Background and activities
Main research areas
Smart Grid: Modeling and Stability Analysis of Power Electronics Systems
AC power electronics system is a relatively new development whose non-linear dynamics and broadband control in interaction with the electrical grid can bring potential incompatibility leading to instability. With the proliferation of distributed energy resources, micro-and smart grids, the largely electromechanical power system that we know today is being transformed into a large AC power electronics system. This brings fundamental changes with a profound impact on grid characteristics and stability requiring a new paradigm in system analysis and control. Instability derived from converter control-grid interaction, and constant power behavior has recently been identified, but the fundamental mechanism behind the interactions and the extent to which these interactions can affect the stable operation of the electrical grid, are scarcely understood. Classical stability analysis methods are not able to deal with the wide range of problems. A general stability analysis method to deal with these new and complex dynamic interactions is not known today.
In this newly started research area, I will attempt to combine non-linear methods with simulation and experimental techniques to develop a general system-level methodology and tools to analyze and predict the instability of AC power electronics systems.
Specifically I will determine:
- the nature and the range of influence of power electronics control in the stability of the electrical grid,
- the effect of non sinusoidal supply on the instability related to power electronics,
- causal relationship between power electronics control algorithm and grid stability to establish design guidelines for system stability.
Understanding these phenomena will allow diagnosing system condition by the developed tool, thus being able to prevent system outage to avoid interruption of one of society's main economic driving forces: electricity. In other words, this will mean a fundamental step towards a minimum-outage system planning for the future development of smart grids.
Renewable Energy: Grid integration of renewable energy sources through power electronics couplings
The current trend of massive integration of renewable energy sources in the electricity grid poses new technological and research challenges that are addressed in this area of my research activities.
Research efforts are dedicated to:
- Power electronics role in the integration of wind, solar and ocean wave power.
- Energy storage in the integration of wind and wave energy parks.
- Offshore AC and DC grid infrastructure for the integration of large scale wind and wave power.
Sustainable Energy Supply: Developments projects in developing countries
This area of my activities is dedicated to the realization of development projects to provide access to energy in a sustainable and reliable way in isolated regions of developing countries. This activity is done in collaboration with Engineers Withour Borders Norway, the non-profit organisation Renewable Energy for Peace (ren-PEACE), and several supporting industries and partners.
A Master project is going to start in August 2012 on the topic "Sustainable Energy Supply in Nicaragua"
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2017) Small-Signal Stability Assessment of Power Electronics based Power Systems: A Discussion of Impedance- and Eigenvalue-based Methods. IEEE transactions on industry applications.
- (2017) Self-synchronisation of Wind Farm in MMC-based HVDC System: A Stability Investigation. IEEE transactions on energy conversion. vol. PP (PP).
- (2017) Apparent impedance analysis: A small-signal method for stability analysis of power electronic based systems. IEEE Journal of Emerging and Selected Topics in Power Electronics.
- (2017) Approaches to Economic Energy Management in Diesel-Electric Marine Vessels. IEEE Transactions on Transportation Electrification. vol. 3 (1).
- (2017) Interaction of Droop Control Structures and its inherent effect on the power transfer limits in multi-terminal VSC-HVDC. IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery. vol. 32 (1).
- (2016) High frequency wind energy conversion system for offshore DC collection grid—Part I: Comparative loss evaluation. Sustainable Energy, Grids and Networks. vol. 5.
- (2016) Understanding the origin of oscillatory phenomena observed between wind farms and HVdc systems. IEEE Journal of Emerging and Selected Topics in Power Electronics. vol. 5 (1).
- (2016) Impact of Power Flow Direction on the Stability of VSC-HVDC Seen from the Impedances Nyquist Plot. IEEE transactions on power electronics.
- (2016) High frequency wind energy conversion system for offshore DC collection grid — Part II: Efficiency improvements. Sustainable Energy, Grids and Networks. vol. 5.
- (2016) Towards a real-time measurement platform for microgrids in isolated communities. Procedia Engineering. vol. 159.
- (2016) Frequency Domain Stability Analysis of MMC-Based HVdc for Wind Farm Integration. IEEE Journal of Emerging and Selected Topics in Power Electronics. vol. 4 (1).
- (2016) The role of electrical energy storage in sub-Saharan Africa. Journal of Energy Storage. vol. 8.
- (2016) A Modified Sequence-Domain Impedance Definition and Its Equivalence to the dq-Domain Impedance Definition for the Stability Analysis of AC Power Electronic Systems. IEEE Journal of Emerging and Selected Topics in Power Electronics. vol. 4 (4).
- (2016) Flow-Based Forward Capacity Mechanism: An Alternative to the regulated Capacity Remuneration Mechanisms in Electricity Market With High RES Penetration. IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy. vol. 7 (2).
- (2016) Optimal Compensation of Harmonic Propagation in a Multi-Bus Microgrid. The Renewable Energies and Power Quality Journal (RE&PQJ).
- (2016) System-Wide Harmonic Mitigation in a Diesel Electric Ship by Model Predictive Control. IEEE transactions on industrial electronics (1982. Print). vol. 63 (7).
- (2016) Past, Present and Future Challenges of the Marine Vessel's Electrical Power System. IEEE Transactions on Transportation Electrification.
- (2016) Impedance-compensated grid synchronisation for extending the stability range of weak grids with voltage source converters. IET Generation, Transmission & Distribution. vol. 10 (6).
- (2016) Discrete-Time Modeling, Stability Analysis, and Active Stabilization of DC Distribution Systems with Multiple Constant Power Loads. IEEE transactions on industry applications. vol. 52 (6).
- (2016) Discrete-time tool for stability analysis of DC power electronics-based cascaded systems. IEEE transactions on power electronics. vol. 32 (1).
- Electrical power engineering
- Offshore technology
- Ship technology
- Non Stationary signal analysis
- Harmonics and Oscillatory Phenomena
- Hilbert Huang Transform HHT
- Stability Analysis Methods and Tools
- Stability of Power Electronics Systems
- Impedance Based Stability Analysis
- Instantaneous Frequency in Biological and Electrical Systems
- Non Stationary signal analysis EEG ECG Microgrids
- Constant Power Load Instability