harmonic State-Space Based Small-Signal Impedance Modeling of Modular Multilevel Converter with Consideration of Internal Harmonic Dynamics. IEEE transactions on power electronics. vol. 1.
- (2018) Localization of Active Brain Sources From EEG Signals Using Empirical Mode Decomposition: A Comparative Study. Frontiers in Integrative Neuroscience. vol. 12.
- (2018) Time-Frequency analysis for nonlinear and non-stationary signals using HHT: A mode mixing separation technique. IEEE Latin America Transactions. vol. 16 (4).
- (2018) On the Impedance Modeling and Equivalence of AC/DC Side Stability Analysis of a Grid-tied Type-IV Wind Turbine System. IEEE transactions on energy conversion.
- (2017) Small-Signal Stability Assessment of Power Electronics based Power Systems: A Discussion of Impedance- and Eigenvalue-based Methods. IEEE transactions on industry applications. vol. 53 (5).
- (2017) Understanding the origin of oscillatory phenomena observed between wind farms and HVDC systems. IEEE Journal of Emerging and Selected Topics in Power Electronics. vol. 5 (1).
- (2017) Impact of power flow direction on the stability of VSC-HVDC seen from the impedance nyquist plot. IEEE transactions on power electronics. vol. 32 (10).
- (2017) Self-synchronisation of Wind Farm in MMC-based HVDC System: A Stability Investigation. IEEE transactions on energy conversion. vol. 32 (2).
- (2017) Properties and physical interpretation of the dynamic interactions between voltage source converters and grid: electrical oscillation and its stability control. IET Power Electronics. vol. 10 (8).
- (2017) Sequence Domain SISO Equivalent Models of a Grid-tied Voltage Source Converter System for Small-Signal Stability Analysis. IEEE transactions on energy conversion.
- (2017) Real-Time Passive Control of Wave Energy Converters Using the Hilbert-Huang Transform. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 50 (1).
- (2017) Instantaneous frequencies of continuous blood pressure A comparison of the power spectrum, the continuous wavelet transform and the Hilbert-Huang transform. Advances in Adaptive Data Analysis. vol. 9 (4).
- (2017) Sub-synchronous Oscillation Mechanism and Its Suppression in MMC-Based HVDC Connected Wind Farms. IET Generation, Transmission & Distribution. vol. 12 (4).
- Electrical power engineering
- Offshore technology
- Ship technology
- Non Stationary signal analysis
- Harmonics and Oscillatory Phenomena
- Hilbert Huang Transform HHT
- Stability Analysis Methods and Tools
- Stability of Power Electronics Systems
- Impedance Based Stability Analysis
- Instantaneous Frequency in Biological and Electrical Systems
- Non Stationary signal analysis EEG ECG Microgrids
- Constant Power Load Instability