Sports and Physical Activity – Research – Department of Sociology and Political Science
Sports and Physical Activity
Sports and Physical Activity
Our research in this field provides knowledge about the role of sport in light of social development and in relation to the individual’s life and interactions. This research relates to organised sport, other organised forms of training, physical exercise and sports studies at school, and physical activity in the general population. We examine how these relationships are linked to inequality, communication, culture, motivation, stress and perfectionism.
Tema: Sports and Physical Activity
- Describing and developing the Brazilian jiu-jitsu athlete
- Dual Career Development Environments
- Female athletes - a different talent development process?
- Football Academies
- Fotball and Talent
- Fri på Vandet: A lifestyle intervention for people with stress, anxiety, or depression
- Generasjon 100
- The Influence of Culture and Power Relations on International Sport Policy
- Mapping the field of sport psychology in Scandinavia
- Modernising sport psychology in English football
- The Road to the Top
- Sport Policy and Culture
- The Trondheim Early Secure Study (TESS)
Here are some relevant publications. Please see the researchers' NTNU-profiles for more.
- Larsen, C.H., Storm, L., Sæther, S.A., Pyrdol, N. & Henriksen, K. (2020) A world class academy in professional football: The case of Ajax Amsterdam. Scandinavian Journal of Sport and Exercise Psychology, 2, 33-43.
- Fuhre, J. & Sæther, S.A. (2020) Skill acquisition in a professional and non-professional U16 football team: the use of playing form versus training form. Journal of Physical Education and Sport, 20, 3, 2030-2035.
- Nesse, M., Fusche Moe, V. & Sæther, S.A. (2020) Unified approaches on Talent development in football. Differences and similarities among representatives from the football federation and professional football clubs. Cogent Social Sciences, 1, 6, 1-13.
- Flatgård, G., Larsen, C.H. & Sæther, S.A. (2020) Talent development environment in a professional football club in Norway. Scandinavian Journal of Sport and Exercise Psychology, 2, 8-15.
- Øvretveit, K., Sæther , S.A., & Mehus , I. (2019) Mastery goals are associated with training effort in Brazilian jiu-jitsu. Journal of Physical Education and Sport, 19, 4, 1294-1299.
- Øvretveit, Karsten; Sæther, Stig Arve; Mehus, Ingar. (2018): Achievement goal profiles, and perceptions of motivational climate and physical ability in male jiu-jitsu practitioners. Archives of Budo. vol. 14.
- Agnes Elling, Jorid Hovden and Annelies Knoppers (2018): Gender Diversity in European Sport Governance. Routledge.
- Lagestad, Pål Arild; Mehus, Ingar. (2018): The Importance of Adolescents’ Participation in Organized Sport According to VO2peak: A Longitudinal Study. Research Quarterly for Exercise and Sport.
- Nils Petter Aspvik, Hallgeir Viken, Jan Erik Ingebrigtsen, Nina Zisko, Ingar Mehus, Ulrik Wisløff, Dorte Stensvold (2018)Do weather changes influence physical activity level among older adults. The Generation 100 study. PLOS ONE.
- Sæther, S.A. (2018) Stress among Talents in a Football Academy. Sport Mont Journal
- Aspvik, Nils Petter; Viken, Hallgeir; Zisko, Nina; Ingebrigtsen, Jan Erik; Wisløff, Ulrik; Stensvold, Dorthe (2016): Are older adults physically active enough – a matter of assessment method? The Generation 100 study. PLOS ONE.
- Jorid Hovden (2016): The 'fast track' as a future strategy for achieving gender equality and Democracy in sport organizations in Yves Vanden Auweele, Elaine Cook og Jim Parry (eds) (2016). Ethics and Governance in Sport: The future of sport imagined. Routledge.
We offer the following courses:
- IDRSA1002 Sports Sociology
- IDRSA1003 Child and Youth Sports
- IDRSA1008 Introduction to Sports Science
- IDRSA1010 Physical Education and Sport
- IDRSA1012 Exercise and Health - Physical Education and Sport
- IDRSA1013 Research in Physical Education and Sport
- IDRSA1015 Theory and Methodology of Training
- IDRSA1020 Sport Psychology
- IDRSA2003 Sport, Organization and Management
- IDRSA2004 The Coaching Role
- IDR3034 Motivation in Sports and Physical Education
- IDR3035 Sports, Modernity and Modernisation
- IDR3036 Sports and Social Inequality
- IDR3037 Skills and Performance Development
- IDR3039 Sports, Exercise and Physical Education in Organizational Perspectives
- IDR3040 Sport, Physical Activity and Health
- IDR3041 Practice in Sport